MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Bought a can of the above (large size as indicated on can for larger tyres). My question is - if I get a flat, will the can blow up the tyre as well as seal the puncture or do I need a compressor too?
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it's Holts tyre Weld it inflates the tyre as well. I bought some when I ditched the runflats.
It's also the same stuff that my VX220 had.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's Holts - I thought it inflated the tyre from the instructions on the can but wanted to check - thanks

·
MCS R53 Red and ******
42 Posts
Anyone with experience of this product should the unfortunate happen?...how far does it get you and what should you limit your speed to?

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
The Holts tyre weld will also inflate your tyre enough to get you moving. Once you've emptied the can of gunk into your tyre, you need to drive at a steady pace for a few miles to evenly distribute the sealant.

I would then limit myself to 50mph for 100 miles just like a run flat ;)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The Holts tyre weld will also inflate your tyre enough to get you moving. Once you've emptied the can of gunk into your tyre, you need to drive at a steady pace for a few miles to evenly distribute the sealant.

I would then limit myself to 50mph for 100 miles just like a run flat ;)
Is this info gleened from personal experience Jon ?. I have a couple of cans of Holt's tyreweld in my boot, but have not needed to use it to date ;).

·
I get my kicks in an R56
481 Posts
I used it in the busy streets of Nice in France when andyminiseven got a puncture, and rather than use his MINI mobility system, we used my can of tyre weld as it was at the top of my boot!!

It inflated the tyre in a couple of minutes and we were then able to drive to a tyre place to get a new tyre. We never could have changed a wheel where we stopped, and the Tyre Weld was definately a safer option, and it worked!

·
mini fiddler
85 Posts
"Holts tyreweld has been designed as a temporary repair in order get you home/to the garage, and is only recommended as such by Holts.
Holts Tyreweld is the only Tyre sealant on the market to recieve endorsement from the National Tyre Distribution Association (NTDA), this is due to the product being a water based latex emulsion.
Which can be simply washed out of the tyre using warm soapy water, and then following British Standards for tyre repair (AU:159) any dried remnants can be removed with a buffing wheel to ensure good adhesion of the repair patch.
Regarding permanent repair, Holts have an agreement in place with all 205+ National Tyre & Autocare branches (who are the second largest tyre repair company in the UK) to repair any tyre treated with Tyreweld for an additional small surcharge for the added labour time - provided the puncture damage is not too severe."

·
Snoo
51 Posts
"Holts tyreweld has been designed as a temporary repair in order get you home/to the garage, and is only recommended as such by Holts.
Holts Tyreweld is the only Tyre sealant on the market to recieve endorsement from the National Tyre Distribution Association (NTDA), this is due to the product being a water based latex emulsion.
Which can be simply washed out of the tyre using warm soapy water, and then following British Standards for tyre repair (AU:159) any dried remnants can be removed with a buffing wheel to ensure good adhesion of the repair patch.
Regarding permanent repair, Holts have an agreement in place with all 205+ National Tyre & Autocare branches (who are the second largest tyre repair company in the UK) to repair any tyre treated with Tyreweld for an additional small surcharge for the added labour time - provided the puncture damage is not too severe."
For the past flamin week i have been contemplating getting the space saver kit to fit a spare under the boot. Iv rung BMW Mini 3 times and tried to find adecent wheel & tyre at a fair price to no avail. £99.14 inc vat at the dealership + the cost ov the kit to fit the spare which is roughly £102 inc vat. Dealership want £22.71 for their own tyre weld. Read your threads about Holts tyre weld and i think im going to chose this option, I can get 4 x 400ml cans for £18.56. OBVIOUSLY BMW Mini are going to advise against this but they would do wouldnt they as they stand to lose £200 on the wheel & kit or a mere £22.71 on their gunk. im going to ring National Tyres in my home town and double check about Holts Tyre weld & its safety/reliability but i think you guys have steered me onto the right road:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts