• Gave Up Trying to Guess

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...based on all the "information" from MINI USA, and all the rumors, specualtion, wet dreams, etc. when do you believe you'll be driving your "S"? Only respond to the poll if you're low on the list...like #20 or less...one of the first to be driving one on the road.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i'm confused- why is #20 low on the list? i'm #16 on the NYC "S" list, #38 overall - i expect, at 2 per month, that means november - is this why it's a low #?

november seems so far away...

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Depends whether you're talking about a pre-spec'd 'S' or one spec'd "your way". Don't think you can expect a customer spec'd 'S' before July.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MINIAC said:
Depends whether you're talking about a pre-spec'd 'S' or one spec'd "your way". Don't think you can expect a customer spec'd 'S' before July.
Really? Why do you say that? The rumor I've been counting on is that on the March 22 Grand Opening, I'll be able to spec my car (I'm #1 at my dealer) for delivery in 60 days (end of May). No ?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ken, exactly what you just said is what a good source at MINI USA told Mini Magnum.
I don't forsee my Spec car coming any later than end of May unless something goes wrong with the production.

Plus, I'm now debating on the second-month pre-spec S's. Supposedly, it will be a stripped EB and loaded DS. The stripped EB should have only Auto Air and Fogs. I may take that putting me in an S in APRIL!!!

The source said each dealer will get 2 S's for March 22nd, both demos, both loaded. The May delivery will bring the above for sale.

Again, we can only go by what we're told, but this source is a goody I believe.

Oh, I'm no. 1 on the list.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
My guesstimate for the first customer spec'd 'S' not arriving until July was based on communications I've had with Deep Throat at MINI USA, the SME at another dealer who has a contact in the BMWNA ordering department and the SME at my dealer:
  • All dealers received a questionaire asking how they would like their pre-spec'd cars equipped
  • Only pre-spec'd cars will be built in March and April, and probably May
  • It will take a few months for 'S' production to ramp up to the "best case" 8-10 per dealer per month
Sure you could have one in May, if a pre-spec'd 'S' comes in the way you like it and you've got a good spot on the waiting list.

I really hope I'm blowing smoke and we can spec an 'S' for delivery before July.

BTW, I voted for "Gave Up Trying To Guess" ;)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
MINIAC said:
My guesstimate for the first customer spec'd 'S' not arriving until July was based on communications I've had with Deep Throat at MINI USA, the SME at another dealer who has a contact in the BMWNA ordering department and the SME at my dealer:
  • All dealers received a questionaire asking how they would like their pre-spec'd cars equipped
This is the part I don't understand. Why was there a questionaire? Was it so the dealer would have control over the pre-spec Cooper S's? It seems that answer to that is 'yes'. So...if the dealer has control over determining how the pre-spec Cooper S's will be equipped then why wouldn't those cars instead be the first customer-ordered cars?

If each dealer will be custom ordering every Cooper S that comes their way from the very start (as MINIUSA has told me), why wouldn't the dealership contact those customers at the start of their waiting list and order exactly the cars these early people want, instead of ordering a series of S models that may only vaguely meet their customers' wishes? (With the likely result being some of the cars are not sold to those early on the list and are then passed down the list, person to person, until a somebody wants to buy the car as is. Doesn't sound very efficient.)

Is the reason for pre-spec Cooper S's just to ensure cars fully loaded with all options (i.e. higher profit) arrive first, or is it that the cars must be ordered before the dealerships are offically open? Or is it something else so obvious I can't see it?
MINIAC said:
  • Only pre-spec'd cars will be built in March and April, and probably May
Related to my questions above, why wouldn't these be customer-ordered cars instead of dealer speculative models?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I still feel mid May is a pretty good target date. I talked to both MINIUSA reps and the dealer sales staff last Friday night at the 'official' showing in St Louis. The general feeling is mid-May, maybe late-May. I was told that I should get 90 to 100% of the car I 'requested'. As I wanted all 3 packages, I still feel the car will be as I 'ordered'. We will see. I also had the impression that the readiness of your dealer will have an impact on the delivery date. If the dealer is not ready for the roll out next month expect all delivery dates to slip.
#3 St Louis
Mike:D :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
I am #2 at my dealer and expect to spec my Cooper S somewhere around the March 22 launch date (when I'll be able to test drive the demos) and take delivery around mid-May or late May.

·
Registered
130 Posts
where am I on the S list?

ARRGH! I don't know where I am on the list because my dealer won't tell me yet. It's making me crazy because everyone else seems to know. I guess if I don't get it until the end of next year then that'll give me time to save up more money.

minimott

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
BruceK said:

Why was there a questionaire? Was it so the dealer would have control over the pre-spec Cooper S's? It seems that answer to that is 'yes'. So...if the dealer has control over determining how the pre-spec Cooper S's will be equipped then why wouldn't those cars instead be the first customer-ordered cars?

If each dealer will be custom ordering every Cooper S that comes their way from the very start (as MINIUSA has told me), why wouldn't the dealership contact those customers at the start of their waiting list and order exactly the cars these early people want, instead of ordering a series of S models that may only vaguely meet their customers' wishes? (With the likely result being some of the cars are not sold to those early on the list and are then passed down the list, person to person, until a somebody wants to buy the car as is. Doesn't sound very efficient.)

Is the reason for pre-spec Cooper S's just to ensure cars fully loaded with all options (i.e. higher profit) arrive first, or is it that the cars must be ordered before the dealerships are offically open? Or is it something else so obvious I can't see it?
The questionaire was a "wish list" ... no dealer is guaranteed to get cars equipped exactly like they specified. I was also told that the pre-spec'd cars would differ between regions in the country ... like colder climate regions would have some fitted with the Cold Weather Package and warmer climate regions would get more pre-spec'd with sunroofs.

Based on posts at MINI2, some dealers actually contacted those on their wait lists to get input ... probably in hopes of matching pre-spec'd cars to those on their lists. If dealers were going to be custom ordering 'S' models from the get-go, those of us low on the list who were promised "an 'S' built our way" would have been asked to give our specs. Since this hasn't happened I have to assume that all March builds will be pre-spec'd. I don't believe the franchise agreements will be finalizied until March. Coupled with a near the end of month launch, I don't see any specs being taken in March either ... hence I expect all April builds will be pre-spec'd as well. I'm hoping we can customer order an 'S' in April for a May build but I'm not holding my breath.

The 'S' will be basically a new model and production in the first few months will be limited. Just like first few months of Coopers were pre-spec'd in the UK, so too will be the case for the 'S' in the US.

I know this is frustrating, but we all need to relax.

I remember ordering my BMW 2002 tii in September of 1972 and having to wait 5 months before I took delivery. Once I order my 'S', I know I'm not going to have to wait that long to get it. :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
MINIAC said:
....I was also told that the pre-spec'd cars would differ between regions in the country ... like colder climate regions would have some fitted with the Cold Weather Package and warmer climate regions would get more pre-spec'd with sunroofs.
Even though I live in a warm climate, if it came down to it to choose between the two, I'd much rather have a car with the Cold Weather Package instead of a sunroof.
MINIAC said:
....I know this is frustrating, but we all need to relax...
Ouch! Direct hit! :)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
MINIAC said:
I wasn't directing my comment to you in particular ... that's why I said "we" ;)
Oh I know that! :D In this case 'we' is a very large group of impatient S customers-to-be -- I'm just one of the gang.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The Cooper S is coming in May, but the questions are:

a) Are there pre-spec'd cars coming in May or customer-build cars?
b) If customer build, then when do we order?

I read BruceK's post about the first Cooper S cars to be ordered by the customer (meaning no pre-spec'd cars).......hope this is true!! :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm 1st on the list at BMW of Nashville for a Cooper S (put a deposit down in January 2001), but since they haven't even broken ground yet for their Mini showroom, I understand they will not even be able to order my car until June (which is when they expect completion of said showroom). Therefore, I'm expecting my car in late July to August.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I went in on Saturday and Spec'ed out my car. I am getting exactly what I want and I will be getting it in July. My dealer told me that the pre-speced cars will be in in march april may, then spec'ed cars will start arriving late june early july. If I wanted one of the pre-speced cars, I could have had one, but none came with the cold weather:(. So I will wait for my car and be sad when I see an S before I get mine but then I will be happy because mine will be here soon---:D:D:D:D!!! At least I will be able to play with it for part of the Auto cross season!

Daniel

·
Registered
38 Posts
MikeNSX said:
I'm 1st on the list at BMW of Nashville for a Cooper S (put a deposit down in January 2001), but since they haven't even broken ground yet for their Mini showroom, I understand they will not even be able to order my car until June (which is when they expect completion of said showroom). Therefore, I'm expecting my car in late July to August.
Hello MikeNSX- Your post about Mini of Nashville showroom not being ready until June is bad news for customers for the new mini. :( I hope this doesn't mean the dealership can't sell any cars before June:confused: That would be very bad indeed.Where are they going to put the new cars received in March or April? What's up.:confused: :(

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Lemooz said:
... I hope this doesn't mean the dealership can't sell any cars before June:confused: That would be very bad indeed.Where are they going to put the new cars received in March or April? What's up.:confused: :(
Supposedly, the word from MINIUSA is that until a completed MINI dealership is approved to be opened for business, no cars can be sold - even at temporary facilities. This also means that no cars will be shipped to the unopened dealership.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CSDan said:
I went in on Saturday and Spec'ed out my car. I am getting exactly what I want and I will be getting it in July. My dealer told me that the pre-speced cars will be in in march april may, then spec'ed cars will start arriving late june early july. If I wanted one of the pre-speced cars, I could have had one, but none came with the cold weather:(. So I will wait for my car and be sad when I see an S before I get mine but then I will be happy because mine will be here soon---:D:D:D:D!!! At least I will be able to play with it for part of the Auto cross season!

Daniel
Daniel;

Maybe not to worry...the MINI USA rep just told me that all Northeast US cars that are factory specced will have the cold weather package...even down "south" here in Maryland.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts