MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would post this since I couldn't find any information on it, and I just had to figure it out on my own. Was really surprised when I found that the universal garage door opener on the Mini..at least on my Cooper S...wasn't a standard option. As this has become something I have come a custom to on other vehicles I have owned. When I purchased the car I asked my dealer if I could add it after the fact, in which they told me I could. For those that may not know, the universal garage door opener is built into the rear view mirror, therefore you have to replace the whole mirror to get this functionality. I was able to purchase the new mirror for approx. $650 USD. They quoted me $150 for installation, but figured I would give it a shot on my own before giving them more money. I am definitely glad I did. To install all you have to do is pull apart the plastic trim cover the mirror arm where it attaches to the windshield. Then unplug the existing mirror, and slide the mirror down. Take your new mirror, slide it on to the mount and plug the mirror back in. Then put the cover back on the mirror arm. After that start your car and the mirror has a compass that will display a C. Drive your car in a circle slow about 3 times until it starts showing on the ordinal directions as you are turning and you are all done.

Glad I didn't pay $150 for the 5 minutes it took me to install it. :)

I should note my Cooper S already had a automatic dimming mirror. Not sure if the cabling is there if you have a manual dimming mirror.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts