MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i recently upgraded my 15 inch alloys for 17 inch s spokes i put them on they look brill :D however i dont know if its just me but the steering feels different!! do i need to get the tracking doing? or the wheels balancing?

Thankyou

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
The wheels may need balancing, any tyre fitter will be able to do this for you.

The steering will feel different, as you now have wider tyres, so there's more rubber in contact with the road.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I found this too when I fitted my 17" from my 15" like Scrogg says you've got more rubber in contact with the road so it will tramline a bit more. Picks up on the shape of the road more and will feel a little more twitchy. I only found it on rough parts of the road and you will get used to it.

I always track my car professionally when I get any wheel mod (change tyres included) done. Its very important for the wear of your tyres too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks for getting back to me its funny but like you say i only feel it in the same places on the same roads!! any idea of roughly how much it is to get the tracking and balancing done?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
DON'T GO TO BMW! They do 4 wheel laser tracking and they cost a fortune about £150 no joke. Go to a good tyre place. Sometimes Kwikfit say they can't do MINIs but some do. I go to Protyre who are really good but I'm down South. Don't know where you are.

Your wheels should have been balanced when your tyres were put on so I wouldn't worry about that but tracking costs me about £25-£30 shouldn't be more than that even with the 4 wheel laser tracking that protyre do. BMW have some cheek!

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
If you switched from the standard 15" wheels with standard tyres to 17" with runflats (and even to a lesser extend, with regular tyres), you will (should) feel quite a big difference.

One reason, as already stated, you have more rubber in contact with the road, you'll tramline more.

You have thinner, and harder sidewalls, you'll probably get more bouncing and "harshness" through the wheels.

They're much heavier, per wheel, that four heavy bits of unsprung weight, and that's going to affect your handling quite a bit. You'll also be slower to start, and slower to stop.

On a smooth, flat surface, you should get more grip (but less "progressive" feel) and they're better suited for high speed cruising, such as motorways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts