MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been looking at the Ultra Projector Headlights on your website after spotting them in Modern MINI magazine :)

I take it that the non-xenon ones use normal type bulbs. Are they perfectly road legal? I have a 54 plate MCS with standard headlights. Will these Ultra headlights provide better lighting or would I have to combine them with something like the "Ultra Brighter Headlight Bulbs" to see a significant improvement?

Going by previous posts on retrofitting xenons, I guess that the xenon versions of these Ultra headlights are non road legal without auto-leveling and such?

If so, do you offer any services to make them road legal?

Cheers!

Chiu :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hi Chiu,

The Ultra Headlights do use the normal H7 bulb as found in non-xenon headlights as standard. They are road legal. If your after an improvement in lighting from you hedlights you can either go two routes. One is to change to a set of Ultra Brighter Headlight bulbs, the other is upgrade to the Ultra HID kit either at the same time as fitting the headlights or in the future. The latter upgrade is an additional £170 inc.vat and vastly improves the performance of your headlights. I've spoken to Ultra regarding this and they tell me the upgrade is road legal.

Hope this helps!

Nick
Lohen

·
Registered
238 Posts
Theres an illuminating (sic) article on the DfT website that explains how fitting HID conversions into Halogen headlamp units is generally illegal:
Department for Transport - Aftermarket HID (Xenon) headlamps

However it does go on to discuss replacement light units and suggests these can be permitted *if* they have 'ECE type approval' of lens reflector and bulb.

The decisive factor is the proviso that any fitment is self cleansing and self leveling:
Department for Transport website said:
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
So whilst this particular unit can be fitted with the Mini's headlamp cleaning system, they don't contain any provision for a self levelling facility and therefore cannot be legal in the UK when equipped with HID bulbs.

I'd recommend not wasting your money on these, you could well fail your MOT and the police are cracking down on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

The responses regarding the legality of retrofitting xenons (not just this post but other ones in the "Gen 1 Exterior" forum) put me off going down the retrofit xenon path for now.

I'll probably go for the standard H7 type + brighter bulbs to keep them undoubtedly road legal and have the benefit of better lighting. Arguably I could just change the bulbs my my current headlights but I like the look of these Ultra ones (that is assuming the H7 type ones look like the ones shown in the pics).

Cheers!

Chiu :)

·
:: 32mpg woo! ::
1,023 Posts
Hey everyone,

I don't suppose anyone could help me with a query about the Ultra Projector Headlights..

At the moment I've got Xenons on my MCS but really would like the 'blacked out headlight look'. I don't mind a down grade in brightness as I don't really drive at night.. the main reason for buying them would be for shows and things.

Basically, would the standard Ultra Projector Headlights be a straight replacement for my Xenons? Or will my wiring be different?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey everyone,

I don't suppose anyone could help me with a query about the Ultra Projector Headlights..

At the moment I've got Xenons on my MCS but really would like the 'blacked out headlight look'. I don't mind a down grade in brightness as I don't really drive at night.. the main reason for buying them would be for shows and things.

Basically, would the standard Ultra Projector Headlights be a straight replacement for my Xenons? Or will my wiring be different?

Many thanks.

Sounds like what you want serby is a Joey mod, basically you keep you lights open them up (in an oven or using a heat gun to melt the seels) then you paint the inside of them, a few have done it on here but there are loads on NAM that have and it looks really really well with xenons. Have a look over on NAM. Its a lot cheeper too ;)

Rochie

·
1,023 Posts
Sounds like what you want serby is a Joey mod, basically you keep you lights open them up (in an oven or using a heat gun to melt the seels) then you paint the inside of them, a few have done it on here but there are loads on NAM that have and it looks really really well with xenons. Have a look over on NAM. Its a lot cheeper too ;)

Rochie
Cheers Rochie will check that out :) I don't know whether I'm brave enough to do that though by the sounds of it lol

Woop! I've just downloaded some Joey mod instructions now off NAM that I've not seen before, so will give them a read. I'm still quite tempted by the potential simplicity of just bolting in the Ultra lights though:eek: We'll see..

·
Registered
238 Posts
He's the black ultra projectors on mine, with a vinyl wrap on the chrome surrounds. Easier than a joey mod and a similar look.

·
1,023 Posts
He's the black ultra projectors on mine, with a vinyl wrap on the chrome surrounds. Easier than a joey mod and a similar look.
Damn, that looks sooo good, very similar to my car infact:cool:

Aye, I think the ease of just fitting those lights is appealing more atm. Also, I could then save my original lights should I ever need to put the car back to standard:D

Thanks for the pic:D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Damn, that looks sooo good, very similar to my car infact:cool:

Aye, I think the ease of just fitting those lights is appealing more atm. Also, I could then save my original lights should I ever need to put the car back to standard:D
It is worth keeping in the back of your mind the potential resale value of cars, and how your mods will affect it. After all, to chop it in at a dealership would mean they'd be less inclined to pay you for those mods, in which case retaining your standard parts is always a savvy move.

Emma

1 - 14 of 14 Posts