MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests really - I visited the London Motor Show yesterday at the Excel centre in Londons Docklands, however was unimpressed by the range of MINIs on display :(

The MINI stand itself was as excellent as usual - astroturf and fun additions such as 'keep off the grass' signs, and the owners lounge we wonderful - another triumph of the MINI marketing department! :D

My beef however lies with whoever decides the specification of the show cars :confused:

The London Motor show saw the launch of the new MINI John Cooper Works - so what car did they have there promoting its debut? A standard John Cooper Works hatchback painted in Chili red. No Contrast roof, no options whatsover. It even had standard all cloth sports seats. The look was completed by a wonky works badge on the tailgate.

Parked out the rear of the stand was a normal Astro Black (isn't that being discontinued soon?) Cooper S which was laden with accessories! A racing stripe, chrome s-spokes, chequer side vents and more! Inside there was full black punch leather - but then, horror of all horrors...... a standard two spoke steering wheel! :eek:

Another car on the stand was an all Mellow Yellow ONE. They had succesfully broken up the yellow by adding a pair of black viper stripes - good job! But they had decided to leave the standard MINI ONE exhaust on show - why on earth did they not put a trim on it?

I could go on, but I'm going to leave it there. To me though, a motorshow is all about manufacturers showing off what they can achieve. Hence the wide range of concept cars and new metal on display!

If only MINI had spent a few moments actually putting some thoughts into the specification of their show cars, it would have made such a huge difference to the overall result.

Come on MINI - buck your ideas up ;)

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
Do you know this is the second thread this morning, on different forums, that say a very similar thing. Is it a case of MINI have had it too good too long with cars that "sell themselves". Have seen a picture of the JCW they have on the stand and it is dull, dull, dull. There is competition there for MINI this year with the 500 still attracting attention, and the Mito on display. Sounds like a must try harder.

Sounds like the same team specced the show cars as specced the original R56 launch cars. Have never seen such odd spec choices as those chosen for launch.

Come on John, who really caught your eye there then? And I mean car manufacturers ;)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loads of manufacturers there really put some effort into their stands!

Most impressed actually with Vauxhall - the new Insignia really is a lovely car, and from inside beats the Mondeo hands down. Nice line up too of the Astra Nurburgring edition, V8 VXR thingy, and VXR Corsa, all painted white - looked the mutts nuts ;)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I find it a real **** take that BMW , Audi, VW, Skoda, Porsche, Mitsubishi all decide to poo poo the BNritish motorshow. However they go to the car hating capital of the world Geneva.

A real poor show. Those manufacturers should hang their heads in shame. The Uk buys more hot models than anywhere else in Europe, yet they can't even be bothered to have a stand. If it did'nt make me look like a sad tosspot then i would be tempted to write an e-mail to the marketing deps of each firm and let them know

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think we should all hijack the show with our nice MINIs and really show people :D

I'm going on Saturday.

BMW showed at Goodwood a couple of weeks ago and let me in to hospitality but had no MINIs at all there. I was disappointed as that would have been a better place to show off the new JCW for the first time.

·
Registered
593 Posts
As the title suggests really - I visited the London Motor Show yesterday at the Excel centre in Londons Docklands, however was unimpressed by the range of MINIs on display :(

If only MINI had spent a few moments actually putting some thoughts into the specification of their show cars, it would have made such a huge difference to the overall result.

Come on MINI - buck your ideas up ;)
Excellent post. It is not just me that notices tardiness then!

·
Clubman 'S' Power
343 Posts
I off to the motor show next week and was looking forward to what they have put in the JCW. I was hoping for loads of JCW extras but guest not. A bit disappointed it and I have been yet

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No extras on it at all - there was a wall board hidden out the back of the stand (seriously hidden in a corner) with the JCW bits on it - steering wheel, gear knob etc - but there we no cars with the bits on!

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
:(

Thanks Jon, you've saved me having to make a wasted trip, as I'd want to see a full Works car, you know with every bit of carbon you can get, the seats, all the things you can't see in the Dealership because they don't over spec the demonstrators.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly - but that's the whole point of a motorshow. It gives the manufacturer a chance to show off and demonstrate what they can achieve!

Unfortunately MINI just don't seem to care :confused:

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I was disappointed with them to :(

Was really expecting to see a JCW car the same as in the advertising, not a bog standard one!!!! Didnt really get a proper answer when I asked 2 people why it was so standard, just got a 'well we wanted to just show people what the car is about' :puzzled:

The nicest MINI there was the White Silver Sidewalk!

·
Cyber Police
9,618 Posts
best thing i was told was. There are no engine bay badges on the JCW car as from research we have done shows people don't look at there engine bay meaning we dint have to put on badges, yet they still put a mini logo on them, and cars such as M's have BMW badges and M badges. As well as people buying the car know what it is so dont worry about the badge:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Well thats pretty stupid! Showing a car that you can't order anymore, BMW!

I've just had a call from Park Lane to see if I wanted to come and see the new JCW but he called it a MINI Cooper S Works. I corrected him "MINI JCW" and told him its a touch to far to come.

Jon you've saved me a trip to the show aswell then as I wanted to see it but will probably just pop down to the showroom in a couple of months and see it for myself. farnborough do quite well with specced up show cars.

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
Just got back from my 2nd day there, and its not got any better over-night :(:p Very un-impressed - Spent most of my time on the Ford stand which was fantastic :D

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
best thing i was told was. There are no engine bay badges on the JCW car as from research we have done shows people don't look at there engine bay meaning we dint have to put on badges, yet they still put a mini logo on them, and cars such as M's have BMW badges and M badges. As well as people buying the car know what it is so dont worry about the badge:rolleyes:
That's ridiculous.....

·
Cyber Police
9,618 Posts
That's ridiculous.....
I know i told him every one i knew would want it. He said the last cars with 3 badges was over the top. He was head of some thing at Bracknel, His name was Lee duno his 2nd name

To mean seams like cost cutting

1 - 20 of 100 Posts