MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2003 mini cooper S r53 for about 6 months now and it came with Powerflow Backboxes, GTT CAI.
After 2 months of owning it I've done a remap on it which makes a noticeable difference.
Then 4 months later after discovering that my supercharger was on its way out, I took the chance and swapped it for the Teflon coated version, changed the supercharger oil and put a 15% reduced Pulley on it.
And wow! did I have a big grin on my face as the cars performance had totally been transformed.

Does anyone know approximately how many bhp it'll be currently running at?

Further mod. info.
I've upgraded to a set of Moroso wires while maintaining stock ignition coil pack.
I've degreased and cleaned the OEM Intercooler which copes extremely well with the 15% pulley and now recovery temperature comes down much quicker.
1 temperature level down NGK IX Iridium plugs.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I've had my 2003 mini cooper S r53 for about 6 months now and it came with Powerflow Backboxes, GTT CAI.
After 2 months of owning it I've done a remap on it which makes a noticeable difference.
Then 4 months later after discovering that my supercharger was on its way out, I took the chance and swapped it for the Teflon coated version, changed the supercharger oil and put a 15% reduced Pulley on it.
And wow! did I have a big grin on my face as the cars performance had totally been transformed.

Does anyone know approximately how many bhp it'll be currently running at?

Further mod. info.
I've upgraded to a set of Moroso wires while maintaining stock ignition coil pack.
I've degreased and cleaned the OEM Intercooler which copes extremely well with the 15% pulley and now recovery temperature comes down much quicker.
1 temperature level down NGK IX Iridium plugs.

Thanks in advance
can i make a suggestion based on a couple i have seen do same replace the radiator with a either new one or a higher rated twin or triple core one, as the radiators at that age suffer a lot and its not untill more load and heat is added do they start to destroy your head gasket with extremes or heat build up under the higher loads,, yes small pulley ups the pressure by ramming more oxy in the cylinders and the ecu will to a point add more fuel but a remap is best option to get it balances and get the mixtures run in the safe zone where things dont get melted, but first off radiator thermostat and temp sensor would be a must right from the off to protect it

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Mike, I'll certainly bear those suggestions in mind.

I've had a new standard radiator plumbed in just after i bought the car as it was leaking, but will a higher rated one still fit with the air-condition radiator attached?

The remap I did was before the teflon supercharger and 15% pulley mod. I have a HUD which has a handy engine temperature gauge which I use alot to keep an eye on things.
Before the above mods, my cars engine temperature rises very slow, like below but in slow motion.
Since the above mods, the temperature rises much quicker and during traffic queues can reach 110 degrees celsius but comes down gradually once the car is moving again to a regular 75 degrees celsius before too long.
Since i degreased and cleaned the OEM supercharger intercooler the above post mod temperatures recover much quickly and performs more efficiently. I definitely recommend this to anyone who hasn't yet had their intercooler cleaned yet.

Overall, I believe that the OEM intercooler can easily cope with the 15% supercharger pulley mod.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Jeff, that is really good to know.
Mike thanks for the rad advice.
I've done CAI and exhaust and will do the 15%.

I'm getting a cleaned and properly blown through intercooler fitted shortly.....with no bent fins as the one on mine deeply offends me! Filthy and bent.

Jeff, to your original posted question, I found a facinating thread on MiniTorque. Guy took his facelift R53 to 1320 Mini, put it on their rolling road and then played around with combinations of:
Standard air filter, Orranje Stealth CAI
Standard pulley, 15% pulley
Not sure what exhaust was on it
Standard intercooler

With the pully and CAI they got 188.6 bhp.
The CAI made a big difference when the pulley was on.
1320 MINI testing - Orranje CAI and 15% pulley, facelift R53

If you bother to plough through the whole long thread there are numbers of reply posts exhibiting some up their own a**ses, biased, ill-informed, masters of the half grasped concept, typical b*****ks MT opinions. Some are great and informative though.

If you've not been on it, it has no censorship at all so folk can be as rude and abusive as they wish. And they are. So be careful what you post, if you post! I have to admit I've learned a LOT on MT about modding for performance and handling - there are a lot of heavy track day used Minis on there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@nobbyclark heres the brand and some further useful information should you buy one.

I have the kk moon Car HUD 5.5" and i find the engine temperature gauge and the econometer gauge most useful.
When not giving my car a good ole wellying, I will drive as economical as possible by trying to keep the econometer figure as low as possible to gain best mpg. Very useful feature.

If you don't require certain parts of the HUD info, just put some black insulation tape over the bits of display that you don't need to see.
And if the display is too bright I find placing a piece of light tinted film over the unit helps.

Its very cheap and I use it to monitor on the engine temperature after giving it some wellying and it does psychologically help to tone down ones wellying as you see the temperature rise and fall.
And when you see the engine temperature rise to say 114 degrees celsius during prolonged traffic jams, I find that turning the heater on full blast (downwards and with windows open to expel hot air) helps to reduce the engine temperature
by ridding some heat by way of diversion.

Without the HUD, I wouldn't know whats going on heat wise in the engine bay since my 15% pulley mod but maintaining my standard Intercooler.
Having the HUD has actually reduced my amount of wellying as I now take more care about the welfare of my beloved cooper s thus prolonging the life of my car.

·
0.1mpg (Miles per Grin)
276 Posts
Thanks for that; will take a look. Sounds like we have similar driving styles: I'm usually an old man and try and eke out as many miles as possible from the tank (record: 350 miles; anti-record: less than 200). But sometimes I enjoy myself and use 3rd a lot.

I changed my S/C last year as the old one was getting noisy after 14 years and now have a teflon one. I also got a Newman cam at the same time, which has turned a quick car into a very quick one. Still haven't had a remap, despite all the mods, but it's on the 'to do' list.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks too for sharing information. I currently fill up with Momentum 99 and 30 quid always get me approximately 165 miles range with 18 miles left on the mini's display which realistically is about 10 miles. I drive light footed on the accelerator pedal when I can, thinking ahead, don't brake round bends, coasting and all sorts of tricks to maximise my fuel apart from the times when I'm having fun. hehehe

When my cooper S only had the powerflow back boxes and GTT CAI my above 165 miles range was probably 10% higher before the remapping zapped my economy. The remap did give the car a tad more torque and a noticeable pull without even going anywhere near redline. But the remapping didn't really leave me with a bigger grin as I had envisioned pre remap but my happiness increased as a few standard (163) cooper S's couldn't keep up in any gear. Now, that surprised me since after the remapping as I had a quick roadside chat with my fellow Cooper S local fanatics. I hadn't even done much at this stage.

But when my super charger started going faulty after 14 years like yours, I seized the chance to source a teflon supercharger and had the supercharger oil changed and a 15% pulley fitted before it was plumbed in. I kept the OEM Intercooler and it has since performed well and can fully cope.
The performance gains from the Teflon supercharger and 15% pulley was much much more than I had imagined, as it totally changed the characteristics of my cooper S. The pre tired car engine noise had GONE! and my monthly litre of engine oil top up has strangely stopped when i check the dipstick? Can a faulty supercharger burn engine oil? (I drive approx. 1300 miles each month)

The remap didn't even feel like half of what I got out of the teflon and pulley mod.

Since then, I took out the OEM Intercooler and degreased it, cleaned it and after hanging in on the washing line I finished off by drying it off with a hair dryer. My goodness did the OEM boots which has a groove in it did a great job of trapping rogue engine oil.
After installing it, the car breathed much more better and felt calmer.

I have the Janspeed Manifold and sports cat on my Christmas wish list but the Newman cams is probably too much work for my local one man garage dude.

Making progress down the motorway slip road with foot firmly planted in 3rd, 4th then 5th is now so much more satisfying and my cooper S pulls effortlessly and doesn't feel the slight out of puff.

Thanks for reading my long winded experiences. I got this way as I'm getting older. hahaha

·
Registered
53 Posts
So now what? Can I make a suggestion?

Remove the BPV and Throttle body and clean them up real well. Check spring pre load and response. Amazing what you get when these are clean and sealing well.

Great chat guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
0.1mpg (Miles per Grin)
276 Posts
I also changed the bypass valve for an optimised version at the same time as the cam. Seemed to make the car a bit smoother on acceleration, but had so much done at the same time it was difficult to tell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts