MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking at 2 used minis and would appreciate peoples views;

1.) 03 Cooper S, Black, Full Leather, Panoramic Sunroof, Tape Deck, CD Prep, 41K. TLC XL chucked in for free. £9995

2.) 03 Cooper S, Dark Silver, 1/2 Leather, Single CD Player, Auto Air Con, JCW Kit retro fitted. 50K £9995

I prefer the black cars spec generally, however the JCW kit could swing my opinion. The dealer has told me that this was retrofitted and produces 190bhp? I thought the kit produced 210bhp?? All all of the JCW kits installed by MINI or JCW and should there be a certificate to prove it?

Is the performance increase really worth accepting a lower spec car for? I'm switcning from a BMW M3 evo, and would probably want to upgrade power at some point. With the 1/2 leather is it easy to switch the front and rear seats for full leather at a later point?

I test drove the black car today and noticed that with the sunroof open the car in so noisy, almost as much as my convertible BMW. Has anybody else noticed this and how annoying is it, or do you get used to it?

Have there been any issues with sunroofs leaking etc?

Any help on this would be much appreciated from a new MINI2 member and soon to be MINI owner!

Thanks!

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
I prefer the black cars spec generally, however the JCW kit could swing my opinion. The dealer has told me that this was retrofitted and produces 190bhp? I thought the kit produced 210bhp?? All all of the JCW kits installed by MINI or JCW and should there be a certificate to prove it?
The original JCW Engine Tuning Kit was rated at 200bhp. The 210bhp Kit wasn't available until late 2004, at which time early Kits could be upgraded by adding the air-box and larger fuel injectors with associated ECU remap.

Certificates were included with dealer installed JCW Kits.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do either of them come with the Chili pack?

I'm a bit biased towards the Dark Silver with climate control because those where the specs I was looking for :) My last few cars have all had climate control and I would miss it.

The price puts me off a little, I (luckily) paid £9K for a (facelifted) 54 plate MCS in Dark Silver, no Chili pack but came with climate control, multi-function steering wheel, HK speakers, 1/2 leather, 43k miles on the cloak. And the £1K I've saved means I can get it tuned to around 220bhp by the likes of GTT, Lohen, 1320autos etc.

In your case, I would probably go for the black one if it has a closer spec to what you're looking for and then get it tuned by a reputable MINI tuner.

Might also be worthing finding out if the JCW tuning included anything else like the suspension and brake upgrades because such upgrades can end up costing quite a bit later.

I've seen a couple of guides on switching the front seats and in general it looks pretty easy and straight forward. Looking in the classifieds, eBay and such, you can probably get a decent second hand pair of full leather ones for around £150-250 ish. Word of warning though, the quality of the leather they use for these MINI seats seem poor. They seem to sag and crease quite badly and even newish ones that have been around for a year or so look like they're 3-5 years old. Some people have had theirs re-trimmed with better leather and are very pleased with the results. Personally, I'm looking to replace mine with a pair or Recaros (e.g. Style or Sportster CS) at a later date.

Don't know about the sunroof sorry. I decided that I would very rarely use it and decided to find a MINI without one for the weight-saving. I'm sure the other-half would have appreciated having one though because she likes that kind of thing.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Sunroofs on the Minis are noisy unfortunately - just the nature of the design (coming out above the roof rather than into it). At anything over 55mph mine gets annoyingly noisy... (It's never leaked though)

As for which car - depends upon what value you put on the JCW kit. The dealer may be referring to the fact that despite being rated at 210bhp, the JCW conversion only tends to show 190bhp on a rolling road. But then again, perhaps not - many dealers are morons. I'd check which JCW kit has been fitted and give it a test-drive. Which one gets you more excited? :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
personally both seem pricey.

Just to put it in to context, one main dealer is selling a sparkling silver 2007 R56 Cooper S for 11700.........

Where about do you live and what colours are you after, how much did you want to spend, give me 20 minutes i'll have a couple for you to look at

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having been looking for the last 2 months both of these cars sound a little on the pricey side.

I would go for the grey one but then i am slightly biased.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts