MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a Mini. Preferably one of the old ones. Like the 70's models. I was just wondering if anyone has ever put a V8 in a Mini. If it's possible, this is part of my plan for my mini. :D

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
It would drive like shy#e, bog and push in the corners, and probably fall apart as the chassis is not structured to hold such a heavy and cumbersome powerplant. Stick to the Impala for 0-60 times. :rolleyes:

·
mini beast
128 Posts
faSSter said:
I am in the market for a Mini. Preferably one of the old ones. Like the 70's models. I was just wondering if anyone has ever put a V8 in a Mini. If it's possible, this is part of my plan for my mini. :D
What a fantastic first post! I like your vision! :D

·
cristo
2,887 Posts
I had some V8 in my mini, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are better brands
of vegetable juice around. Please don't spill it in the car, it's a bother to clean up
as well. Deffo not for the gas, coolant, oil, PS, washer, or brake fluid reservoirs. :D

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
For as long as there are easily accessable V8 motors, there will be somebody trying to wedge them in and on any conveyance possible. A group of folks after my own heart, bless them all! :cool:

I wonder when someone will put a V8 on a Segway?

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Willy said:
I wonder when someone will put a V8 on a Segway?
OK, now even I would have to try that one out! Hee-Hee! :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I know it will be a lot of work, but I think it's worth it. I got the idea when I saw a Honda Civic with a 454 chevrolet engine at a car show. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
4 pages of awesome engine swaps here

·
Registered
700 Posts
As already mentioned, wedging V/8 sized iron into a small car is guaranteed to really screw up the balance/weight distribution of a MINI. Why bother with a heavy V/8 when we can get upwards of 300 HP out of a 4 banger?

Anything is possible, some dragsters have jet engines in them. Why not a MINI, I guess :rolleyes: :(

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
I remember someone doing a 454 in a Chevy (Vauxhall) Chevette a while back, but you couldn't actually drive it anywhere but at the strip...

There's a company here in Atlanta (though I think most of the engineering is done in the UK) that puts Honda Vtech motors in old Minis. That would seem to be a better choice for something that would need to do anything but drag race.

Even the weakest motor they offer, at 145hp, would do magical things to a car that weighs basically nothing...

www.gomini.com

-Eric

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
seen a few decent engine swaps. a V8, any really is a pretty heavy engine. any mini with a V8 would have to be a pure drag car i think as handling would go out the window. seen a few with motorbike engines. the power to weight is superb and you end up with a car that can run some incredible 1/4 mile times, BUT, thanks to the low weight, still handles.

the ideal place for a big engine in a mini is in the back, where the seats should be, making it rear drive. a mini estate or pick up would be best for this. i've seen pick-ups with V8s in.

there's a lot of people in the UK with a variety of engines in old minis. the 2 litre vauxhall is v popular and with some moderate tuning you're looking at 250bhp. obv. weight would be up a bit, but even so. the Vtecs are common enough and i've seen a few K-series. the K is light and gives reasonable power. get a crashed VHPD version (non VVC) and you're looking 187bhp.

think any mini with an engine like this would need a full cage and seam welding or it would just twist up under full load, or at least split the sills.

my top plan would be a bike engine in the front (Hayabusa maybe?), one in the back therefore 4wd and some light tuning. run each engine independently so no transfer case, saving weight and lowering mechanical losses.

a lightly tuned Hayabusa gives about 200bhp so two with an all up weight of say, 700kg would give power to weight of 571bhp per ton!!!!!!!!!!! hello!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies. IMO, there's just nothing that sounds as good as a big fat V8 rumbling under a hood. I have never in my life heard a 4 banger that sounded good. (just my opinion) No flames intended. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts