MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my friends,
I have the USB interface on my MCS, but the car only ever recognises about half of my 12Gb or so of music, whether I use an ipod or USB stick... it just puts the rest of my songs under 'various albums' and doesn't read the artist/album info (which is all present and correct).

I can still play my music using the folder view so long as I use a USB stick (if I use the ipod the folder view is unusable because the ipod uses its own random-looking file names), but I would obviously prefer to be able to browse everything properly.

Any ideas?

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Are you guys using the BMW Y-cable for the iPod or the standard one that came with the iPod? That could solve the iPod issues, as for the USB stick, maybe try resetting the info on the car, because it may recognise the USB stick and not pick up changed data.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Troy, not using the Y-cable, just the standard one. To be honest I'm more interested in the USB problems as this is what I prefer to use, I just tested it out with an ipod once I noticed the initial problem.

You may be right about resetting the data, it seems to be the same songs not recognised on both the ipod and USB stick. Any idea how I reset the info on the car without wiping all my settings, etc?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is a post over on NAM that should answer most of your questions.

North American Motoring - View Single Post - USB HARD DRIVES and USB KEYS

If you have any other questions after reading this post THen feel free to ask them over on NAM and I will answer them for you.

i do not hang out over here much as this site really hates my computer and i have lots of trouble accessing it so it is easier to get me over on NAM

Schatzy

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
I'm not sure about the conventional way to do it, but this could work. Here goes, try completely erasing the USB stick, and then reformat it to FAT32 (don't opt for a quick format). Then reload all of your music onto the stick and plug it into the car again and see it it makes a difference. One way to tell if it is picking up changes on the USB stick is to change the name of it and see it the car recognises the new name. So basically the idea is you fool the car into thinking it is a new stick is hasn't had before and it then reloads everything.
Keep us posted as to how this works out for you.

Troy

·
Registered
565 Posts
also is there a limit to the characters for the song title because with long song names it appends 0000 at the end like

"this is a very long song titl0000000"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Troy,
I've tried doing that and every connotation of wiping/name-changing/re-formating you could imagine! I even tried using brand new USB sticks, only for the car to not recognise exactly the same songs.

In the end the only thing that worked was... giving up and just buying the BMW y-cable - now it works amazingly well provided I use my ipod. I think the problem was just that I'd filled up the car's tag remembering ability. Quite disappointed that it happened so soon, but at least it works now.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
I doubt that's your problem as I have 10,000 songs on my iPod, plus a 16gb USB which is near enough full, and use a nano from time to time with about 5000 songs on it and it works fine! It could be the song titles, formats of music, or even that there could be a character in the name somewhere that isn't recognised by the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
checked all that Troy, nothing unusual in any of the information not recognised by the car. Sometimes a song that was previously correctly identified would be 'forgotten' about a bit later by the car, despite nothing changing. Pretty infuriating, but now I have the y cable it all works fine. Just a shame I couldn't get it working without it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Guys, me having problems with USB stick, had all my songs on it I have a album named All Various Songs this contains about 150 song. up to about a week ago everything was fine, then I added another album to the stick, since then the all various songs album only recognized about half the songs, so I renamed the album and all the songs in it, now it know all the songs are there when playing album from the time I put it back in the car, but starts at the first song every time I start the car, and when I go thought the Artist list half the Artists from that album are not listed even though it is playing one of them.
It is doing my head in as anyone any ideas what it could be before I go back to the dealer.
Cheers Pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sounds like the same problem I had Pete - the only solution I could find was getting the y-cable from BMW and plugging it into an ipod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts