MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again (like heated seats) this is an item I've never had, and can see no use for. Please tell me otherwise if you've had experience or thoughts I've not entertained. In 30 years of driving, I've never noticed that my headlights were diminished by dirty lenses. Maybe I haven't been observant enough, but after a washing I've never observed that the lights were improved. The only application I can see would be for rally cars...slopping on real mud. Other than that, isn't this just one more gadget not needed?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
After watching Paul's video of the power washers in action, I'd have to say they are a cool looking :cool: However, I don't see their value in ordinary driving. They're just another item that's going to be expensive to repair or replace. If I can get my dealer to swap the V-spokes for 5-stars, I won't be getting the Sport Package on my 'S', so won't have to worry about this.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I dont know where you all live, but where I have to drive to and from work (and Abi's work) the cars get caked in mud, especially during winter, within the space of a week or so. The clio has what they call 'double optic' lights (not sure what they are, but very bright) and you can tell a huge difference at night between clean lights (at the start of the week) and dirty lights (at the end of it).

Plus as MINIAC says, the traffic light fun factor is there, but that's hardly worth the cash alone!

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
231 Posts
Just to throw a little water on the fire, at NAIAS the black Cooper S had the Xenon lights and on the left one the crome bit on the end was broken off. MINI person said it was from a little girl pulling on it. Still want them though...I will hesitate pushing that wash button...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I thought the power wash had to installed when you order Xenon headlights due to the government rules.

Xenon have not had a good name with many other drivers complianting about getting blinded by the bright white light that they give off.

So in a reaction to this the EC (and i think USA as well) governments said that some type of headlight cleaning system had to be installed. As they thought that dirt and other roads grime could cause the light to be refracted.

It is all to make sure that the light does not shine up into the eyes of oncoming traffic. This is also why you get the auto leveling system with the headlights.

I think this is correct as I read all of this a few years ago while looking in to get some aftermarket Xenon lights.

Snoopy

·
Registered
342 Posts
All I want to know is, does anybody make an attachment for the washers to fill up water balloons? Can they be aimed to shoot joggers?

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
kshapiro said:
In 30 years of driving, I've never noticed that my headlights were diminished by dirty lenses.
I can understand where you are coming from, but here in the UK your car gets dirty the second you drive it out of the car wash.

I really like the ‘Headlight Washers’; I love the way they just pop out. I am not too sure how effective they would be though. It takes more than a squirt of water normally to remove the crap that collects on my headlights. I was expecting it to have a little blade as well.

LMB :D

·
Sham's apprentice
721 Posts
kshapiro said:
Again (like heated seats) this is an item I've never had, and can see no use for... In 30 years of driving, I've never noticed that my headlights were diminished by dirty lenses... Other than that, isn't this just one more gadget not needed?
I have to agree with Kshapiro. I have been leaning away from spending $500 on xenon lights anyway - Add this gadget to the mix and I say no way! While I've never been in a car with xenon I can sure say that I do not like it when a xenon equiped car is coming at me.

That said, the washers do look cool in the video :cool:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
THe washerjets would have to be really powerful to be of any use cleaning glass. But who cares, they are a great gadget and are on my "must have" list!!

:)

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I have to say the jets really do come out with real power.

I got splashed a little filming that video!

The pipe (which you can see in one of the under the boot photo's) is very large because the mechanism is driven by the force of the water.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Looks powerful in the video. but you know what I mean. You hit your headlights with a hose, and you get the worst off. Then wipe it with a sponge and there's still heaps of grime on there. They've got to be better than nothing though.....and very very cool. Lovely stuff.

Fancy being able to touch and feel one in the flesh....lucky bugger !!

·
Registered
448 Posts
For me the power washer is one of the main attractions of the xenon lights!

As others have said, there's so much crud put on our roads in the winter to inhibit ice forming that a car will be grimy withing a week of a good wash, and be black as pitch a week later!

I've just washed my car for the second time in a fortnight precisely because the dirt on my headlamps had built up to a point where I couldn't see more than a few yards ahead - which is dangerous if you're driving so fast you can't see further than your stopping distance.

A gadget that will help keep my lights a bit cleaner for a bit longer sounds like a very good idea.

Though I'm also worried about the idea that a jet of water won't be powerful enough to cut through the dirt. I'll just have to make sure I use it as frequently as possible - every set of traffic lights :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ken..power washers..

Ken, I have almost the exact same setup on my Audi S4, they do work, when there is salt on the road they are vey good at removing the residue and keeping my xeons (which have a vey sharp upper cut-off) from spraying light all over when they get dirty. They only work on the S4 when you use the windshield washer and the headlights are on.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Paul

Did the MINI headlight wash system just have bog-standard screenwash in it because (at least in the past) BMW have sold a separate solution for headlight washing that is meant to cut through grime very effectively.

kjs

·
Registered
906 Posts
The only clean part of my MINI is the front, so headlamp washers are not a lot of good for me. Now the rear number plate is a different story! Did you know that you can be fined up to £1000 for a dirty rear number plate? Yes, the law changed last year to stop people getting away with unreadable plates when they went through a Gatso.

A rear number plate washer would be much more use.

(I drive mostly on unclassified roads with plenty of mud, no gritters, and no other traffic. M+S tyres are mandatory!)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Couple of bits ........

ok, excuse me for being dumb but is this a standard fit or is it and option and if so is it only available with the Xenon lights?

also, where is this video? I have looked in the goodies section with no luck

1 - 20 of 52 Posts