MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Cooper, 2008, Manual
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The reason for dropping this post out is because I am aware people sometimes have difficulty with successfully locking the flywheel with the lock pin. It is possible to believe the lock pin is home when it is not; this is due to the way the alignment hole is set out on the flywheel where it is on a raised area and what actually happens is that the lock pin becomes wedged between the face of the raised area and the flywheel housing. To prevent this happening I use a borescope to bring the flywheel alignment hole into the centre of the flywheel casing alignment hole before inserting the lock pin which goes home with a little wiggle of a socket on the end of the crank.

Eye Automotive lighting Automotive tire Human body Audio equipment

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
when i do refreshes I use a torch and can look from drivers wheel arch as sump and oil pump is off,,, I also have two brass rods I drop down the number 1 and number 2 plug holes and when both same height i know the lock hole is ether about there or 180 degrees out,, i tell if locked correctly by if try and rotate crank both ways and it wont turn either way its correct if when try anti clockwise it rotates then its caught a high spot on flywheel and is wrong ,, takes me 5 minutes from start to finish these days to lock the crank,, i also when apart add a couple of paint dots on camshafts and crank where the chain sprockets sit,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts