MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, first time poster :)

Just finished head gasket replacement on Mini 2010 Cooper S (N18). Replaced all gaskets, washers, chains etc. as I've completed the work and followed BMW's technical instructions.

Started the car and it threw a 002D60 code - VANOS, exhaust: control fault, camshaft stuck. I reset the adaptations, then started the car again and got the code 003012 - Exhaust camshaft: Installation faulty. On running a diagnostic on ISTA, it says the VANOS system cannot be adjusted. Double checked wiring to the VANOS as well and all seems good. Car runs but is very rough at idle or lower revs.

Any advice would be very much appreciated as unsure how to resolve this.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
are you sure its put back together right,, ie that the vanos sprockets are correct,,, ie the inlet camshaft has IN on it and exhaust has EX stamped on it easy mistake to make if never done one before

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you sure its put back together right,, ie that the vanos sprockets are correct,,, ie the inlet camshaft has IN on it and exhaust has EX stamped on it easy mistake to make if never done one before
Thanks for the quick reply. It is my first time doing one of these but I'm pretty sure I got those the right way round as I was aware they weren't interchangeable and made a point of checking at the time.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
then start at basics oil pressure test first off, as if oil pressure to low will cause the system not to run, might even be worth checking have oil coming up to camshaft rule out oil issues or the non return valve in the block are working fine etc,
guess all the vvt spring fingers are in place correctly and the correct hydraulic lifter posts are all correct ie the exhaust ones are shorter than exhaust ones if vvt detects a fault it will shut both systems down

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
then start at basics oil pressure test first off, as if oil pressure to low will cause the system not to run, might even be worth checking have oil coming up to camshaft rule out oil issues or the non return valve in the block are working fine etc,
guess all the vvt spring fingers are in place correctly and the correct hydraulic lifter posts are all correct ie the exhaust ones are shorter than exhaust ones if vvt detects a fault it will shut both systems down
Hi Mike, Thanks for your help.
I’ve tried do oil pressure readings with ISTA and a different diagnostic device and can find loads of data but not oil pressure! Is the only option to use an oil pressure test kit?
On the oil feed to camshaft check, is there an easy way to do this?.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
you cannot do oil pressure test with a electronic diagnostics tool,, need oil pressure gauge as per below link to them i believe you will also need adapter to connect to head 1/4 m16 off top of my head but i might be wrong not bought one is 10 years as still have the one i bought

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just take it to dealer for a diagnostic then you can fix it your self is not that expensive before you spend money on parts that you don’t need something similar happened to mine and after a lot of parts that didn’t fixed the problem I took it in to dealership they reprogrammed the dem and that fixed it also don’t take it to a shop that’s not dealership even if it says bmw or mini repair shop before I went to dealership I went to a shop and they wanted 2300 just to inspect timing components I knew everything was new there so I told them no then took it to dealership $180 and fixed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you cannot do oil pressure test with a electronic diagnostics tool,, need oil pressure gauge as per below link to them i believe you will also need adapter to connect to head 1/4 m16 off top of my head but i might be wrong not bought one is 10 years as still have the one i bought
Hi Mike, OK - I'll buy one of those, run a pressure test and see what I get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just take it to dealer for a diagnostic then you can fix it your self is not that expensive before you spend money on parts that you don’t need something similar happened to mine and after a lot of parts that didn’t fixed the problem I took it in to dealership they reprogrammed the dem and that fixed it also don’t take it to a shop that’s not dealership even if it says bmw or mini repair shop before I went to dealership I went to a shop and they wanted 2300 just to inspect timing components I knew everything was new there so I told them no then took it to dealership $180 and fixed
Hi Pedro, thanks for the input. At the moment, I'm trying to avoid taking it anywhere as I want to learn how to do these things myself and I really enjoy getting to the bottom of problems like this (sad, I know!).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let us know what fixed it please also I used justanswer.com there’s some good help there from bmw experts they can tell you what to look for

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
worked at main dealers before all they know how to do is replace what their PC data list tells them ,, ie might tell you to replace the engine and off they go with a £6k bill for the customer, where people like me who strip and repair these things and no fully how they work have rebuilt many and not cost a 5th of that if that if doing it your self,

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Hi Mike, OK - I'll buy one of those, run a pressure test and see what I get.
you will need to order this adapter as well as that kit wont have correct size in it as psa bmw use a strange thread

1 - 14 of 14 Posts