MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...how's this gonna work? I'm #1 at BMWTOWSON here in Maryland for an "S". I can have the first spec car, or place the first order. As I understand so far, spec cars will be in in May, but orders can be placed in March; maybe even February. If that's correct, will I know what the "spec" is for the first dealer cars before I place (or don't place) an order? Am I missing something here?

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
This is the same confusion I am in over here in the UK, although I am a lowly number two on my local dealer list. ;)

Thing is, I'm a fussy bugger, so MUST drive the car before I firm up the order....

I can wait to get the car I want..... or can afford (gotta save those pennies!)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:
This is the same confusion I am in over here in the UK, although I am a lowly number two on my local dealer list. ;)

Thing is, I'm a fussy bugger, so MUST drive the car before I firm up the order....

I can wait to get the car I want..... or can afford (gotta save those pennies!)
I also am in a similar position. However, in order to alleviate some of the anguish I decided to get a Cooper for now. That way I can wait until the demo cars arrive before I make my order. I could never order a car that I have never driven, not for the amount of money we will be talking.

LMB :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
kshapiro said:
So...how's this gonna work? I'm #1 at BMWTOWSON here in Maryland for an "S". I can have the first spec car, or place the first order. As I understand so far, spec cars will be in in May, but orders can be placed in March; maybe even February. If that's correct, will I know what the "spec" is for the first dealer cars before I place (or don't place) an order? Am I missing something here?
I would also like to know as am at the top of the list here in Richmond.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
I was under the impression that US dealers would be getting a demo 'S' in March/April and pre-spec'd models would arrive in May. I have no idea when you can order one "spec'd your way" or how long it takes from order to delivery.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
My dealer has told me that that 10 standard Coopers, pre-spec'd by BMW, will arrive in late March. These are separate from showroom/demo models and will go, in order, to interested buyers on the Cooper list. At that time, late March, if a person turns down one of the pre-spec'd cars, he may place an order for a standard Cooper (non-S).

For the Cooper S, I've been told the same process will apply but it will happen in late May - with 10 pre-spec'd Cooper S models arriving then. These S models will go, in order, to interested buyers on the Cooper list, or S orders may be placed begining then.

So the first orders for standard Cooper models will be taken in late March and the first orders for Cooper S models will not be made until late May --- IF what I've been told is accurate and doesn't change over the next 5 months.

Delivery time for cars ordered was said to be (vaguely) as 1 to 2 months.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The way it works here is that the first customers get the choice between taking a pre-spec car or ordering their own. The order to delivery lead time is about 2 months for BMW, so a february order should arrive in April/May. This means if you wait to drive a cooper in March and then place your own order, you will not get the car til May/June. This should not be the problem for the S, as we are <U>supposed</U> to get an S with our Coopers for demo in March. We have not recieved a date for the announcement of the pre-spec cars yet, but should recieve the info within the month because tehy will have to build them in January to be here for demo in March.

This basically means that those of you who HAVE to drive the car first will most likely have to slip down the list a few spots to wait for the drive, while those who don't care or have seen the Cooper elsewhere will take the first. We are giving the first customers in line the right of first refusal, meaning they can take a pre-spec, or custom order their own.

If someone does order a car, and then drives our demo before their car arrives and changes their mind, then I'll go down the list until I find a taker. Sounds fair from this end, but if you have any other ideas let me know.

Also, with the intro tommorrow at the Detroit show, things should get more exciting around here!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
TimR said:
...The order to delivery lead time is about 2 months for BMW, so a february order should arrive in April/May. ....
Tim, please clarify. You expect in February to know what your pre-spec'd Coopers will be so your customers (low on the list) can make a decision between taking a pre-spec'd Cooper or placing an order at that time, right?

Will you also take Cooper S orders at that time, or will they be delayed until you know what your pre-spec'd Cooper S models will be?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't think I will get the S info at the same time, but since they are to start arriving in June/July for customer ordered cars, we should have it by april/may at the latest.

Keep in mind, this is conjecture based on current experience and knowledge, subject to change with the weather.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Change of mind

Tim,

What if I place an order for a specced car, then drive a demo, and then change my mind on options. I know w/ BMW's there is a certain period where orders can still be changed.
Any idea what it might be like w/ a MINI.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's supposed to be the same. It will depend on when you order vs when you drive, as we usually only have a week or two for changes.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I'm getting excited now that it's the new year and delivery times are measured in months and not "next year". I just wonder what goes through the minds of the folks that are deciding what the pre-speced cars will look like. What's their rationale for selecting options and colors? I'd love to sit down with them for an hour or two and discuss their methodology....

JP

·
Registered
62 Posts
They asked for input from some of the dealers, so we gave them infor from our customers. I don't know yet how they will decide.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
jpfahrstar said:
I'm getting excited now that it's the new year and delivery times are measured in months and not "next year". I just wonder what goes through the minds of the folks that are deciding what the pre-speced cars will look like. What's their rationale for selecting options and colors? I'd love to sit down with them for an hour or two and discuss their methodology....
I'd sure like to know too. When I first heard of the pre-spec'd cars I thought they were going to be mostly showroom and demo models - so there would be a heavy emphasis on throwing as many options on them as would stick. :( :mad:

But now that I understand the showroom and demo MINIs are a separate bunch of cars from the pre-spec'd ones, I am very hopeful there will be a variety of colors and options - including cars with little or no options fitted (my ideal Cooper S). Otherwise, I'll be forced to order (which means I get exactly what I want, but I am just so sick of waiting and waiting).

Hey TimR, how does BMW normally handle this?

-------------

Yet another example of typing a post only to be eclipsed by the answer before I even posted the question (above) :( .

·
Registered
62 Posts
The computers are set up to default a car to a pre-set percentage of options/equipment/colors. Of course, they have had years of experience and sales to fine tune the system. We gave our suggestions to them last week, so we'll see what happens. From what I've seen there will most likely be an equal representation of the Premium and Sport packages, and a few base cars as well. We'll let you know as soon as it's available.

·
Registered
930 Posts
TimR said:
The computers are set up to default a car to a pre-set percentage of options/equipment/colors. Of course, they have had years of experience and sales to fine tune the system. We gave our suggestions to them last week, so we'll see what happens. From what I've seen there will most likely be an equal representation of the Premium and Sport packages, and a few base cars as well. We'll let you know as soon as it's available.
Tim,

Will you be able to add any options to the few base cars? I'm with BruceK and want a Cooper S with little or no options except for maybe one or 2 things. Can we make any upgrades to the pre-spec'd cars if they are close to but not exactly what we are looking for? We might be able to get a car faster this way.

(Sorry if this is a stupid question)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts