MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo everybody

i think i've found a new fault on my cooper:- when i'm inside the car i've noticed that the wind/road noise from the outside is unusually loud, it didn't use to be like this i think something on the doors or windows have become loose- its just getting louder and louder, it almost sounds like i've got the windows open?!?!

has anybody else noticed this? especially in the wet

sorry if u think im a whiner but i'm getting ready for a rejection :rolleyes:

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
The road noise inside my car is also quite load. I just put it down to the sports suspension and 17" Wheels. In the wet I can hear every puddle I drive through with amazing clarity. It is as if driving I am driving with the window down. As it is only on the drives door, I can only assume that it is some sort of fault, maybe with the sealing?

LMB:rolleyes:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh i have to admit that theres something wrong here, even my old corsa was quieter- last night when it was raining i tested it in a 30mph zone, and it sounded like i've got the windows down by an inch :( , and then i've just noticed that the doors are rattling as well, argh my cars falling apart!

·
Registered
888 Posts
A few times (in 5000 miles) I've had to lower and then raise one or other window to make it sit in the door seal correctly.

It doesn't bother me and usually completely fixes the wind noise and makes it as quiet or quieter than most other cars - I travel extensively on the motorway and can vouch for this!

The only funny thing is when the wipers are on and you're at speed - they make a sort of whoosh-whoosh sound but its fun and one of the things that makes the car interesting.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wiper Whoosh

lightbody said:
The only funny thing is when the wipers are on and you're at speed - they make a sort of whoosh-whoosh sound...
I'd noticed that too - easy to notice as it's rained almost every day since I got my MINI.

Presumably due to the upright screen angle. The wiper with the little wing is the worst culprit when you get over about 85mph (where laws permit etc.)

I guess the upright angle is also the reason that I've already got 2 quite large stone chips in the screen.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: Wiper Whoosh

ricardo said:
I'd noticed that too - easy to notice as it's rained almost every day since I got my MINI.

Presumably due to the upright screen angle. The wiper with the little wing is the worst culprit when you get over about 85mph (where laws permit etc.)
Phew, I thought it was just my car:)

It is me or do you tend to search for faults once you have found a few. I have been treating my car with cotton gloves incase I break anything. I am driving myself and my family mad :p

I can't wait to get them all fixed so I can just enjoy the car.

LMB;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don't regard the "whooshing" wiper noise as a fault - just a consequence of the car's design. And it's not really intrusive - just noticeable 'cos the car's basically quiet in other respects.

The only definite "fault" with my car is a mismatched sill plate - "Cooper" on one side and "One" on the other.

Like many others have mentioned, the arc of the rear wiper doesn't sweep to the top of the glass but this is pretty inconsequential and I'm sure it can be sorted at first service.

I just love this car - tempted by the "S" now but that blows away the cheap second car concept which drew me to the MINI One.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wind noise

We hhave had exactly the same problem. Ours was caused by the windscreen trim popping out at the top of the screen. The solution was new trim (thicker one) which required a new screen to be fitted.:)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Loud road noise through door!

My MC developed this problem about a month ago - mentioned it to the dealer when it went in for the roof trim/boot ltach repair and they said that they "padded" out the door seal.

After i got it back for about a week it was ok although the door seemed to need a real slam to shut properly and the door edge at the handle end sits proud of the rest of the body work by about 5mm (making it look like its been a crash repaired (oh no! i just remembered the thread about the guy who's mini was trashed by the dealers service dept!) thus creating more wind noise at the door - now the original noise well and truly back too!! AARRGGHH!

Also now winter is well and truly here the noise through puddles, over white lines etc is so loud and clear it takes some serious stereo volume to hide it.

Don't know about anyone else but the noise seems most obvious at the point where the window ends/door starts at the seal edge.

Ideas anyone?

·
4,984 Posts
lightbody said:
A few times (in 5000 miles) I've had to lower and then raise one or other window to make it sit in the door seal correctly.
It doesn't bother me and usually completely fixes the wind noise and makes it as quiet or quieter than most other cars - I travel extensively on the motorway and can vouch for this!
I've had the same experience a couple of times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts