MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Joshua Peet
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just got my engine back from the shop after having all of the valves replaced due to a major timing incident (whoops)....

The cylinder head is off atm and we’ve just locked the cams in place ready for the head to go back on.

I’ve noticed that two of the valves on the intake side are sticking out when the engine is at TDC... Shouldn’t they all be the same when the engine is locked at this?

All of the pistons seem in line so I am just wondering if this is correct or if it needs to go back to the shop.

Thanks - any tips and advice or notes on refitting the head would be appreciated too!

It’s the second engine the car has had this year and we’ve had it rebuilt so I want to make sure everything is perfect.

· Registered
13,636 Posts
you must use special timing lock tools link below fairly ok cheap one,

lock the crankshaft as when all 4 pistons are same height in bores there is a locking hole on flywheel slide pin in there so cant rotate the crank so will not rotate either way if locks one direction only then that's a wrong point to lock at ie caught a bolt hole instead not good if try at that point will bend valves,
before dropping head on put camshafts in and lock them with special tools ie in middle of camshafts there is writing on them this writing should face upwards on both camshaft then lock the camshafts with lock tool and bolts provided in kit, at this point can fit the head,, IF YOUR HEAD HAS BEEN SKIMMED AS IT LOOKS LIKE ITS HAS YOU MUST USE A THICKER GASKET,, MACHINE SHOP SHOW KNOW WHAT WAS SKIMMED OFF.. IE FACTORY IS 1 NOTCH MAX IS 4 NOTCHES,
you will need new bolts for head and must be lightly oiled also make sure all hole in block are totally cleaned out as its poss to crack a block if dont,,
also need new cam bolts and bottom bolt, once again light oiled before fitting to allow the stretch to work correctly failure to do this will lead to bad outcomes of bolts letting go at some point,,
you cannot time those engine without the special lock tools

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just got my engine back from the shop after having all of the valves replaced due to a major timing incident (whoops)....

The cylinder head is off atm and we’ve just locked the cams in place ready for the head to go back on.

I’ve noticed that two of the valves on the intake side are sticking out when the engine is at TDC... Shouldn’t they all be the same when the engine is locked at this?

All of the pistons seem in line so I am just wondering if this is correct or if it needs to go back to the shop.

Thanks - any tips and advice or notes on refitting the head would be appreciated too!

It’s the second engine the car has had this year and we’ve had it rebuilt so I want to make sure everything is perfect. View attachment 275702
Do you get your answer? Are the cylinder 4 exhaust valves should be open when the timing lock tools is applied (printed writings are pointing upwards). I have the same on my N12B14A head. I am worry it may be a bend valve. Will try to remove them to check.

· Registered
13,636 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
cannot time these engine without the locking kit and locking kit ensures nothing hits when done correctly,
Thanks Mike, I have laser tool, was just testing it before I fit the head back on as it's just come back from builder, but noted when I lock the cam in using the tool, with both wrtings facing upwards, the exhaust valves remain open. Just wondering if it's supposed to be like that. Crank is locked,with all pistons level in approx mid position

· Registered
13,636 Posts
yes it is correct ,

Reactions: SatMiniOne
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.