MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you want an on-board computer without having to order the Premium Package?

Do you want 5-star alloys on your 'S' as a no-cost option, like in all other markets?

Do you want the seats with cloth seating surfaces and leather bolsters that are being offered in other markets?

If you answered YES to any of these questions, let MINI USA know about it by sending an email to [email protected].

Yes, I've read the post from one dealer saying you can order 5-stars on your 'S', and the post from one member whose dealer took his order for an 'S' with cloth / leather seats. No offense intended to anyone, but AFAIK these options have not been input into any sort of official ordering system, so we don't really know they'll be valid.

Don't wait until it's too late. Let MINI USA know NOW how you'd like to build your car!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Amen!

MINIAC,

Thanks for articulating this. Interestingly, you cited all 3 critical items I intended to take up w/ my dealer.

You're right though, there's time to be proactive instead. But not much. Better to make MINI NA aware now than to horse-trade for the parts later (which is what I was anticipating):mad:.

Here's the letter I sent:
Hi All,

I'm writing to express my concern about the seemingly restricted options that will be available for the USA-spec MINIs.

Several of the options most important to me are not being offered for my MINI Cooper S, which is scheduled be ordered in the near future. These items are:

1. Leather/cloth combination sport seats.
2. On Board Computer option available separately from the Premium Package.
3. 16" 5-star alloy wheels w/ high performance tires (perhaps a Sport Package option)
4. Reasonable selection of seat colors
5. Cold Weather options available separately

I have been enthusiastically following the development of the MINI since I first heard rumors years ago. I placed my deposit clear back in May '01. I want this car badly.
But as revelations of limited options, unappealing seat choice/color, restrictive option packages, no center armrest, increased curb weight, and lowered engine output figures emerge, I find myself considering other cars. I say this not as any kind of threat, but to offer you insight into one enthusiast's purchase decision.

Ideally, I'd like to see full customization of options available. Putting off my purchase until the car is "properly" spec'ed is not an option. I *will* be buying a car this year-- I hope there will be a MINI that thrills me.

Regards,

-Eric Sundheim
Boston, MA
MINI2.com member RedShift42

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've got one more for your list, where there's conflicting information in the brochures: the 16" wheels for the Cooper really should have all-season run-flat tires available. We occasionally get snow in the U.S. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
What about an option for 17" wheels on the Cooper? I am a bit confused on what wheels are availible anyway. I like the wheels in the gallery on the Indi blu Cooper, are those the option wheels we can get in the states?

Anyone know if a 17"x7.5" w/ 40mm offset will fit a Cooper?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The US brochure doesn't list the 17" S-spoke wheels as being available as an option on the Cooper ... the 16" 5-star wheels are optional.

The 17" x 7" factory wheels have an offset of 48 or 50. MiniMania is running 17" x 7" ET42 BBS RK wheels with 205/40 tires on their racer. I've seen 18" x 8" ET35 aftermarket wheels offered. So 17" x 7.5" ET40 wheels may work.

For pictures of wheels, do a search (titles only) for f.a.q. and check out the FAQ on wheels and tires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The reason I was asking about the other wheels is because that is what I have on my VW so instead of selling them I could just swap them and get the no-cost option wheels from MINI and put some dot competition tires on the for auto-xing.
So the wheel shown on the Indi Blu Cooper in the gallery are not going to be availible for U.S. market?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're refering to the wheels pictured below, they're NOT being offered.

Do your VW wheels have the proper bolt pattern and centerbore? What size tires are you planning on running?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am not sure the centerbore size. They thave a small ring that adapts to the VW centerbore. I may be able to get the correct ring for the MINI.

Yes those were the wheels. Oh-well! I think they were one of the better looking wheels. :(

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
This is the area where I think BMW Australia have got it right. As far as we have been told the "packages" offered in the USA & UK markets are not offered here. We get a good basic specification, and can then add basically what we want. The Cooper here was done in a similar fashion. If you check out www.mini.com.au you can see how high the oz Cooper is as standard, other options are available seperately. Why this was not done in other countries and considering each Cooper & Cooper S is basically built to order is beyond me.

I might be revising this post late next week when we get the full Australian Cooper S spec, but if the Cooper is anything to go by the above statement should hold true.

I agree that anyone who is forced into buying "packages" are going to end up spending money on stuff they don't want.

BMW are listening.......so make a noise.

Full marks go to BMW Australia in my books (so far!!!)

cheers

:)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Basil said:
This is the area where I think BMW Australia have got it right. As far as we have been told the "packages" offered in the USA & UK markets are not offered here. We get a good basic specification, and can then add basically what we want. ....
Wait a minute. :) The packages offered in the US are generally a good thing - saving the buyer lots of money over the items priced individually. Especially the Sport Package at $1250 vs. at least $1820 for the same options if bought separately.

The only issue is that we want it both ways - the ability to buy one or two items separate from a package. For example, (as MINIAC has explained elsewhere), the on-board computer (probably less than $200 if priced separately) is only available as part of the $1250 Premium Package, meaning you've got to get the sunroof, climate control and the MFSW if your heart is really set on having the on-board computer.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
BruceK said:

The only issue is that we want it both ways -
Fair enough.

Well hopefully it will turn out to be a storm in a tea cup....

If the speedo design is the same with or without the "on-board computer" hopefully you should be able to add it for a small premium. The electrics are supposed to be plug-n-play after all.

I waited 2 minutes !!

:)

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BruceK said:

... the on-board computer (probably less than $200 if priced separately) is only available as part of the $1250 Premium Package, meaning you've got to get the sunroof, climate control and the MFSW if your heart is really set on having the on-board computer.
If OBC was a $300 option like on a BMW 325i, there would be $1750 worth of options (SR = 800, CC = 300, MFSW = 350, OBC = 300) in the $1250 Premium Package, giving it similar value to the Sports Package ($1250 versus $1820 for options purchased separately).

But then who can tell about BMW pricing ... Nappa Leather seats are $1100 on the M3, but Gravity Leather costs $1250 on the 'S' :confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Amen!

I recieved a response from my letter (above) to MINI USA that I cc'ed thru the MINIUSA website. Here's the response, should anybody want to snail-mail them on this issue. If I hear back from them I'll post

"Hi Eric! I'm with the corporate MINI team in the United States.
Thanks for your idea! Why don't you send all pertinent information, to us as follows:

MINI division of BMW NA, LLC
P.O. Box 1227
Westwood, NJ 07675-1227
Attn: MINI Marketing Dept.
"

·
Registered
62 Posts
From what I've heard, the OBC will be offered by itself at a later date. And the brochure copy I have here says that there is an option for all-season or performance run-flat tires. I don't have any final info on interior selection yet, but we train in the first week of march, so there should be more definite info then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts