MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went to have the rear wheels balanced because of vibration at moderate speeds only to be informed by the mechanic that he can't balance them because they have uneven wear around the inside edge.
Now I know that uneven wear across the tyre can be an alignment issue but what about around the tyre.
The tyres are fairly new so have spoken to Toyo (proxes T1-S) and they have said to get them back to them and they will take a look.
Just wonding what the collective thoughts are.

·
Back In A Clubman 23yr On
194 Posts
Sorry to be an ar$e, but to consider this fully can you define/describe the uneven wear a little better?
Are you saying that the inner 25% (example) of the tyre width consists of some areas where there is virtually no tread left, and yet some areas where there is good tread depth still present??

If this is what you are describing/asking.......then this uneven pattern of wear is indicative of two main causes, and is only ever found on trailing rear axles (as per your MINI set up);
1) incorrect rear suspension geometry
2) faults/wear within the suspension components

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that the tyres themselves were defective, I'm sorry to say.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say its not quite as bad as that.

The first 25-30mm of the inside edge I would say and the difference between the high and lows is around 3-4mm in height difference of the tread blocks

It just seems odd that every other block of tread is worn more than the other either side of it.

·
194 Posts
I would say its not quite as bad as that.

The first 25-30mm of the inside edge I would say and the difference between the high and lows is around 3-4mm in height difference of the tread blocks

It just seems odd that every other block of tread is worn more than the other either side of it.
A photo would really help :confused:

Failing that, the diagnosis given is the most accurate to the uneven levels of wear that you describe.

The tread block construction is would not differ from one set of blocks to another......so, there is not really any reason for some blocks to wear quicker than others......except for the probable defects to the relevant suspension components/geometry as listed.

I hope that Toyo take a different view (good luck ;)), but the manufacturers who sponsor the technical courses that I have attended, I know, would take a fairly robust stance on this type of wear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest I dont hold out much hope from Toyo other than to help with what has caused the uneven wear.

Here's a quick pic taken with camera phone. The right hand side is the worn side and as you can see the smaller blocks are worn more as the small groove is missing from each of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As it seems this is caused by either a geometry issue or other suspension relate probs not sure where to go from here.

What if anything can be adjusted on the rear end of a Mini?

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
check the tyre pressure. may seem abit simple but i was getting uneven tyre wear and it was because my ture was not inflated enough.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As it seems this is caused by either a geometry issue or other suspension relate probs not sure where to go from here.

What if anything can be adjusted on the rear end of a Mini?
rear toe and camber are both adjustable on the R56 and either or both could be the culprit.

Toe out (negative toe) would cause the inner edges to wear out pretty fast and also make the car pretty jittery on the highway. Normally the rear wheels are toed in a tad.
Too much camber will also cause the inside edge to wear out faster than the outside, though not as fast as poorly adjusted toe. How many km do you have on those tires?

·
194 Posts
check the tyre pressure. may seem abit simple but i was getting uneven tyre wear and it was because my ture was not inflated enough.
Good general advice........but.....this wear is not indicative of running the tyres underinflated.

You don't mention the mileage/age of your car, obz210, so it is hard to guess wether or not it is likely to be "wear", "alignment", or a combination of both i.e. "wear causing alignment issues".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts