MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE will someone help me!!!!

I have been fitting my aero side skirts this evening, the right one went on really easily but when fitting the left one I have had problems!!!

The black piece of plastic that mounts the side skirt doesnt fit as its exactly the same as the right hand sides....when I need a left!!!

I bought these from a well known breakers although they are new and at the moment my left hand side skirt is on but with no underneath support!!!!

I havent had a chance to confront them about this yet, but if worse comes to worse can I buy this black mount seperately?????????

Any help apprecaited!!!!!!!

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Minicabrio! I have scanned through all the Mini2 threads on 'Fitting Aero Side Skirts'...which you can imagine there are loads and found this useful little thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/exterior/149089-aero-skirts-fitting.html Special thanks to Sunnyk!!!!!

I have spoken to BMW ordered the new part and all the neccessary clips!!! Mini2 has come to my rescue!!!!

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Shouldnt the supplier provide that for you? You really should contact them and ask them to send a new one out free of charge, as you have paid for it already.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know mate, but BMW are going to have the part and all the neccessary fixings ready for me tomorrow...the timescale is more important to me than the money!

I'll tell you what I did, fixed the bracket to the sideskirt although it looked different to the other one, but I expected it to fit! Then pushed the side skirt on so all the clips attached it and then noticed the mounts fixing slots comes outward instead of inwards. So I have the skirt on my car but only half attached with ducttape to ensure its safe. I had to order new clips because when I pull it off it wil break all of them!!! BOOHOO.

I've got a nasty gap aswell at the edge of the tread plate running along side the car which i've seen this is a common fault?? I will try to iliminate this when I refit it tomorrow night!!

Fingers crossed fitting the front bumper tonight will go ok!!!!!!!!!

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
In that case, get MiniMatt to send out the new parts, then take them back to BMW. You might have to pay the restocking fee, but you should get something back for them. MiniMatt might also have the partsi n stock to send out to you.

Or he can refund the price you pay for the parts from BMW.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In that case, get MiniMatt to send out the new parts, then take them back to BMW. You might have to pay the restocking fee, but you should get something back for them. MiniMatt might also have the partsi n stock to send out to you.

Or he can refund the price you pay for the parts from BMW.
Yeah I spoke to Matt last night about it and he was ok about it all, he said he will have to have a look around for a spare left hand one and then I would have to send back the right hand side one which I've got that is wrong.:angry:

So your talking about me having to wait a week for this part which I dont think it will stay on my car that long!!!:eek:

My girlfriend says I should kick up a fuss but I just want to get it sorted ASAP and its not like its costing a fortune!! :rolleyes:

I felt so sick when I had ripped off the standard skirt and then this one wouldnt fit, especially after I got it painted!!! I was so upset!!:redface:

Anyways, your not a pro on fitting front Aero bumpers are you? Im worried about this gap inbetween the bumper and bonnet that people have had!!!!:(:(

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Its Matts fault, its his problem. He should refund the cost of the parts, and then its up ot him if he wants ot arrange pickup of the incorrect part. It's called customer service.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its Matts fault, its his problem. He should refund the cost of the parts, and then its up ot him if he wants ot arrange pickup of the incorrect part. It's called customer service.
The email I have just sent:

'Hello Matt,

Folowing our conversation last night regarding the fitment of my side
skirts which I purchased from you, I would just like to confirm that
the left bracket you supplied for the left side skirt is actually a
bracket for the right hand side and they are not universal.

Therefore at the moment my left side skirt has no support underneath
which has the possibility to come off easily at any time. I'm quite
upset about this, as I specifically asked you if everything was correct
and present to fit the side skirts and you assured me it was all fine.
I would of expected these problems if I had bought a £100 pair off of
ebay, but being that I paid £270 from a well respected company I
expected better.

I have already spoken to BMW and they can supply the left bracket and
the fixings which I am going to have to break off for approximately
£18. I am going to need new fixings due to the side skirt already being
attached and they need to be broken to remove the skirt to replace the
plastic mount.

Please let me know if you have the neccessary mounting bracket and
fixings that you can send me, or if you are willing to pay the charges
I have from BMW?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Brad'

Thats ok isn't it? There a realy good company and provide a great service....just a shame about this mix up!!!

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
as he is on every page in a recent mini mag, i would think its in his intrests to give you the best possible service, its not as if he has a low profile...

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
Totally agree that mini matt should sort & i would imagine he would.

I wouldnt be so worried about have no mounting plate as if you remeber i put this thread up a few weeks ago & asked exactly that question & have been driving around for nearlly a month with no mouting plates & had no probs yet (touch wood!!) I even been to Cowley & back on the motorway with no problems so you should be fine unless you ground out then thats when you would have the problems.

Surely the clips are cheaper than that as i didnt pay that much the other week put you will have to take them off as that was what i was told - i still havent made my mind up if to get my brother to re-do or just leave but they are not fully secure without them.

Hope you get it sorted soon & the front bumper is easier

Good luck :)

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was about £14 for the big mounting bracket and the rest was for all the little fixings!

Yeah its definately worth doing, cause I would hate it to fly off going down the motorway and cause an accident!!

So far Matt hasn't come back to me!?!

Any advice mini33 on fitting the bumper????

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
I think you should be able to attach the new part without removing the skirt??

Also I know BMW do sometimes **** things like this up - On my car I ordered a pair of aero skirts, they came - boxed up so I took them to a body shop & had them painted only to find when I came to fit them that they were both Right side skirts!!!
The carbon fibre wheel spokes when you order a set virtually everytime you get a right spoke and 2 left spokes no bottom spoke!!

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As expected Minimatt have sent me a Paypal payment to cover the costs of the new parts!!!

All I have to do is send them the bracket that is wrong!

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Cool. I am guessing he is paying for a courier to pick it up, or paying the postage? After all, it's not your mistake, it's his.

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool. I am guessing he is paying for a courier to pick it up, or paying the postage? After all, it's not your mistake, it's his.
He's just asked if I can send it back without any discussion about him paying the costs or arranging collection!?! I live miles away from a post office so it may take a while to get back to him!!! ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts