MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the giant add-on cup holder from the downtube? My 2003 MCS didn't come with it, MINIUSA sent me the smaller cup and I stuck it in the cupholder and never used it. I didn't eat or drink in my MINI, so I didn't care about the size of the cupholder. Besides, the rear one holds bottled water just fine. (OK, so I occasionally brought bottled water on board).

I think the add-on cupholder looks out of place and in the way. I'm wondering if its installation and/or removal scratches or damages the downtube in any way.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I removed mine the other day. No scratches on the downtubes after removal, just a philips head screw clamping it to the downtube. It got in the way of shifting and passenger. :cool:

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
I hate that cupholder

I'd rather have good floor mats than that dopey contraption :rolleyes:

dont 05's get bigger cupholders? Jimbo

·
Registered
111 Posts
pezhead444 said:
I removed mine the other day. No scratches on the downtubes after removal, just a philips head screw clamping it to the downtube. It got in the way of shifting and passenger. :cool:
That's a relief seeing as how I planned on removing that as soon as I got home with the car. I have the worst luck with that stuff anyway, so it'll probably explode when I take the screwdriver to it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sequence said:
I'd rather have good floor mats than that dopey contraption :rolleyes:

dont 05's get bigger cupholders? Jimbo
O5's are supposed to get redesigned giant cupholders that are bolted on, but the first pictures I've seen of the early 05's have the older ones. Either way, I'm inclined to remove it.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I removed mine about 2 weeks after I got the MINI.

Unscrew the phillips screw and pop it off. Easy as can be. I did splay out the legs of the clamp a bit though so they didn't rub and scratch the downtube.

·
Registered
57 Posts
if any of you fellas wanna get rid of your cupholders, i'd be interested in buying one off of ya. I make long trips every week, and i could use a cupholder that can hold a bottle of water or something wihout me having to reach back everytime i need a drink.

·
Ride The Dragon!
304 Posts
When I go home I'll see if I still have it laying around. If I do, it's yours. I'll send you a PM about 6ish if I find it.

-Paul!

·
Registered
111 Posts
jinubob81 said:
paul, thanks a bunch! if you can find it, that would be awesome.
If he doesn't, you can have mine. Assuming I get it and don't want it, that is. I am fairly sure that'll be the case and I'd rather just give it to someone who'll use it than try to sell it.

·
Slave to my MINI
316 Posts
Mine didn't even make it through the first day...LOL...it was a nice thought and gesture on MINI's part, but I hated the look of it and the passenger knee space it took. (I already gave it away long ago...)

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
That'll be the first thing coming off my mini when I get it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I took mine off the first day i drove my Mini home it looks so out of place. so whoever wants it its yours no charge but live in the USA somewhere ill pay for postage for u :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
MiniSMan
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing