MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my Mini Cooper 2005 for 5 months now. I brought from a small garage in my local town.
I had a few faults with it when i first had it and didn't have the time to go back to the garage due to being ill in hospital and having lots to sort out.
I start with the first bit. After a few days of having the MIni I decided to give her a proper detail and when cleaning I found that she had a crack on top right hand windscreen. I went and sought advice from a friend mechanic who advised me that it was due to where the windscreen hadn't been fitted properly and due to car moving as you go round corners it had caused the windscreen to crack. I did have intentions of going back to the garage but so much happened and I lost the thought and really couldn't be bothered with something that could be sorted out quite quickly.
Recently I have learned that my breaks are very close to needing new ones, which I am not happy as the car has only done roughly 3500 miles since leaving the garage. Over the weekend I had my exhaust up on a jack and I noticed that my exhaust had rotted and that I would need a new one and although there is no hole.
I understand that this is a common thing with Mini's... but should I be expected to have to fix all these problems on a Used Car from a supposable rectable garage.
There answer is that they PDI the car and did not see the crack in the windscreen or the fact that the exhaust had been rusted. But also I didn't get a copy of the PDI, should I of had a copy.
They are also not willing to do my brakes either and do not believe they should have been done as they were 70% worn but i spoke to a mechanic from a main dealer and they said they replace used brakes at 65%.

Could anyone advise me what to the do?? I know some of it is my fault as due not to sorting it out straight away but i think being ill is quite a good excuse and I work long hours and weekends. What rights do I have

If anyone could help I would be much appreciated!!!

·
Northerner in t'south
365 Posts
I am sure it is not what you want to hear but your rights are pretty much nothing. Anything they do will be goodwill and should be seen as a bonus. Unless it is an approved used car from a main dealer, sold to a pre-set standard then it is down to the buyer to inspect such things as brake pad and exhaust wear.

Even taking it back earlier they would be perfectly within their rights to do nothing. If the brakes were 70% worn then they will argue they still have 30% left so would not look to replace, the car would still be safe and legal.

What they do as a goodwill to preserve their reputation is down to them.

Sorry!:(

·
I get my kicks in an R56
481 Posts
The standards the garage operates too are up to them. As richhamer says, if you went to BMW then they may have stricter policies with regards to levels of wear, BUT you do pay for that in the slightly higher price of the vehicles from there. I'd hazard a guess that is why you didn't buy from a main dealer in the first place. And after all, it is a USED car so things will be worn somewhat versus a new car! Within reason, you are expected to have inspected the car and be satisfied with its condition. If you had a proper Used Car order or invoice it would have said this.

If the exhaust has no hole in it, then its fine. The original exhausts do carry quite a bit of surface rust, but until it rusts through there isn't a problem. And you best bet is to replace that with a stainless steel one!

The dealer has no obligation to give you a copy of the PDI, although if you requested to see it I can't imagine it would be a problem. Don't be under any illusion that this will reveal loads about the car, it may be no more than a page full of ticks showing what was checked.

With the windscreen, the best bet is to claim for that on your insurance and if you are fully comprehensive it'll either be totally free, or there will be a very small excess.

Also, in the first six months it is the garages responsibilty to prove any problems were not there when the vehicle was sold. After that, it is YOUR responsibilty to prove any defects were present when you bought the car. Unfortunately, being ill, won't curry a great deal of favour, unless you were hospitalized for the duration

·
Registered
651 Posts
How many miles has the car done (total)?

This will give us all an idea of wear and tear to be expected of a 3 year old car with that mileage.

At the end of the day it is a 3 year old car and things do wear and tear with age and useage. You should always inspect the car yourself before you agree to anything and if it wasn't sold with an extended warranty it was probably "sold as seen"

One option you have got is to buy an extended warranty which covers around 90% of parts, some can even cover brakes, clutch and tyres. Then if something does fail or break then you have the confidence in the warranty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah thanks exactly what i thought..... i did believe that n family pushed me into thinking it is worst than what it is.

i am quite happy with it and have no problem paying to replace the items as i would have modified them anyway

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
We sell the RAC used car warranty but they have to include a strict check of the vehicle before the policy can be raised.

Your exhaust may not need replacing for another year or two.

The cracked window will be covered by your insurance.

And brake pads are not that dear, please feel free to give me a call we can give any assistance.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts