MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going home today, I stopped off at the local Mazda dealer to see if I could snag a deal on a left over B2300 truck.. Mazda has a hell of a time selling them and this particular dealer at one time had four 2006 model year leftovers earlier this year!!:aargh::aargh:

So I get there and what do I see? A 2008 Mazdaspeed3!! Sheesh, I thought that they had sold the last of those earlier this year as there were only supposed to be 5000 of them made for the model year..

And this one was loaded. with the new Alcantra seats 263HP and 280 ftlbs of torque I had to take test drive having remembered what they were like a year ago.

This this is a bona fide rocket.

****. Now what do I do. Its $5K cheaper than the MINI cooper S convertible. Has the same luxury features, much more versatility, better warranty ( 5 year 60K powertrain) more room inside.

Crap dingle damns... I just HAD to drive it again didn't I?

I just put a 1K deposit ( refundable) down on a '08 Pepper White Sidewalk with black english leather, chrono package, with limited slip.

I got an extra $1500.00 off MSRP as well so the price is 30K before tax/title/license etc.

So now, I have to do some serious decision making. I have to consider the long term with this one since I will have it for at least 4-5 years which for me is an eternity. I need a car that will provide smiles, as well as practicality or at least passable practicality.

and 5K is nothing to sneeze at...

So? what do I do? Am I missing something? My brain perhaps?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Mini will keep its value way more than a Mazda

Why do you need a truck? be Greener and have a MINI!

The MINI will be better on gas too im sure!

And you have put a deposit down already - this shows the dealer you are interested - if you want some money off tell them you can only afford so much and they might lower the price a little for you. If you dont ask you dont get.

Plus everyone treats you like a celeb when you own a MINI....no one used to speak to me in the street when I had my old car, after a day of owning the MINI 4 people have talked to me HAHA

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
The Mazda 3 is due for a complete Face Lift next year, so that will hit residuals very hard!

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
The Mazda 3 is due for a complete Face Lift next year, so that will hit residuals very hard!
There's no such thing as a complete face-lift. Cars are either face-lifted or replaced with the new model (2004 vs 2006 in the case of MINI).

A face-lift is when an existing model is changed slightly to 'freshen' it and keep demand high, and happens mid-way through the life-cycle (it's already happened on the Mazda 3).

Mass-produced cars have a life-cycle of 6-7 years at most, so you are never more than 3-3½ years away from either a face-lift or a replacement model. If people worried about this they would never buy cars at all.

Besides which, Mini1966 has said they are looking at keeping the car 4-5 years, so residuals are clearly not a factor.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The reviews here never rate the Mazda 3 MPS at all. It's fast in a straight line but apparently has vague steering and is a bit lifeless around corners.

The Cooper S is very easy to tune and a LOT more fun in every aspect.

I reckon If you need versatility buy the MINI and buy a cheap runabout for those times when it will come in handy.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
:aargh:That is one ugly car. This is the easiest decision anyone could make - BUY THE MINI.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hard to deny the horsepower on the Mazdaspeed. In a straight line, the Mazda ought to be faster than the MINI.

But here in Canada, recently, there was the "Clubman Challenge" where MINI Canada allowed us to testdrive (on a slalom type test track), a Clubman vs Golf GTI vs Volvo C30 vs Mazda 3GT.

It was noted that the Mazda 3 GT compared more closely to the Clubman Cooper in price and features.

To tell you the truth, the Mazda felt like the runt of the bunch in handling, interior materials, and chassis integrity. When driving the cars one right after the other on the same track, you can tell the Mazda was less expensive. Slam the doors and MINI's doors do a solid thump. The Mazda's sort of went clink. The MINIs handling, especially in emergency lane change type maneuvers was far more progressive, whereas the Mazda's fell like a panic emergency maneuver.

Granted, my comparison happened in Canada, as there may be some differences. It's not for me to tell you what to buy, but you should do a side by side comparison and rather extensive test drives of both before making your decision.

·
Uranus is composed of gas
3,507 Posts
I'm with April: Both cars are great. I don't think you'll regret your decision, whichever one you choose.

As others have pointed out, the MINI does hold it's value better than any other small car. Honestly, I'd save the 5 grand, but only because I'm dirt poor right now and 5 grand would be a brand new fence for my ghetto house. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts