MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Has anyone successfully used a hard disk drive with the built in USB port on their car. I have tried a few like Western Digital passport series and there does not seem to be enough power to spin up the drive.

I have bought the usb cable from mini for my iPod however this uses the AUX socket for the audio which in my opinion the quality is not as good ad playing mp3's directly from the usb port. Currently I have an 8Gb memory stick plugged in at the moment but seeing as I have nearly 3x that amount it would be good to be able to use a hard drive and hide it away in the top cubby.

My one little gripe is that the usb socket is in the wrong place and should have been put in the top little secret cubby.

Ideas and advice welcome.

WD

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Totally agree they have put the ports in the wrong place, the reason your hard disks don't work is that they are high powered drives, and the port is only low power. One way to do it, which is a bit messy, is to get a hard drive with a seperate power connection and plug this into the power socket in the car, although it is a bit of an overkill.
Personally I think the iPod cable, in terms of quality is perfectly fine, but a bit fiddly to find songs and artists if you have a lot of them.

Troy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts