1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
US MINI Wish List : Wants vs. Needs

Needs:

1) Fault free MINI's
2) Able to service a MINI at ANY BMW dealership.

Wants:

1) One Titanium silver adjustable armrest w/black leather padding. This can be a dealer accessory, just make one!

2) Want BMW to hold release of all US bound cars until all build quality issues are resolved. Remember BMW, (yes I'm wagging my finger at you) :

Build Quality + Reliability = Reputation!

PS. I am buying a MINI in Maryland, living in Ohio, and having it serviced in Michigan. That is, when the dealership is built, Sept 2002 maybe? Until then I have a Two-hour drive (Cleveland), or a 2.5-hour drive (Columbus).
Can you think of any scenarios in which I might have problems with service?

Ok rant over. Carry on then!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Needs: (In no particular order)

1) A loaner vehicle, at no charge, for all of my routine servicing and repairs under warranty.

2) A MINI Cooper S that does not pull to the left on the test drive. If it does, I'll be buying something else, not in the BMW line.

3) My MINI to arrive on-time and intact.

Wants: (In no particular order)

1) To be able to get a chance at driving it without my girlfriend steeling the keys all the time.

2) Less Rant and more Rave in this forum. Let's all just get these stinkin' MINI's on the road and enjoy the hell out of'em. :rolleyes:

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Being 7 hours from the nearest MINI dealer, I am extremely concerned too. I’ve already received a very direct answer from a representative of MINIUSA which confirms MINIs will not be serviced at those BMW dealers who did not obtain a MINI franchise. Only the 70 MINI dealers will provide service across the vastness of the US. Period.

I certainly agree with you that quality concerns and servicing logistics are easily the two biggest obstacles to considering owning a MINI in the US.

I recently asked the MINI dealer where I plan to buy my Cooper S (a mere 14 hours away) about the service issue. Specifically, since the miniusa.com website indicates that the MINI will come standard with a Roadside Assistance Program, what does that entail? He responded that he thought it would be that same as the BMW roadside assistance program and it would cover towing a disabled MINI to the nearest dealer, putting the owner up in a hotel, etc. IF this is true, it will provide some level of comfort.

My dealer also speculated that MINIUSA may consider setting up some sort of “service oasis’s” (my description) in some parts of the US to help repair stranded MINIs where there are no MINI dealers nearby. These places would not sell cars, just service them, he suggested.

Take a look at the description below. It seems open to speculation.

Attachments

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Bruce,
By the time you drive to your dealer and home you will have reached the next service interval! You will spend your life driving back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.......:p
How about this? Based on MINI's quote of "roadside assistance 24 hours a day, etc...", every time you reach a service interval call the RoadSide Assistance number, "Hi, this is Bruce, my MINI won't start I need a tow to my dealer...." Might work.;)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
I originally posted
...My dealer also speculated that MINIUSA may consider setting up some sort of “service oasis’s” (my description) in some parts of the US to help repair stranded MINIs where there are no MINI dealers nearby. These places would not sell cars, just service them, he suggested....
You know, if there is any reality at all to this concept of a 'service oasis' the only logical place for them to be would be using the skilled work force, parts network, and service facilities already in operation at BMW dealers. Nothing else makes sense.

So is this ‘oasis’ stuff just a silly pipe dream that can’t come true?

Or does BMW really need a wake up call to realize that just 70 MINI dealers can’t possibly cut it for the entire US?

I think that MINI servicing should be available at least some of the of the 280 BMW dealers in the US who won’t sell MINIs. I’m sure some of them don’t want to become MINI dealers but would love to get the extra service work MINIs could provide.

HEY MINIUSA, SORT THIS OUT!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Cape Cod MINI said:
....How about this? Based on MINI's quote of "roadside assistance 24 hours a day, etc...", every time you reach a service interval call the RoadSide Assistance number, "Hi, this is Bruce, my MINI won't start I need a tow to my dealer...." Might work.;)
Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind (several times). :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey everyone. I am sure that there will be other ways of servicing our minis. You don't always have to go to a local dealer to get your car fixed. Dealers can even fix other makes of cars. I have seen VWs and stuff in a General Motors garage getting fixed. There are such things as spare parts which could be ordered by a garage. I am sure people will have things like Alternators or other smaller things which are either in the shop or could be ordered and shipped over in a couple hours. Perhaps they wouldn't have major parts but I am sure it will be like any other car in the world. People should just relax about all this lack of servicing areas. I am not really concerned if you ask me.

Just my 2 cents or .7 pence if you are from the UK!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Jayomatic said:
Hey everyone. I am sure that there will be other ways of servicing our minis. You don't always have to go to a local dealer to get your car fixed. Dealers can even fix other makes of cars. I have seen VWs and stuff in a General Motors garage getting fixed. ....
Come on, there is no way you'd buy a new VW Golf and take it to a Chevy dealer when it is still under VW's warranty. (The Chevy dealer could change out the alternator, but would have no way to plug into the VW's diagnostic port to evaluate the car.) Remember that in the US, MINIs will get a nice 4 year warranty (and probably need it :)) as well as "free" maintenance for 3 years. I would guess Canada will have something similar.

Attachments

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
The "free" scheduled maintenance and warranty may be just the item that brings BMW/MINI down. The way things have been going they are going to lose countless $MILLIONS$ on repairs of faults. They will be in receivership in three years, file for bankruptcy and our MINI's will then be instant classics worth thousands more!

