MINI Cooper Forum banner

US-spec sport options (seats, suspension, etc)...

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Garfield 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've be spec'ing my US-spec Cooper S on the miniusa build your own section and am a bit confused as to what the sport package includes and what you can't get without choosing it. I don't mind the 17" wheels, but the 16" v-spoke looks a bit nicer in person, so I really don't want to fork over an extra ~$600 for the 17's. I also don't really want DSC, as I'd just be turning it off all of the time anyway. These are both things that are included in the sport package. Now, I can get what I want and save some money in the process by not opting for the sport package and instead choosing the Xenons, bonnet stripes, and fog lamps seperately. Some of the options that I really want, however don't seem to be individually selectable. Specifically the sport plus suspension, sport seats, and rear spoiler. In the pictures, however, it looks like you get the sport seats no matter what. Does anyone know if this is true? I could live with the regular sport suspension (you can always upgrade) and no roof spoiler, but I'd be hating life if I got stuck with the standard seats. I do a lot of track days and need the extra support during hard cornering.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to provide!

Cheers,

Kevin

See less See more
#2 ·
SS+, Sports Seats and rear spoiler are standard S items.
Is DSC what we get instead of limited slip? I've read so many road tests where the first thing the tester reaches for is the traction control "off" switch; I'm wondering if I want it. On the other hand, if DSC is traction control, I don't see how to live without it. My front-driver can't put 91hp to the ground in wet weather, so how will the S fare without some slip-limiting device?

#3 ·
Kevin_B said:
.... Some of the options that I really want, however don't seem to be individually selectable. Specifically the sport plus suspension, sport seats, and rear spoiler. In the pictures, however, it looks like you get the sport seats no matter what. Does anyone know if this is true? I could live with the regular sport suspension (you can always upgrade) and no roof spoiler, but I'd be hating life if I got stuck with the standard seats. I do a lot of track days and need the extra support during hard cornering....
Kevin,

The Cooper S comes standard with the things you want (even though they appear listed as part of the Sport Package):

• Sport Suspension Plus (standard on the S, an option on the standard Cooper)

Roof Spoiler (standard on the S, but the S style spoiler is not avaiable on the standard Cooper)

Sport Seats (standard on the S, an option on the standard Cooper)

As for DSC, I want to get for its intended purpose - to help save my butt in an extreme emergency maneuver when I suddenly might need help challenging the laws of physics and vehicle dynamics. :) DSC can always be switched off for track time.

#4 ·
RickB said:

Is DSC what we get instead of limited slip? I've read so many road tests where the first thing the tester reaches for is the traction control "off" switch; I'm wondering if I want it. On the other hand, if DSC is traction control, I don't see how to live without it. My front-driver can't put 91hp to the ground in wet weather, so how will the S fare without some slip-limiting device?
Cool, that's what I was hoping for. Its odd that it lists them as features of the sport package on the web site.:confused:

As for DSC, its an advanced traction control that can brake at each corner individually to automatically minimize oversteer and understeer. The Cooper S comes standard with ASC, which just acts to help keep traction down to the front wheels on acceleration. While these systems are nice for the average Joe and can sometimes even outperform an experienced driver in an emergency situation, they're very conservative. They're there to keep you safe, not to let you have fun. Once you've learned a basic level of car control, DSC and ASC become too intrusive and do nothing but slow you down, especially when you're on the limit at a race track. Not only do they slow you down, but they also ruin any possibility of 4-wheel drifting fun and make effective throttle steer next to impossible. Oh well, guess that why they let you turn it off, eh? :D

Cheers,

Kevin

#5 ·
RickB said:
The 'S' comes standard with all season traction control, which is the same as the ASC+T option in the Chili Pack in the UK. There is a toggle switch for disabling this. DSC adds "yaw" control on top of ASC+T. Somewhere there's a post which has links to explanations of what each of these do.

#6 ·
Kevin,

I think we're thinking along the same lines
-Xenons for $500 and fogs for $140
-The bonnet stripes i'm still waivering on

I like the V-spokes so why get the 17's, and I don't want DSC. I already turn off the ASR (traction control) on my Jetta VR6. I'm not a big fan of electronic involvement/interference.

It looks like initially the Sport Package won't include Xenons (but will still cost $1250 :rolleyes: ). I believe the Xenons aren't part of the build until May/June.

#7 ·
Colorado "S" said:
I think we're thinking along the same lines
-Xenons for $500 and fogs for $140
-The bonnet stripes i'm still waivering on

I like the V-spokes so why get the 17's, and I don't want DSC. I already turn off the ASR (traction control) on my Jetta VR6. I'm not a big fan of electronic involvement/interference.

It looks like initially the Sport Package won't include Xenons (but will still cost $1250 :rolleyes: ). I believe the Xenons aren't part of the build until May/June.
Yeah, that route seems like the best way to go for me. Besides, how are you supposed to learn how to drive if your car won't let you screw up? ;)

That really blows about the Xenons, which I really want on my car. Looks like I may not have my car until June or July after all, damn it! After purchasing my M Coupe, I swore that I'd never buy another car without Xenons. Not that the Coupe's halogens are bad or anything, but compared to Xenons they still make me feel like I'm driving by candle light. *sigh*

Cheers,

Kevin

#8 ·
Colorado S, don't forget that the standard 16" tires on the S are all-season, and not performance rubber. In Colorado, you might really want the M+S tires, but in most parts of the country, you're giving up a lot of performance by not getting the 17" wheel/hi-perf tire combo (or hoping that the 16" wheel/hi-perf Cooper option will be extended to the S).

#9 ·
I wouldn't trust the Xenon information too much............I've heard they will be available from day one, but don't hold me to it.

Same thing for me - Xenons, MFW wheel, no DSC, possibly fog lamps.

#10 ·
RickB said:
Colorado S, don't forget that the standard 16" tires on the S are all-season, and not performance rubber. In Colorado, you might really want the M+S tires, but in most parts of the country, you're giving up a lot of performance by not getting the 17" wheel/hi-perf tire combo (or hoping that the 16" wheel/hi-perf Cooper option will be extended to the S).
Regardless, I'm not a fan of run-flats. Stiff sidewalls really make for worse handling and less predictability on the limit. As soon as the car comes in, I'm throwing on a set of Toyo T1-S or Kumho V712s for street rubber. Stock tires always suck, "performance" or not. I'll also be ponying up for a set of SSR Competitions and Kumho Ecsta V700 R compounds for the track. Should be FUN!

Cheers,

Kevin

#11 ·
Whoa!

Folks, where are you getting this stuff about no Xenons???
It's been on the new website since it came up. They're listed there and have always been part of the Sport Package on the "S". They're NOT in the Sport Package on the Cooper though, and never have been.

Not getting the Sport Package myself. You're not getting an extra $600 for a 25lb 17" rim from me. At minimum I'll race on the 16's and buy lighter 17's for the same price for the road. But, I'll probably still run a 16 for weight purposes.
Oh yeah, the run flats will be dumped immediately for some Falken Azenis or Kumho MX's and a can of "fix-a-flat".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.