MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the miniusa.com site, both MINI models have suddenly gained significant weight.

When the site was recently updated the weight of a Cooper S went from 2513 to 2678 lbs. - a gain of 165 lbs. (about 75 kg). :(

And a standard 5 speed Cooper went from 2315 to 2524 lbs - a gain of 209 lbs. (about 95 kg). :eek:

So, what happened? Incorrect numbers supplied before, or modifications to the US-spec?

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Bruce,
I've heard that all cars sold to Texans will add an additional 325 lbs. to the already added extra weight. This is because of Texas Longhorn rack that is added to the bonnet and heavy gold trim on fenders, wheel wells, etc.:p

·
Registered
930 Posts
Cape Cod MINI said:
Bruce,
I've heard that all cars sold to Texans will add an additional 325 lbs. to the already added extra weight. This is because of Texas Longhorn rack that is added to the bonnet and heavy gold trim on fenders, wheel wells, etc.:p
LMFAO.....................:p :D

·
Registered
785 Posts
As of this morning, I've got an email into MiniUSA (crossing my fingers) asking exactly what is "unladen weight" in terms of options, fuel, and driver. If this new weight has NONE of those, this thing's a beast. My guess is a full tank of fuel and driver (160lbs). If that's the case, it's not bad, that's another 240lbs.

·
Registered
783 Posts
That the already-heavy S is suddenly 165lbs heavier is very disconcerting. That drops the car's power-to-rate ratio below a lot of competitors. It's now as heavy as a RSX or Focus SVT, 200 pounds heavier than a Celica, and creeping up on the porky GTI. Huge disappointment. This is the only news that I've heard that would cause me to seriously reconsider my options.
I don't see how the U.S.-spec car could contain 165lbs of extra "safety"- or emisions-related gear, compared to cars in other markets. Is the U.S.-spec S really 400+ pounds heavier than a home-market Cooper? Where in a car of that size could you put even enough lead to add 400 pounds?!?!?!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Cape Cod you forgot to add in the weight of the gun rack to hold the rifles when you go out to round up sum supplies dinner.

J/K Texans...couldn't help it though.

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Yeah, the gun rack definately will add some weight. Could be that the sunroof is standard for all Texas cars to accomodate the huge stetson hats that will be poking out through the roof!
Maybe they'll add a cow-catcher too, just like on the trains.
And maybe a front fender blade to automatically scoop up the road-kill armadillos!:D

·
Registered
679 Posts
Has anyone been able to confirm what this really means? It could be at they have listed the maximum weight of a fully optioned car and I can imagine the sunroof adding this much.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Sorry, but I doubt it's the options (I'm wishing it was). The Road and Track test had several options including the sunroof on their German car, and they didn't have an "As Tested" weight this high.
It seems most logical that they either added some U.S. spec crap or weighed it with a driver and full tank. If the latter is true, we'll be ok, that weight's not bad.

My loaded 10AE Miata with the spare pulled and almost no gas weighed in at 2315lbs. Add a full tank of gas at about 6lbs./gallon and you add 70lbs. Add a average driver around 160lbs. This is a total of 2545lbs for a Miata with 140hp vs. the MINI at 2670lbs with 163hp and a LOT more torque.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well I have sent a question into MINIusa.com about the weight increase. I will post their response when it arrives.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
US MINIs come standard with AHPS-II (head airbags) and an "air-conditioned" glovebox ... but these can't possibly account for all the weight difference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The German one Road and Track Tested...

Miniac, the one tested in R&T had the side airbags in front and back, like the US spec. most of the euro specs I have seen include 75 Kilos for a driver (165 lbs).

·
Registered
350 Posts
The portliness of the MINI must be a result of making the frame so rigid, and of using such a hi-tech rear suspension. And, the weight of the car must be one of the reasons that the car gets such surprisingly bad gas mileage.

I'll bet the difference in weight between the US and UK versions is due simply to sloppy measuring or sloppy arithmetic. Because, aside from left hand drive, a few extra light bulbs, and the mandatory head airbags, what's different about the US spec?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Clutch Cargo said:
...Because, aside from left hand drive, a few extra light bulbs, and the mandatory head airbags, what's different about the US spec?
Air conditioning as standard equipment for one thing.

Perhaps reinforced bumpers to handle 2.5 mph impact without damage for another?

·
Registered
431 Posts
BruceK,

The MINI.CO.UK site has the Cooper S at 1225 kg (EU) which is just over 2700 lbs. Don't know what EU weight is, and I don't know if that includes the weight of the Aircon as it is not standard. I think UK and US pounds or kilogrames may be different though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
wieght

I own a 1994 Suzuki Swift GT. The car weighs somewhere around 1900lbs curb weight. For a car that's the same size (Narrower though) as the New MINI, It's hard to believe they're is a 400-500lbs difference???!! I know the structure of the MINI has got to be a primary reason....and all the "luxury" and safety stuff. I'll be looking for every carbon-fiber aftermarket goody in existence! :)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cooper_S said:
BruceK,

The MINI.CO.UK site has the Cooper S at 1225 kg (EU) which is just over 2700 lbs. Don't know what EU weight is, and I don't know if that includes the weight of the Aircon as it is not standard. I think UK and US pounds or kilogrames may be different though.
Cooper_S, unlike with gallon measurement there is no difference in UK vs. UK pounds (excluding of course these types of £'s :) )

For weight, a pound is 16 oz. (or 2.20462 kg. :D) and it does not matter what side of the Atlantic you are on it is still the same.

So it is not clear what exactly is being weighed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
BruceK said:

For weight, a pound is 16 oz. (or 2.20462 kg. :D)
Just a quick note Bruce, I think you got that reversed. It's 2.2 lbs. per kilo, not the other way around ;) So 16 oz. is 0.4536 kg, not 2.20462.

16 oz.= 1 lb. =.4536 kg
1 kg = 2.20459 lbs. = 35.27337 oz.

PigLick

1 - 20 of 28 Posts