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Wants (that may be construed as needs):

1) That armrest (thank you, Moke!)
2) 5-spoke Daytona wheels available on the S
3) Leather/cloth combo sport seat option
4) Chrome grille option for the S
5) Trailer hitch accessory for the S
6) Limited Slip Diff
7) I'd like to see full customization in the options / packages. (ie, I want the Sport Package, but DO NOT want the 17" wheels and bonnet stripes, the Cold Weather package, but DO NOT want the rain sensing wipers and auto dimming mirror. Of course this may be premature and will shake out when we can actually spec our cars, I just hope they keep some lattitude.

As for the concerns about 70 USA dealers, let me raise one big plus I see in all this, the exclusivity. You will most deinitely not be driving an Acura, VW, Mercedes, or even BMW.
Something I'm really looking forward to is the cache the car will carry. Seeing one won't be as simple as stopping in the nearest BMW dealership-- if someone wants a gander their only choice will be to follow us or take the time to find a dealer. And I see little liklihood BMW will get 20,000 units shipped in '02.
Face it, we're going to be rock stars for the first year at least. Call it juvenile, silly and irrelevant if you want, but its going to feel good everytime you see them looking.

BMW mechanics are skilled and well trained. If they can service M3s, 540's, X5's, etc, surely their competence extends to the MINI w/ the help of proper parts and manuals, and maybe a few specialized tools. I have confidance that the minds behind the car are aware of these obstacles and their business plan will allow integration of non-MINI BMW service if necessary.

·
Registered
930 Posts
NO quality issues and.......

1) The 5 star Daytona 16" wheels for the Cooper S
2) The chrome grill option for the Cooper S
3) The Union Jack roof option
4) Why do I have pay extra for metallic paint.....isn't that like a 70s thing?

·
Loves MINI2
855 Posts
RedShift42 "Face it, we're going to be rock stars for the first year at least. Call it juvenile, silly and irrelevant if you want, but its going to feel good everytime you see them looking."
THOSE ARE MY WORDS EXACTLY! That will be a warm and fuzzy feeling when everyone is lookin' at you because you are in the coolest car in the world!

Jayomatic - BruceK has a point why would you take your MINI to somewhere other than BMW or MINI to get serviced? Why pay for the service when you can get it done for free?

:)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah. I understand everyones point. I know for sure I wouldnt want to take my mini anywhere but the mini dealer to have it serviced. I was just thinking about emergency situations like out in the middle of the country and no mini dealers around. Hopefully we all will never have to have an emergency far from the mini dealer. I know that I wouldn't trust some General Motors garage fixing my mini. They would probably spend the first 2 hours looking at it and charging me an extra 2 hours for labour!

:) haha. I am sure all the diagnostic equipment attachments for the mini are the same as all the other BMW's. It wouldn't make any sense for it not to be.

:p

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Jayomatic said:
....I am sure all the diagnostic equipment attachments for the mini are the same as all the other BMW's. It wouldn't make any sense for it not to be.
Dianostics are the same. And so are the parts numbering schemes. I'm told from a servicing standpoint it is really just another BMW. All the more reason to free up some BMW-only dealers to provide backup service for the MINI.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Need: A pretty much loaded car.
Wants: It to be inexpensive enough so I won't have to
go looking at the new BMW 330Ci Club Sport.
I won't spend 28,000+ for a Mini when 7,000 more will get a "cheap" version of an M3.
Plus: Can anyone guess what the depreciation of the Mini will be... I'm trying to figure out lease pricing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wouldn't be as concerned about finding a place to fix the car,as I would be about getting parts for the car.Because BMW came into the MINI program somewhat late in the game,most of the parts on the car are unique to the MINI.Until BMW really gets the MINI programme up to speed,you can be sure that alot of parts will not be in stock.Hopefully BMW will allow non MINI dealerships to order parts if you supply a valid part number.I'm lucky in one respect,living in the Philadelphia area,I have three MINI dealerships less than a two hour drive from where I live.

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To the top again.:D

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
How about:
1) No rattles/buzzes/noises please!
2) Trailer hitch for S
3) Homelink system
4) 2nd key w/remote locking feature for spouse/partner or trusted girlfriend/boyfriend
5) Drop the valet key (who in their right mind would let a valet drive his MINI?)

Chip H.

·
Registered
31 Posts
MINI wants

Hey Chip....re: that Homelink system....perhaps you could modify and install the Homelink kit available for the Z3 or the E46 if it's not available specifically for the MINI.

btw - do you have your order in at Flow or at the Spartanburg dealer ?? What is your approx number in line ?

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
MINI wants

Since I posted that, I've had a thought -- if you get the CWP, will the heated windshield block a garage door transmitter's signal? If BMW built the windshield like other similar ones, there should be a couple of open spots (for an EZPass and a radar detector). Don't know if they left a spot for a garage door opener clipped to a visor.

Plan "B" would be to hack apart one of my transmitters and wire it up to a spare toggle switch. The trick would be finding a weather-protected place to put the remains of the transmitter behind the grille or under the hood.

Chip H.

BTW: My order is in at Flow in Winston-Salem. Second choice would have been Charleston, SC (my sister lives there, so I could have had a place to stay during service visits). No idea what my number is, they've told me "4-5 months are ahead of you".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts