MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone . I figured I could probably get some help with an issue I鈥檓 having. I have two error codes 283d and 2845 both related to the exhaust side. I have done all the checks and rechecks to try and solve the issue. I replaced the timing chain with a Autozone Duralast timing chain Kit. I鈥檓 not sure if that casing the issue are not. What鈥檚 is when I ensure all the error codes are clear and I delete all adaptations. On the first crank everything sounds to be in timing then about 1 minute into the warm up I can hear the engine rpms drop then the pending error codes appear 2845 DME: Vanos,exhaust actuator movement. I鈥檓 currently waiting for an oem Vanos solenoid to arrive tomorrow. If that doesn鈥檛 resolve the issues, my only and final guess is the Exhaust sprocket on the exhaust cam is bad. I have changed the cam sensors, crank sensor, did oil pressure test (50 at idle), removed and checked the inside of the oil pump. Any advice will help?

I do notice when I unplug the Eccentric shaft electrical connector or the vavletronic electric connector , I鈥檓 able to get the live Vanos Exhaust adaptation reading in the live view of my Scan tool. It鈥檚 and 53 within range. Hopefully this OEM Vanos Solenoid solves the issue.:unsure:

Registered
would suspect the camshaft first journal the rings and at worst head worn away common below pics show healthy ones

Nickel Art Household hardware Tool Gas
Household hardware Finger Auto part Thumb Nickel

Reactions: New2R56

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I was thinking the journal also, so I replaced the rings a couple of days ago, I also used a little bit of Valve grinding paste and a glass surface to take a little bit of the surface away near the bolt hole contact areas of the cap. I did notice a slight increase on the exhaust side adaptation values. They went from 40 to 53 after the cam seal rings and grinding of the cam cap.
Like you said I may just have a worn head. I purchased the car for pretty cheap from a car auction for my son that鈥檚 about to start driving soon. It did have a over heating issue when I first got the car in July. So I replaced the thermostat housing. Everything seems to be working as far as cooling now. Maybe the head was damaged from the previous owner. It may have been a combination of timing chain and the overheating that drove them to getting rid of the car. I may be looking for a new head soon.

Thanks for the reply Mike!

Registered
they wear the camshaft inner edge from inside of rings as rings are harder material than the camshaft ,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you say the best option would be to get a remanufactured head since the cam caps are not repairable/replaceable?

Registered
Would you say the best option would be to get a remanufactured head since the cam caps are not repairable/replaceable?
i have got away with replacing the caps and camshaft with know good one, i've sold a few on here to people who had same issues and sorted it was the feed back so possible to just replace the camshaft and end cap, but if head surface badly scored its a head as well on exhaust side on n1214b and n1216b and n16 engines the inlet camshaft can change the posit it sits in as such ie like pic below

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It鈥檚 pretty hard finding a camshaft and cap ends locally. I鈥檝e seen some on eBay but they are almost the cost of a used head or engine. Plus how do I know the camshaft and caps are not just as bad as mine?
What is a good price (U.S dollar) for a used camshaft and cap? Would you have any?

Registered
It鈥檚 pretty hard finding a camshaft and cap ends locally. I鈥檝e seen some on eBay but they are almost the cost of a used head or engine. Plus how do I know the camshaft and caps are not just as bad as mine?
What is a good price (U.S dollar) for a used camshaft and cap? Would you have any?
sold all mine on here, for exhaust side only got inlet side left, trouble with the states last camshaft and end cap I sent postage on fed-ex that was 拢48 just to post it tracked and fastest method, around 拢100 is the norm for a used camshaft and end cap off some with low miles trouble is rare thing as a lot fail do to oil starved

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the 鈥渙em鈥 solenoid didn鈥檛 fix the issue. I鈥檓 waiting on the sprocket to arrive Saturday. If that doesn鈥檛 fix it I guess I will just find a head somewhere.
I installed the new solenoid, cleared all codes and adaptations. Ran through the steps in learning the new adaptation. Everything was in range. Go straight to the faults code menu. The 288D code is already pending! I attached some pics of the freeze frame from the scan tool. Not sure if any of this information will help.
Mobile phone Product Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device
Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device Gadget

Registered
would say all signs of the oil system fault for that camshaft , hopefully is just the vanos sprocket,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts