MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright..correct my perceptions here if you can, but didn't the new Nissan 350Z come onto the developmental scene AFTER our beloved MINI? Anyway, in the Baltimore Sun newspaper this morning, the local Nissan dealers are taking orders for the 350Z at MSRP. They have color / interior combinations, information about what can / cannot be ordered, delivery information, etc. We can't even get verification on when our cars will be in, when we can spec an order, etc. And our cars are supposed to be "in country" before the Nissan 350Z. How come Nissan (on the verge of collapse only a few months ago) can handle introducing their new car Soooo much better (more customer friendly) than BMW...the successful giant?

·
Enjoying Married Life!
501 Posts
I'd hazard a guess and say that it's got something to do with the fact that although the 350Z is a new model, Nissan have been launching cars for many years.

MINI, although an arm of BMW, is an entirely new brand and so there are more complications other than the final specifictions and prices. Things like: showrooms need to be built, staff need to be recruited etc etc.

Also, (in the UK anyway) the final price had to be judged very carefully by BMW as afterall this is the home of Mini.

Just an idea anyway. It could also be that Nissan are typically more efficient as the Japanese tend to be.

Would be interesting to see how many teething problems the Nissan has in the first few months of launch if it has been rushed out...?

nc

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ken you cannot compare the two. MINI is a new brand, not just a new model. I dare say when they start accepting orders you will be able to spec color, options etc. I am tired of hearing all the moaning about every little defect. I have never bought the first year of any new model, just for this reason. However I am breaking this rule for the MINI, if there are problems I will deal with it. :cool:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Have you seen the new Nissan Skyline :confused: :D :D
The price is a bit of a difference between a MINI though :)

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jwilk said:
Ken you cannot compare the two. MINI is a new brand, not just a new model. I dare say when they start accepting orders you will be able to spec color, options etc. I am tired of hearing all the moaning about every little defect. I have never bought the first year of any new model, just for this reason. However I am breaking this rule for the MINI, if there are problems I will deal with it. :cool:

I don't believe I said anything about defects did I ? I was talking about the respective companies willingness / ability to give information. The MINI is due to be upon our shores before the 350Z, yet we still can't get information about when orders can be placed (Nissan is accepting them now), which interior colors will be available with which exterior colors, etc. It just seems to me that BMW / MINI either should be able to provide more information and won't, or is unable to...which is even scarier. If MINI were some start-up company it might make more sense, but this is not Panoz, or Saleen or even Shelby..it's mega giant BMW. Supposedly I'm going to be driving my "S" around in approx. 17 weeks, yet it still feels like a friggin mystery car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It just makes the car more of a mystery.:mad:
I think it's pathetic that the dealers don't have the brochures that were given out at the LA show. I think everyone on a list at a dealer should be given one of these.
The only problem is... that these brochures are probably wrong!:D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Nissan isn't the only one. For the past few days, I have seen TV ads for the new "VW Turbo S." It is a New Beetle with a 180HP engine and the ad implies that it is "fast." Gee, I wonder why they call it an "S." Could it be a slap against the Cooper S? I have no doubt the Cooper would handle better in the "twisties," but around here the leadfoot crowd is into straight line speed runs.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
It's a good question. And yes I would have to agree that BMW are verging on what could be described as a cynical marketing excercise with the MINI, particularly here in oz.

They KNEW there would be massive demand for the car, so geared their marketing with that in mind. What I would like to see is BMW's Management in charge of the technical aspects of the car sacked forthwith, and replaced with their marketing people. I'm sure by all accounts they would do a better job.

sorry to veer off subject a bit.....

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts