MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
heavy foot = light wallet
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a bit of advice......

got 17s with the standard Pirelli runflats on (205/45/17) and recently lowered the car a fair amount on coilovers.

The problem is due to me being generally tight :p 205/45/17s are pretty expensive compared to similarly sized tyres, i was wondering a. if 215/40/17 would rub with the car being lowered and b. anyone running 205/40/17 tyres as i am worried they will look a bit out of place and i quite like the current profile on my car.

any help would be appreciated :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
most people on coilovers run 205/40, 215 will give you rub all i can say is the quicker you junk the ditch seeking runlflats the better (i recommend some nice yoko parada spec2's theres a chap who sells them whole sale on ebay for 55 quid a tyre)

·
heavy foot = light wallet
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fair enough, looks like i will be buying four 205/40 paradas then, bargain :D. cheers for your help James!

·
Registered
460 Posts
no worries chap, i have no hesitation in recommending tyre suppliers as its not viable for a small company like us to hold most in stock as after 6 months on a shelf the rubber goes off a bit.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
i know that 215 on cars lower than 30mm will rub simple as.
There are other factors which effect rubbing besides the amount of lowering ... wheel width and offset plus tire make and model. Without knowing more of this information, I don't see how you can say that 215/40-17 will rub for fact.

Perhaps those running 215/40-17 tires and coilovers will chime in to relate their experiences.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i was talking in reference to the stock offsets, which this chap runs on his s-spokes, it is however an observation of mine that on cars that run 215 profile tyres be it 17 or 18 on the mini the chances of them flowing the rear arches and front suspension, are a near certainty. I accept my statement was a bit black and white.

While it is possible to minimize the risk with appropriate spring rates and damper settings and the correct offset, also the choice of springs on the front may necessitate the use of spacers (straight springs such as those on comp spec coilovers) reduce the risk of fowling.

I have personally seen cars running 205, that have required spacers to clear the front suspension, part of this is also a trade off for low can you go on the road with considerations such as speed bumps and passengers, the lower you go on the rear will require the use of rear control arms to make sure the rears are not so off camber they flow any part of the car.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I run 215/45 on spax coilovers lowered a fair bit from stock, not rubbing even with the car loaded with 2 folks and all the kit for a weeks touring in scotland.

I also ran 215/40 on -35 KWs and they never rubbed... ET 45 on TD Pro Race 1.2s

I ran 215/45 on the KWs too and the only rub I got was when the back was a bit heavy and at full travel rebound the little black clip on tabs on the rear arches would just touch a fraction.

·
Registered
460 Posts
True i should have been more specific (i blame the later hour of my posts and my headache)

99% of the rubbing ive seen has been on cars running - 40mm, the problems usually occur with wide tyres flowing the top coil on the front, and some rubbing in the back with passengers / full tank of juice, this can also happen on some cars with older lowering springs that have gone soft over the years / with shot bump stops and shocks.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
1000+ roughtly once fitted costs included, depends on supplier. I think his came from GTT as a few of the few sets that Roland might have aquired through ATEs supplier in the UK (eurocarparts)... I was just in the process of getting some from them when they suddenly disapeared from sale at eurocarparts altogether ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts