MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I have recently purchased a 51 plate mini cooper and whilst working on it I spotted a couple of issues. Firstly is a what seems to be a sensor hanging down, could any one tell me what it is and where it goes.

Secondly it seems that a set of bearings has come out of the top of the steering rack. Is it possible just to re[place the bearings or is it a new steering rack required?

I have attached photos
Any help much appreciated

Many thanks

Jamie

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
connector is for a/c compressor and nothing wrong with the rack, that's the outboard side of the steering column grommet/seal that's come adrift, a pig to refit, check the inboard one it may be the same, someone has had the front subframe off and forgotten to disconnect the steering column and yanked the cover off.

Reactions: JustJam

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Sorry it's the the bit just under that.
The small round rubber piece just below the gromett had lifted and I could see only about 2 small bearings inside. I assume the rest have popped out.
Yeah I tried putting outboard grommet back on, I gave up. The inner one managed to get back on ok.
Thanks for the help, I have no AC so will just find somewhere to cable tie the connector

·
Registered
722 Posts
new rack then I guess unless a remanufacturing company can send you the bearing you need, probably easier and maybe cheaper to just fit another good used one?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts