MINI Cooper Forum banner

US Buyers: What wheels will you be ordering for your 'S'?

• 16" V-spokes if dealer won't swap 16" 5-stars for them

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • 16" V-spokes because I like them

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • 17" S-spokes if dealer won't swap 16" 5-stars for 16" V-spokes

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • 17" S-spokes because I like them

Votes: 45 51.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted some demographics on the effect of 16" 5-star wheels not being offered as a no cost option on the 'S' here in the US.

If you live in the US and want 5-star alloys as a no cost option on the 'S', let MINI USA know about it by sending an email to [email protected].

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
MINIAC said:
.....let MINI USA know about it by sending an email to [email protected].
Having recently sent several emails directly to [email protected] that have gone unacknowledged and unanswered, I wonder if it is any use at all in trying to communicate with them, let alone trying to persuade them to make a change.

Sorry, I don't mean to be pessimistic and knock your idea, but it's simply a reflection of past experiences trying to correspond with MINIUSA and being indifferently ignored.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My last couple of emails to MINI USA have gone unanswered also ... I assumed they were just tired of hearing from me.

The point is if enough people write to them complaining about the 5-stars not being available, they may do something about it ... as appears to be the case of offering OBC as a standalone option.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
FYI. When I talked to my dealer about the wheel choices, he mentioned that there will be other choices than the two wheels for the 'S'. Something like the option catalogue in the UK. I really like the two-piece looking wheels, but I am really concerned over the price. Basically, it sounds like they will have an aftermarket type catalogue of wheels for you to choose from with a credit given for the wheels you turn in. Does not sound cheap.

I personally like the 5 spoke over the 17" S spoke.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Re: Re: US Buyers: What wheels will you be ordering for your 'S'?

BruceK said:
Having recently sent several emails directly to [email protected] that have gone unacknowledged and unanswered, I wonder if it is any use at all in trying to communicate with them, let alone trying to persuade them to make a change.

Sorry, I don't mean to be pessimistic and knock your idea, but it's simply a reflection of past experiences trying to correspond with MINIUSA and being indifferently ignored.
To set the record straight after all my complaining, today I received a nice reply from 'Wayne' at MINIUSA. :)

Wayne mentioned some email problems that had caused the delay in responding, but more significantly, he actually provided a nice and detailed answer to the question I had sent. (in other words, I did not a form letter :) ) I'm much happier now to know that my emails are not being ignored. ;)

-------------

Back to the question at hand. I do prefer the 5-stars and I will send an email to MINIUSA to request they offer a no-charge option of getting them on a Cooper S in place of the x-lite wheels.

·
Registered
930 Posts
My preference is definitely the 5-star wheels if I can get them

16" V-spokes if dealer won't swap 16" 5-stars for them

·
Registered
300 Posts
When I was at the dealership putting a deposit on my car, I asked about exchanging the wheels for the white 5-spoked ones. I noticed there was a few wheel options available. One of them said something along the lines of "no wheels". I'm guessing you can order the car with non-OEM wheels?

I too am hoping they'll let us opt for the 16" white 5-spokes for no extra charge... :eek:

·
Loves MINI2
855 Posts
I plan on getting after market 17's anyway, so it doesn't matter that much.
BUT, I would prefer the 5 spokes to sport around in until I get the new ones.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Should MINI not change their stance on not offering the 16" 5-star, my plan is to work out some kind of deal w/ a local Cooper owner.

I figure if I get the 17" S-spokes I'll be able to post my interest in a barter-swap here at MINI2. There's bound to be a Cooper Sport Pkg customer who wants a set of 17".

That said, Hey MINI, I'd rather not resort to this. Pls let me order a la carte

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone want to change their vote?

The 17" S-spokes weigh 25.1lb (11.4kg) each, the 16" 5-stars are 20.0lb (9.1kg) and the 16" V-spokes (or should I say X-lites) are 17.6lb (8.0kg).

For all the other wheel weights (and offsets) see the updated FAQ on factory wheels.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
WOW!!!:rolleyes:

Those 17" are heavy! That extra poundage from the S-spokes should create a noticeable difference in acceleration.

Looks like 16" for me with maybe some aftermarket light weight alloys later.

Here is a website that lists a bunch of aftermarket wheels and their weights.

http://www.wheelweights.net/

enjoy

·
Registered
106 Posts
my choice

I will be ordering the 17" wheels or possibly get a standard wheel and buy an aftermarket wheel for example I'm considering a set 18" Lowenhart LD1 chrome wheels because i like the shape of the wheel or 18" Moda R6 wheels may be even 18" Racing Hart M5s. I know it's alot of choices but I'll make the choice when the car is in the driveway.:D

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Twiggy said:
I will be ordering the 17" wheels or possibly get a standard wheel and buy an aftermarket wheel for example I'm considering a set 18" Lowenhart LD1 chrome wheels because i like the shape of the wheel or 18" Moda R6 wheels may be even 18" Racing Hart M5s.
Have you considered how little sidewall you're going to have with a 35-series tire?

215/35 = 2.96"
225/35 = 3.10"
235/35 = 3.24" (you may not be able to go this wide)

Hope you don't hit a pot-hole or curb.

I take it, that because you're undecided, you didn't vote.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It's a toss between 17" S-Spoke and 16" V-Spoke.

Although I'd much rather have a set of white V-Spokes in a 17" size. I can get them after market, but then they lack the center cap which covers the nuts

I want the sports suspension, but all season tires are going to be easier to get for the higher profile 16s.

·
Registered
106 Posts
To: Miniac and Brantv

Thank for the info Miniac but i think ill take my chances with a 215/45 zr tire. And brantv if u live in southern california u can contact 310motoring they make custom center caps for any vehicle thats what I plan to do with me wheels also.

www.310motoring.com click to see their site and get the number.:p

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Twiggy said:
Thank for the info Miniac but i think ill take my chances with a 215/45 zr tire.
The 35-series tires I was refering to were for 18" wheels. The 215/45 tire sizing leads me to believe you decided to go with 17" wheels. At 24.62" overall diameter, they're getting pretty tall, so make sure they fit before taking the plunge. ;)

·
Sham's apprentice
721 Posts
MINIAC said:
Just wanted some demographics on the effect of 16" 5-star wheels not being offered as a no cost option on the 'S' here in the US.

If you live in the US and want 5-star alloys as a no cost option on the 'S', let MINI USA know about it by sending an email to [email protected].
In looking over the MINI brochure that I picked up from my dealer yesterday (COOPERs on-site in late march!) it clearly states that the 5 stars will be optional on both the Cooper and the S.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the brochure is the same one given out at the LA Auto Show it has conflicting information regarding 5-stars. According to MINI USA:
5-star alloys are Cooper only (despite what the brochure shows).

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
17" s-spokes 25.1 pounds:(
16" x-lites 17.6 pounds:)
diff./wheel 7.5 pounds:rolleyes:
diff. x 4 30.0 pounds:eek:
Finally a reason to go on a diet and lose that 30 pounds or so!:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Cape Cod MINI said:
17" s-spokes 25.1 pounds:(
16" x-lites 17.6 pounds:)
diff./wheel 7.5 pounds:rolleyes:
diff. x 4 30.0 pounds:eek:
Finally a reason to go on a diet and lose that 30 pounds or so!:D
Ouch, a bit heavy there, gonna have to get some light weight wheels for Auto-crossing--:D And lose that extra weight too;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts