MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question, why in the UK do we have to wait longer than the US for delivery of our cars :confused:
I read UK threads and the date is always 4-5 months away, the US seems to be 2-3 months and that includes the shipping over on a boat.

WHY :confused: :confused: :confused:

I want my MINI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

·
Mini in Maine
556 Posts
Put my down payment...

in late sept. Got my production number in early Oct. Had my mini by the 4th of Nov. Great so far! :D

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
I'm not actually sure that the UK waits longer, it just seems people in the UK often times choose to wait longer, because there's issues about waiting until the 1st of the next month to get registered, or for the new #s to come out. Or finally, they have dealers who are just too busy to place an order immedietly, and thus you need to wait until they have a slot available.

In general, most dealers in the US (except the west coast) will take orders immedietly, and that means a car gets made and should be delivered in 2 to 3 months. Given that it takes about a month for the car to come across the ocean and get preped and delivered to a dealer, the US has it worse for timing.

Maybe its just a case of finding a dealer that can take orders immedietly. There's certainly some dealers in California who won't take your order for many months, but that's an exception to the rule.

·
off out....
19,946 Posts
In the UK some people seem to wait longer than others due to build slot allocations to dealers, if they fill these up quick you have to wait longer. You could go to another dealer at the same time & get a quicker delivery, cos they haven't filled their slots so quickly ;)

True for me, after asking 2 dealers only 3 miles apart the delivery dates were 8 weeks & 13 weeks...

·
Go West young MINI!
111 Posts
I think it depends on the dealership. My sense is that they have quotas. I looked into ordering the MCS with three dealers within driving distance of where I live. One had a 10-12 month wait, the two others a 3 month wait. I should mention that the later two were chargin a $2500-$2600 markup for the MCS. Demand and supply at work...

I am willing to split the difference. In the end I ordered from a dealer on the East Coast (Classic MINI in Mentor, OH) and am paying to have it shipped to California. I am paying MSRP plus $1200 for shipping and had a 3 month wait.
LPM

·
Registered
126 Posts
I went down to my dealer (Mini of Towson, MD) on September 4th and put in an order for a car. Even with the screw up with the car (see my other thread, don't have the link handy) I still got my car delivered on October 30th. My MA estimated November which was beat by a day.
But then again I am east coast so the demand probably isn't as high as west coast. Although the day I took delivery of my car they had another 13 people with appointments that day for deliveries too. The lot was the most packed I've ever seen it and they actually had some used/pre-owned ones up for grabs too). This one girl drove from somewhere in VA (I think she said something like 90 minutes away) because the lot was the only one in the area that had some automatics ready to go.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Ordered my '05 MCS on September 2, drove it home on Oct.14. Six weeks.

I was not disappointed, considering the really long waits some folks have.

·
Benny the Yellow Cab
347 Posts
vagt6 said:
Ordered my '05 MCS on September 2, drove it home on Oct.14. Six weeks.

I was not disappointed, considering the really long waits some folks have.
Hmmm...doesn't allow much time for changing one's mind about their spec does it?

Peter..trying to put positive spin on a 13 to 14 week wait...in Denver

·
MINI2 New-ish
29 Posts
I put a deposit down in September and was lucky (I felt) to get a slot for an MCC in October. It went to "En Route" in the Owners Lounge at the end of October - so that's 2 weeks to build and 2 weeks waiting on the docks to be loaded on a ship.

Now it is on the long 3-week journey through the Panama Canal to California. Then another week before it gets up to the Northwestern US.....

I don't expect I'll get the "your new baby has arrived" call until mid December.

JR

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are other posts about this. There are quotas, or more accurately allotments. Every dealer is alloted a certain number of cars from each production month. The demand for Minis is apparently higher in the UK, so the dealer allotments get used up faster.

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
Haha, stop your whinging you lot, I had to wait 15 weeks from date of order for my car to get to Australia. :eek:

Then, after the "Kangaroo incident", just three weeks into MINIdom, I had to wait another 7 1/2 weeks for my car to get repaired. :(

Man, if I was in the States I coulda just about had a new car specced, built and delivered in the time it took me to get one measly wiring harness! :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts