MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am thinking on changing the head unit on my USA MCS 2004 for the 2005 head unit and include the Sirius Satellite Radio option. I really want to get the ability to play MP3 files on the unit, and I will take the opportunity to upgrade to Satellite Radio.

Before going on to ask my dealer, has anyone has done this before? Is it feasible? If so, was it easy? Costly? Any advice?

I have the HK Premium package installed on my Mini, so I'm thinking that just need to change the head unit (not sure if I’m right)

Appreciate your help.

Carlos
Miami, FL :dark:

·
Registered
177 Posts
What is different about the head unit for '05? Is it the MP3 capability? I have an '04 as well and I was just curious, as I do know that the '04 head unit is compatible with Sirius.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
'05 HUs do play MP3s, they also look a bit different, but yes, '03-'04s can all do sirius (or with an adapter XM) radio.

I don't actually know if its possible to switch though, so I can't help on there. Certainly you would want to get the HU used from someone who took theirs out, rather then buy it from a dealer though, as it'd be rather expensive from the parts dept.

As far as my experience though, I don't think people were able to upgrade '02s to the '03 HU to get sat radio and the aux input capabilities, so I don't think it'd look good to be able to do it for '05s, but I'm just estimating.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK,

Just found out that the Sirius Satellite Radio option is not yet ready for the US 2005 MC. The new HK HU does play MP3s, but no Satellite Radio capabilities yet. Not sure why they cannot offer it yet as it was on the 2004 model

I would have to wait until Mini USA put their act together, hopefully at te beginning of next year as they told me. Interestingly enough, replacing the HK HU with an after market product with Satellite radio/MP3 is a real hassle, according to my sources.

Well, one expense less to my 2004 budget ;)

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
The radio changed for 2005, and there's some 'technical difficulty' in getting Sat radio for 2005 suposedly. I had expected they had it sorted, but its probably something simple like waiting for the new parts to be made that's holding it up.

Going aftermarket isn't especially complicated, but you either need an adapter of some sort to use the H/K amp and speakers, or you just rip out the whole H/K system, and replace everything. Neither is cheap, and it is more complex then just replacing the headunit :)

I'm sure you can find something else to spend that budgeted money on though ;)

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
I have actually been enquiring in this too - it too would like the MP3 compatibility in my 04 MCS.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had 200 WMA files on my 05 Boost CD this morning on Random Play.

Fantastic soundtrack for the drive to work.

Sadly the random play really is random, so it "clumps" and occasionally plays the same song several times in quick succession.

And the MFSW fwd and back buttons move one track at a time - they don't re-randomise the track selection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts