MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part in question ...

Anyone got this, worth while addition, or does it just look weird and do nothing ???

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've got it and yes it is worthwile :)

Anything that improves airflow into that tiny letterbox opening in the hood is a godsend and you'd be surprised just how much cooler the car runs in high speed runs with the venuri on.

Henry

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Henry ... I am assuming it is ABS plastic that could be colour coded to blend in alittle better if need be ??

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
LordNikon said:
Thanks Henry ... I am assuming it is ABS plastic that could be colour coded to blend in alittle better if need be ??

No, its Carbon Fibre with a weave pattern. Best mounted on a Carbon scoop.

I think you'd see different results in different climates. Cold damp climates probably won't notice a difference. Hot sticky climates, well anything that can get more air thru the intercooler is only going to help....

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
supercoopers said:
I've got it and yes it is worthwile :)

Anything that improves airflow into that tiny letterbox opening in the hood is a godsend and you'd be surprised just how much cooler the car runs in high speed runs with the venuri on.

Henry
How have you documented this?

·
Registered
444 Posts
My bet is that this scoop will in fact improve intercooler air flow enough to make a performance difference. Most likely not a seat of the paint difference, but I could imagine a 5 hp possible increase could be had.
I have been working on a modified MCS hood that will help with IC cooling. Don't know if it will ever come alive, but I'm hopping to have something by sumer '05.

·
Registered
130 Posts
scoop

i had mine painted to match my indi blue and lloks pretty good to me i can send a pic if needed

ron

·
still short!!
572 Posts
I've got this fitted too, and find it keeps the engine a fair bit cooler! I have climate control and the Hi setting doesn't get quite as toastie as it used ti!! Plus, I think it looks good on my wee fattie!! :D

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

It seems no-one has considered the aerodynamic effects. Just by looking at the design, I suspect it is going to add significantly to aero drag, especially at high track speeds, eg 150km+. The centre of the bonnet is one of the high pressure, high flow points on the car, which means it is critical. I know that the OEM scoop has been optimised in wind tunnels that cost multi-millions in Euros. I doubt that someone can throw something together in their backyard that can match the aerodynamics. It is possible that the increased flow on the intercooler makes power, but at high speed it may be negated by negative aerodynamics :eek: I am not saying that a bigger scoop is a bad thing, but I would like it engineered by the factory, with all their wind tunnel and engineering expertise :cool:

Cheers

Robbo

·
Registered
444 Posts
........... not too much aerodynamic about the Mini anyway ... :rolleyes:

I really doubt that this scoop would have much effect negating it. I mean the amount of drag and negative air pressure that the Mini drags behind it is enough to suck in small children and farm animals at high speed. I don't see that this scoop could make it any worse. ;)

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
onasled said:
........... not too much aerodynamic about the Mini anyway ... :rolleyes: [/color]

I really doubt that this scoop would have much effect negating it. I mean the amount of drag and negative air pressure that the Mini drags behind it is enough to suck in small children and farm animals at high speed. I don't see that this scoop could make it any worse. ;)

Actually I don't think that's true about the negative air pressure. I'm quite certain it's positive pressure at least at the rear glass.

I used to race pickup trucks and there was a great debate about the aerodynamics of the bed and cab. There was a large study done. The variables were:
Standard configuration
No tail gate
Full tonneau
3/4 tonneau with and without tailgate

The winner was 3/4 tonneau with tailgate.
The surprise fact (to most people) was that the standard config was 2nd because there is a high pressure zone at the rear of the cab. Anybody that owns a pickup can confirm this. Where does all the crap in your bed end up? Against the back of the cab. Open the rear sliding glass and you can feel the cabin pressurize at highway speeds.
Open the rear window on an Explorer and drive down a dusty road with all the other windows closed. Dust will blow in that window quite well.

Add to this that a good number of high performance cars also have a flat rear section and I think your negative pressure argument goes out the window.

Found the study here

Yes there's a difference between trucks and MINIs :) but I still doubt it's negative pressure that packs all the dirt on the rear of the MINI or my Minivan for that matter.

·
Nut Job
201 Posts
The Subie STi has a larger scoop than the WRX for good reason....I can't say much for that gawd-awful rear wing though..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not sure then if I used the correct term "negative air pressure" then, though I think I have. Negative air pressure is otherwise a vacuum, a place where there is no air. So weather this terminology is wrong or not, we are agreeing that there is a LOT of drag behind the MINI due to a vacuum. Hence why I said that "...the amount of drag and negative air pressure that the Mini drags behind it is enough to suck in small children and farm animals at high speed..."

Nothing like driving down the road in fall and watching the swirl of leaves hanging out just behind the rear window. :eek: :D

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
robbo mcs said:
Hi,

It seems no-one has considered the aerodynamic effects. Just by looking at the design, I suspect it is going to add significantly to aero drag, especially at high track speeds, eg 150km+. The centre of the bonnet is one of the high pressure, high flow points on the car, which means it is critical. I know that the OEM scoop has been optimised in wind tunnels that cost multi-millions in Euros. I doubt that someone can throw something together in their backyard that can match the aerodynamics. It is possible that the increased flow on the intercooler makes power, but at high speed it may be negated by negative aerodynamics :eek: I am not saying that a bigger scoop is a bad thing, but I would like it engineered by the factory, with all their wind tunnel and engineering expertise :cool:

Cheers

Robbo
alls i know is that it stops yer windscreen wipers working properly at high speed, I don't have anyidea bout gains or anything like that but for the price i'd say it's worth a try:)

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
onasled said:
Not sure then if I used the correct term "negative air pressure" then, though I think I have. Negative air pressure is otherwise a vacuum, a place where there is no air. So weather this terminology is wrong or not, we are agreeing that there is a LOT of drag behind the MINI due to a vacuum. Hence why I said that "...the amount of drag and negative air pressure that the Mini drags behind it is enough to suck in small children and farm animals at high speed..."

[/color] Nothing like driving down the road in fall and watching the swirl of leaves hanging out just behind the rear window. :eek: :D

No, I didn't say there was drag due to vacuum. A vacuum is a condition where pressure is less than atmospheric, that'd be cool.
I actually said there is a very good chance there is positive pressure at the glass surface.
The MINI fits the definition of a bluff body. It will definitely have frictional as well as pressure drag but is it really low pressure at the back glass? I don't know.
Do you? If so I'd like to see the data as I've always been curious about it.

·
The Mini Family Sponsers
1,607 Posts
Can you get this scoop as a one piece scoop or is it only available as the add on?
Thanks for any feedback...

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
rasp said:
Can you get this scoop as a one piece scoop or is it only available as the add on?
Thanks for any feedback...

This particular one is an add on.
I haven't seen a one piece unit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts