MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, who's seriously interested in getting one of the roof options (Checkerboard, Union Jack, Stars and Stripes) or even having a custom roof?

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks this is a great idea (Union Jack that is) and evocative of the classic Mini!

·
Registered
350 Posts
No Union Jack or checkerboard for me. So few people around here have ever seen a classic Mini, I think the reference would be completely lost, rather than evocative. No Stars and Stripes either, I love my country but I'm not into jingoism.

I wonder if some kind of trompe l'oeil painting would work. Maybe some leggy supermodel in the passenger seat, or Austin Powers in the hot tub with Lotta Fagina. It would work better with the windows tinted, so you could only "see" in from above. Also there's that color-changing ink that they use on currency to foil counterfeiters. The roof would look white from almost all angles, but if you looked just right, you could see...

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've toyed with the checkerboard roof idea. My concern is that it wouldn't last. It would fade, peel off, etc. What's the record on expansive auto decals? I've seen some Trans Ams with pretty ragged-looking screaming chickens.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My vinyl racing stripes have lasted for 5 years without problems other than scratches from rocks. I assume these decals will be made of vinyl.:cool:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I like all of them but I don't think I would go through with putting one on my car. The Union Jack is the best IMHO because of the Mini history. However, it's a little strange to be an American in a German car with a British flag. :D

The checkerboard is kind of fun too but in the US it might look like a pair of Vans skate sneakers!

Hey, if you like it then go for it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Drakken said:
I like all of them but I don't think I would go through with putting one on my car. The Union Jack is the best IMHO because of the Mini history. However, it's a little strange to be an American in a German car with a British flag. :D

The checkerboard is kind of fun too but in the US it might look like a pair of Vans skate sneakers!

Hey, if you like it then go for it.
Actually it's a British car with German engineering, I think the stars and stripes looks quite good.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Thinking about it. Union Jack, Checkered Board, or a custom. I have vinyl stripes right now and they are holding up fine except as noted the occasional rock chip. I am working with a shop right now that specializes with this sort of thing (he has actually seen in person the new MINI). Mainly talking to him what to do with the sunroof on a white top.

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
GoMiniGo said:
Mainly talking to him what to do with the sunroof on a white top.
I am hopefully picking up my replacement MINI on March 6th. It is Black, white roof and wheels etc... and sunroof. I'm also toying with the idea of a transparent vinyl graphic for the roof (either all white/chequerboard I think). If the idea gets any further I'll let you know. Also if you need pics of the white roof with sunroof in(for photoshopping etc.), let me know, I'll do my best as soon as I get it. That said, the white roof with sunroof looks cool anyway IMO.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Thanks cmt. I will keep you posted. Right now I was going to copy from the miniusa website. But they do not have a great picture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts