MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of getting these upgrades from lohen for my brg cooper just want to know peoples views and opinions on these items....also how much diffrence would i notice with the 130bhp package? thanks chris

MilltekCatBackOneCooperMilltek Cat-back system - One & Cooper£335.00£335.00Select Model: - Cooper- - Year Built: - 2002- - Month Built: - April- - Choice of Tailpipe: - Special- - LO1LO1 One/Cooper - 130bhp£365.00£365.00Select Model: - Cooper- - Select Year: - Pre 07/2004- - Select Gearbox: - Manual- - Would you like this fitting?: - No- - LB1LB1 Brake Package£370.00£370.00Select Model: - Cooper- - Year Built: - 2002- - Month Built: - April- - Upgrade to stainless steel end caps?: - No- - Would you like Black Coated lines?: - No- - Would you like this fitting?: - No- - LS1LS1 - Road "Monza"£540.00£540.00Select Model: - Cooper- - Year Built: - 2002- - Would you like this fitting?: - No- - Grand Total:£1,610.00

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
Chris, personally I would not spend money upgrading your cooper.

it's money you will never get back and will also make the car harder to sell.

best to save up more and go for a cooper S

Iain

·
Staying shiny-side up!
123 Posts
I've worked my way through modding the Cooper, with filters, plugs, cat-back exhaust, and all made a small difference to response etc, but not majorly more power.

Just got the Bluefin at last, and while everyone says it is not worth it for a Cooper, they have probably never tried it. OK so perhaps there is no huge jump in power like a chipped ONE, but the car is faster, smoother, has better torque in all gears, even 5th pulls much better. I can leave it in higher gears without the engine bogging down as much as before, and the car is all-round nicer and easier to drive. I had my doubts before, but now I would have no hesitation in recommending it for a Cooper, it is very much worth it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
modding a cooper power wise is daft imo (and thats coming from a vendor) a lot of money for not much back if your intent on doing it then it can be done buut some stuff is best avioded as it doesn't work and is a waste of money aviod: blufins, throttle bodies, coil packs, CAI's

best way to make power is cam shaft, manifold + cat back and panel filter and thats all the engine needs no more !

set of decent brake pads and some 5.1 fluid and some sport springs or cheaper coils (kw v1) etc will be all that needs done really

·
Staying shiny-side up!
123 Posts
Depends what you want from the car I guess. I like a quick car, but in many cases you cannot use it. I agree with you in relation to upgrading brakes though, that will result in a good increase in point to point speed.

But I disagree that the Bluefin is a waste of time, it has really improved a car that I love driving, so that is not a waste. I'm not ready to change to an S yet, with the cost of fuel etc and the driving I do.

I imagine with the cam you will have to get the car remapped anyway to make the most of the different valve openings and durations it would give you. Would this not be correct?

Chasing power is expensive whatever you do, and gets worse the more you add to the car, diminishing returns etc.

Plus some people don't feel happy opening up an engine.

Anyway, all I'm saying here to people who never get an answer on tuning a Cooper, is that ECU tuning on the Cooper is a worthwhile addition if you want to keep the car. It is quick, easy and not very expensive, and the car feels really good afterwards. That's it...

·
Registered
460 Posts
blue fin is a waste, i dont like generic maps they can and have killed engines, a proper live map costs the same and having a proper tuner work on the car is better as he can usually spot any underlying faults as most good tuners will perform a leak and compression test first to check the engines health

·
Staying shiny-side up!
123 Posts
Well tuning on any engine can highlight problems, so if there is any doubt there it is of course a good idea to test stuff like compression.

Your opinion is your own, and you do make valid points.

I like the Superchips map, even if it is a generic remap. It is being sold by a number of well-respected vendors at this stage who I am sure do not want the issue of customer complaints, so I am comfortable with my decision.

·
ECMC Addict
801 Posts
You cant really get much more out of a cooper without spending the earth Likes james said.
I had the JCW sound kit which gives next to no more power 3 or 4 horses ? but the JCW exhuast makes a great noise especally when driven hard , and the re-map that comes as part of the package is excellent and totaly transforms the way the power is planted and supplied throughout the rev range and through the gears.

Anyone needing a new exhuast on the cooper, this is how i'd suggest they do it !

·
Registered
460 Posts
the works exhaust is nearly double the price of the play mini and £150 more than the quicksilver all of which are better made than the jcw (its baffles fall out) thinkmini also offer the play mini for £250 fitted

i didnt use to rate this system as the s version was made another company (that really aint up to much) but having seen the cooper / one version its made buy play mini themselves and has a proven 3-4 bhp gain for 250 fitted that aint bad give think mini a call and tell dave or ade james from fom sport sent you

·
Staying shiny-side up!
123 Posts
I can vouch for the Playmini as well, it has a really nice sound (deeper than the JCW) and was a piece of cake to fit.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,165 Posts
I'm not too sure of the age of you MINI, fraindog, but if it's pre July 2004 I would think twice before putting much additional power through the Midlands gearbox :(

Tigger.

·
Registered
460 Posts
tigger is right id be wary of power and midlands, anything above zorst and air filter can kill them and im not kidding

although i have the midlands and mine has suffered me ragging the hell out of for 43k but it will be replaced with a 6 speed and LSD before the end of the year as i dont see it lasting much longer and i have plans ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also thinking of the superfin or a JCW upgrade myself, but does it have any insurance costs and what about the old TLC on the superfin??

·
ECMC Addict
801 Posts
How much is the JCW sound kit??

And how much is it for an engine remap??

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
I cant remember what we paid, I remember we got it discounted as the local dealer that sponsors my local club was holding an event night for us. The soundkit has a remap as part of the kit - JCW Exhuast System, JCW Airbox & Filter, JCW Boot/engine badges & remap.

MINI2 Sponsor Derek woodman has been offerring the full kit for less than £700 fitted
http://www.mini2.com/forum/derek-woodman-mini/121634-special-offer-john-cooper-works-cooper-sound-kit-1st-r50.html

Like i said in an earlier post, its something i'd only recommend if you need a new exhuast and will only give slight power gain (if any) but will definetly improve the sound and the way the power is supplied making the car more responsive across the rev range.:biggrin:

There is a seperate thread for sound kit owners on here and in it you will see a number of glowing testimony's. I'm not saying its the best or cheapest but its certainly a great option IMO:wink:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-cooper/114645-john-cooper-works-sound-kit-register.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts