MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my dealer is a bit shy on the information front (and insists on treating me like a mushroom - you know the deal), I've put down a second deposit with another dealer. Both deposits are 100% refundable, and both dealers reckon they can sell my car several times over if I don't want it (no surprise there). Interestingly I wasn't that far 0down the list at the second dealers compared to the first, despite the 6 months gap - presumably, despite the unwillingness of no.1 to keep me informed, thy've ben a lot more aggressive/successful at getting people to sign up to the S (certainly they were taking deposits at a time when many dealers seemed to no nothing about the S at all).

Anyway - you lot want some hard facts about the cars, not my profligacy. So here it is. Just don't ask where I got this from, right? Someone might get into trouble.

Dealers will send their advance orders in to BMW at the end of Feb. In early March BMW will work out each dealership's allocation of cars - from that, your dealership will be able to give you a reasonable estimate of *your* delivery date. Customers will also have to specify their cars in March.

April through to May sees them slowly building up S production at the factory - although the big month is either July or August (I tried to peek but only got a glance) when 33% of cars produced will be Cooper S models. After that bumper month, production falls back to around 15% - the plan being 3,000 cars per year for the UK.

Dealerships receive two cars in May - one for the showroom, one for the test drives (book 'em early!). They come in two standard specifications - an electric blue car on 16" wheels with manual aircon and a few toys, and a dark silver one on 17" rubber with absolutely every option - climate control, leather, sat-nav, DSC, multi-function steering wheel etc etc. The dealers are *not* allowed to sel these cars no matter how much we beg or whine (and we can't afford the dark silver one anyway)!

The customer cars will be available from June onwards. The plan is to have 500 S models on the road and in customer hands in the first month, with dealerships getting 2 or 3 of these first cars based on the size of their order books and allocations.

Then the bad news. Those first customer cars will *only* be available in EB or DS, and only customiseable to a very limited degree - you will probably be able to specify aircon, satnav, leather and a few other options, but most options will *not* be available. So the best place to be on the waiting list is top ten, but not top three, if you want to be able to choose your own extras.

Standard on all cars *will* be a radio (despite my concerns to the contrary), but it's the bottom of the range WAVE. Sports seats (probably cloth, just may be 1/2 leather), SSP+, and a factory-fitted category 1 Thatcham alarm are included as standard. Aircon, foglamps and DSC will *not* be standard equipment.

And two new colours will be announced for all models of the MINI, available from around May (and therefore yet another choice for the customer-specified S after the initial launch). OK, so most of you know that already. The colours are metallic red and "pepper white" - a sort of off-white according to the dealer. My guess is something akin to Old English White from the BMC paint catalogue of the 60s, and the colour of the very first Mini off the production line.

Bugger. Just when I think I'm getting somewhere on the colour choice, I have Old English White with a black roof dangled in front of me! And I can't see any of my preferred options until *after* I've signed the order - aarrrggghhhh! ANyone got any better ideas than me as to exactly how Pepper White will look - with or without a black roof?

G

·
Did your source mention if option packs like chilli will be available in "S" form and what they may consist of?

Thanks

M.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'Fraid not. Too soon for option packs, or even pricing on the options we know about. We've guessed that the prices for various options will be the same as they are on the ONE/Cooper, but there's no confirmation of this yet.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Viscount Charles said:
Dealers will send their advance orders in to BMW at the end of Feb. In early March BMW will work out each dealership's allocation of cars - from that, your dealership will be able to give you a reasonable estimate of *your* delivery date. Customers will also have to specify their cars in March.

April through to May sees them slowly building up S production at the factory - although the big month is either July or August (I tried to peek but only got a glance) when 33% of cars produced will be Cooper S models. After that bumper month, production falls back to around 15% - the plan being 3,000 cars per year for the UK.

Dealerships receive two cars in May - one for the showroom, one for the test drives (book 'em early!). They come in two standard specifications - an electric blue car on 16" wheels with manual aircon and a few toys, and a dark silver one on 17" rubber with absolutely every option - climate control, leather, sat-nav, DSC, multi-function steering wheel etc etc. The dealers are *not* allowed to sel these cars no matter how much we beg or whine (and we can't afford the dark silver one anyway)!

The customer cars will be available from June onwards. The plan is to have 500 S models on the road and in customer hands in the first month, with dealerships getting 2 or 3 of these first cars based on the size of their order books and allocations.

Then the bad news. Those first customer cars will *only* be available in EB or DS, and only customiseable to a very limited degree - you will probably be able to specify aircon, satnav, leather and a few other options, but most options will *not* be available. So the best place to be on the waiting list is top ten, but not top three, if you want to be able to choose your own extras.

Standard on all cars *will* be a radio (despite my concerns to the contrary), but it's the bottom of the range WAVE. Sports seats (probably cloth, just may be 1/2 leather), SSP+, and a factory-fitted category 1 Thatcham alarm are included as standard. Aircon, foglamps and DSC will *not* be standard equipment.

And two new colours will be announced for all models of the MINI, available from around May (and therefore yet another choice for the customer-specified S after the initial launch). OK, so most of you know that already. The colours are metallic red and "pepper white" - a sort of off-white according to the dealer. My guess is something akin to Old English White from the BMC paint catalogue of the 60s, and the colour of the very first Mini off the production line.
Great information VC:) though obviously some concerns in there too:(

I am going to see if my dealer in Sydney can provide latest on Aus situation for comparison

I'm a bit worried about the pre-spec issue as I am #2 on S list...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Im going to be well [email protected]*&%$£d off if (being Number 3) i cant choose what i want on MY car!! i dont mind waiting till August for My 'S' but being told i can only have certain options...although good for the wallet its not good for me smile :D :mad: :D :confused:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course, you could ask to be moved back to number 4 - that way, you should get a car in July in the colour and with the options that you want!

Seems like an interesting marketing decision on the part of BMW. Many S owners will be happy with EB or DS, the options available will be the "standard" ones that Joe Public wants (aircon, leather), and BMW have a fleet of 500 "advertising vehicles" driving around in pretty much the same trim as the cars in their showroom! There may be production advantages in limiting the choices as the S swings into production, although BMW's KISS system ought to be able to handle a car to any specification that the customer can dream up. I'm now thinking about candy blue with white trim - it may not be on the list yet, but that won't stop me trying to order one ....

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Re: Re: UK Delivery Time and Specifications

rich said:

Great information VC:) though obviously some concerns in there too:(

I am going to see if my dealer in Sydney can provide latest on Aus situation for comparison

I'm a bit worried about the pre-spec issue as I am #2 on S list...
...Checked again with dealer, who restated that his understanding was that all Aus customer cars will be built to order & not pre-specced. All Aus Coopers in 1st (Feb) batch are BTO too

Dealer Demo S's will, however, be regulation DS & EB

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: standard spec for 1st deliveries

Porsche do this for new models. The first runs are usually in two or three standard specs and that is all that is available. When the 996 was introduced there were three versions, lets call them poverty, medium and full. Each dealer was allocated a set number of each version.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts