MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys n' gals,

Just thought I should share the possibility of updating the software of your MINI built-in sat nav. The newest software (available on h**p://@@@.x5world.com/navigation-system/44556-v31-has-been-released-now-available.html (change asterisks to Ts and @ to Ws!) allows you to enable perspective mode (which is similar to the new BMWs mode) and must have better/improved functions and bug fixes etc! I suggest you read the forum carefully to make sure you get the right version for your car (there are mark 3 and mark 4 computers around; mark 4 is on the later cars). For me it was very easy. Once you have updated your MINI (if you have mark 4 computer), in order to enable perspective mode you have to get into 'set' and then quickly hold down the menu button for about 10 seconds. This takes you to a 'hidden' menu. You then need to scroll down to the next screen, click on perspective and click on it so it changes to on. Then go to navigation, enter a destination, and go into map direction and change that to 'perspective' and voila!

If you have problems/questions please sign up to the X5 World forum and post them there as I don't know that much about the updates!

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Actually there are a lot of posts on this but thanks for the reminder. ;) The MK3 and MK4 both use the same update CD but the MK3 is no longer being updated with firmware (stopped at V26 I think). The V31 software has been running fine on mine and is very stable. Perspective mode has been out for about 2 years now. Questions can be posted here as I have a solid understanding of the unit.

Also, in a few weeks or so I will be hosting the updates on my site. ;)

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Sorry, I didn't really look through the whole topic (probably should have!)
No worries, it is always refreshing to see this topic come up again. :)

I wonder if or when there will be a V32? I think we may be getting close to the end of the life cycle for the MK4. The new MINI uses a different system.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2nd gen uses a different system?? I know that V32 has no changes for Mark 4, so there wouldn't be any point for Mark 4 users to upgrade, I think it's only for iDrive 3 (or something of the like) that got upgraded in V32

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I have yet to hear of the V32 release to be honest. V31 unlocked the DVD to read dual layer disks on the MK4. This is needed if you are ordering the latest disk from BMW/NAVTEQ

On the new MINI yes, they are using the professional system that BMW has rather than the high system used on the 02-06 MINI.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
What system do you have? If you don't know, go to the NAV screen and go to setup. In the upper left you will see some numbers. Tell me exactly what there are and I can tell you what version firmware you have as well as the version of nav computer.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
No I know that, but am I able to update it in the same sort of way, or do I just have to but a new disk?

I'm not sure than anyone has really cracked that system yet. The only people that can update that system is the dealer as of now. I'll try to see what I can dig up. Give me a few days. ;)

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Are you able to copy the discs? Ian seems convinced that he can make a copy of mine so we can use the 'updated' version on the Italian Job...im just worried it would mess something up :eek:

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Are you talking about the new version used in the old? If that is the case, no, he cannot use your disk. The computers are totally different and the language used is different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Thanks to all for the info here. I successfully updated the nav software last night. I found the hidden menu and turned perspective mode on but I can't see any difference and still get a birds eye view of the map.
Am I missing something?

We also bought the car used and don't seem to have any guide for the Nav system. Is there one online perhaps? I did search but didn't come up with anything.

Thx for any help.

PS.
I made a backup copy of our Europe High DVD disc, tested working and so it is possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ahh, I found out why. Didn't do the last step here.

To do this, enter the settings menu (press menu then click on set). Once inside this menu, hold down the menu button for about 8 seconds or until you notice the screen change to service mode. Scroll down to perspective mode and enable it. Now exit service mode by pressing menu, then select GPS navigation. Press the knob in, scroll to pointer direction and select perspective.

Still hoping on some kind of user guide though if anyone knows of one. Mk4 system on a 53MCS.

Thx

·
mini power
9 Posts
Hi all,

My sat nav hasn't worked for ages, the map starts up for a few seconds and it just crashes and spits the cd out so i guess it needs updating and iv'e finally got round to wanting to fix it :)

I have a cd sat nav system on a 2002 mini cooper....

i think its the origial cd... SW 3-1/63

can i create a cd to fix this?

Thanx,

dan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts