MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DrJ
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The run flats have met their match with greasy roads and 210bhp and to be honest if I wasn't such a tight fisted ******* I would have binned them ages ago. GoodYear NCT 5's should never have been put as original equipment a Cooper S in my opinion. They are probably fine for rep-mobiles cruising the motorway network but are pretty poor otherwise.

4 Toyo Proxes T1-R 205/50 16 going on next week. 2 ?'s:

1) Do I need a can of tyre weld stuff AND a compressor or will the tyre stuff do by itself?

2) If I do need the compressor do you blow the tyre up when flat and then put in the stuff or the other way around?

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
I think some of the Tyre Welds will also inflate the tyre to a certain amount just enough to get you to a garage/home.
I have Toyo T1's-Excellent in the dry and wet-Not great for these greasy roads-But is ne tyre?!

·
See you in my rear view!!
901 Posts
I need to change my tyres soon and was going to ask the same two questions. I have about 4mm left on the fronts but cannot believe how much wheel spin I am getting recently!! Even in 3rd.....especially when flooring it and it hits the magic 4500rpm!

I am thinking of PZero Nero's. How do they compare to the toyo's?

(Sorry for off topic!)

Jones! :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've got a can of tyre weld and a small Michellin compressor, better to be safe than sorry and it means I can check my tyre pressures more often.

I've got PZero's and I think they're wonderful! I can't compare them to the Toyo's as I've never used them, but compared to what I had on other cars, they're not as good as Bridgestone S-02's but better than Eagle F1's. IMO.

·
DrJ
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the Pirelli tires certainly look good with plenty of good reviews.

I think I will get a compressor as well but do you use that before or after you put in the tire weld :confused:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Jones said:
I need to change my tyres soon and was going to ask the same two questions. I have about 4mm left on the fronts but cannot believe how much wheel spin I am getting recently!! Even in 3rd.....especially when flooring it and it hits the magic 4500rpm!

I am thinking of PZero Nero's. How do they compare to the toyo's?

(Sorry for off topic!)

Dunno about the Toyo's, but I have the P Zeros and they're great :cool:

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
Holtz tyre weld is the gunky stuff but it also inflates your tyre all in one can ,and it fits in inside the cubby hole on either the left or right of the boot.I did purchase a compressor with some official MINI tyre gunk when i changed my previous MINI to non runflats but on reading the instructions it wasn't suitable for the 17" tyres i had.Hence why i bought the Holtz tyreweld, i checked to make sure it was okay to use with my tryes and it was.I didn't use the tyre weld or the official gunk although i had quite a few punctures.I was never that far from home or a garage so i just used the compressor to blow it up until i could get to have it repaired.Wilkinsons/Wilko do a compressor for about £10

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
Unlucky eh...what i didn't say was that i had a tack in the left rear in the first month of ownership....a six inch nail that went across the tyre tread but only went through the tread and not the tyre, again ,left rear...then a rusty screw in the .........left rear and finally once i changed to non runflats i had a puncture in my new Bridgestone in the ........wait for it........yes......the left rear.So i'm inclined to agree with the unlucky verdict.

·
See you in my rear view!!
901 Posts
Wow....!!

Ok....might be a daft question but is this tyre gunk that people are talking about....
- Is it stuff you put in at the point when you have a puncture?
- Or is it stuff you put in the tyre to prevent punctures and then inflate the tyre?
- If the puncture is not to severe and can be repaired, how do you remove the tyre gunk from the tyre?
- Do I need my car re-balanced/aligned (eg - KDS) when I have non-runflats fitted?
- Does the tyre pressure monitor in the Mini's still work with Non-runflats?
- I am not sure whether it is the combo of increased torque through the JCW upgrade and the wintery roads, but are people with non runflats noticing increase in wheel spin? It has got to the point now where I cannot floor it in either first, second and even sometimes in thrid!! Is it just that the tread on my tyres is wearing a bit low now (about 4mm)....??

Cheers people! Looking forward to some new PZero Nero's!!

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
My understanding is that you use the gunk in the event of a severe puncture, in which case you would need to replace the tyre anyway. Note, to use the gunk I have in my car you place a small 6" piece of hose/pipe on to the valve and turn the can upside down and spray. It then re-inflates the tyre and helps to seal the puncture.

If you just have a slow leaking tyre you can probably just keep reinflating with air in the traditional manner until you can get to your local tyre place who should be able to repair the tyre to be as good as new.

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
Regarding the Run Flat Indicator,yes it still works with non runflats,apparently it uses the ABS to monitor the speed of the rotation or something like that(i'm sure someone can explain it correctly) so its not actually related to the runflat but whatever tyre you have on the rim.In itself a very handy device.When i specced my new MINI ONE i opted to have the spare wheel as piece of mind for when i change to non runflats.I will say that i was expecting quite a difference in ride quality when i swopped to the non runflat rubber on my previous MINI but i didn't find that to be the case,there didn't seem to be much difference at all,apart from the price...the Bridgetone Potenzas i put on were £100 each as opposed to £167 i was quoted for a Pirelli euphoria(surely they should be had under the trades descriptions act,who'd be euphoric after paying for 4 of those.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.