MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the new car tx changes going to affect us? anyone know.

My R56 doesn't seem to be the most fuel economical car on the planet. No I dont thrash it senseless

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
I think it's still related to CO2 emissions not economy, but I'm not sure what the new banding will be

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
I can't post a link to whatgreencar.com, but it's only beaten by things like the Subaru Justy and Kia Picanto - fancy driving one of those? ;)

·
Registered
755 Posts
If you think an R56 is poor, try an R53 Cooper S.

Tax on my JCW goes to £300 next year and £310 in 2010.

How much longer are "the population" going to put up with this?

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Try parkers for the rates based on models and age - tells you for ANY car:

Road tax - Parker's

You'll have to change it to your model, but this will tell you what it will be until about 2010.

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
Hope could be out there, I thought it was under discussion of trashing the planned "Green taxed brigade" increase?

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I do hope it gets destroyed! If you think about it, road tax should be based on weight - a cooper does no more damage than a one to a road - road tax is to maintain roads yes! So therefore, a weight system would be far superior!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Mine's just cost me £66.00 for a 1.2 litre car; I think it's not too bad. I'm more upset at the rising fuel costs :hmph:

·
Totally Insane!
7,800 Posts
It is ridiculous! I know that we need to become more green, but what they are doing is penalising people who made a choice on the car they got a number of years ago. They will notice the increase in tax next year and also have a car that is worth considerably less and be harder to sell! Plus some people just can't afford to buy a newer more fuel efficient car!

They also claim its to make people think about the 2nd hand cars they are buying!! But surely that means there will be more cars sitting out depreciating rather than people buying them! They certainly won't be old enough or unroadworthy enough to be scrapped! Hows any of this green?? Or helping the current economical climate!!

:mad:

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
My answer is that there really isn't any point in us bothering to try to change - until large countries such as USA/China do something then our change isn't worth doing!

A solar scientist, David Archibald (I think) says that global warming is to do with solar cycles, not co2, rather we should put out more co2 to help the third world! I feel a JCW S coming on! In my dreams anyway!;)

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
My answer is that there really isn't any point in us bothering to try to change - until large countries such as USA/China do something then our change isn't worth doing!
well, that's a particularly lazy way to think about it ... wait until everyone else has done something, then tag along ... in a world full of followers, no one leads.

lowest-common-denominator isn't helpful.

·
The real JT
2,787 Posts
I wonder if this will make my 2000 Mini more valuable if/when I sell it, as the road tax on that is based on engine size not emissions?

That's a very short-sighted view to have on any subject.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I wasn't saying that, I was merely saying that no matter what we do, it will change nothing. So we need to get large countries on side before we can actually believe that we are going to change something. I'm merely saying that we can't change anything, so why waste time taxing everyone?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts