MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently waiting for my 2005 Black MCS that is schedualed to be deliver in Feb.-Mar.
I am a little concern when I recently see many owners posting many articles about problems with their MCS, gearbox noise, eletrical, fit&finish. :( I guess I just want to get some suggestion about what to look for when I get my new MCS. I have been driving a car with automatic for sometime now and they might be a learning curve with my 6 speed mini. It may take sometimes for me to notice any problems and like anything the earlier you find a problem the easier it is to fix it. :) Advise any experience mini driver out there. Another question for anyone out there, what is the price for LSD option on the MCS. My dealer doesn't seem to know and he said that it is not available on my 05 with delivery date in late Feb- early Mar. Is this true?

Thanks
:black:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I will address only information on the LSD as I am not currently an owner, but will be in Feb. '05 of a MCS w/ LSD.

MCSs and MCSCs produced after the start of 2005 can be had with the LSD with the manual transmission ....not with the automatic. Thus, if your MCS is due in March/April then you will be able to have it. The cost in the US is $500. In England, I believe it is 100L extra over the so-called Chillipack.

I strongly recommend you get it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
pavarolar said:
I am currently waiting for my 2005 Black MCS that is schedualed to be deliver in Feb.-Mar.
I am a little concern when I recently see many owners posting many articles about problems with their MCS, gearbox noise, eletrical, fit&finish. :( I guess I just want to get some suggestion about what to look for when I get my new MCS. I have been driving a car with automatic for sometime now and they might be a learning curve with my 6 speed mini. It may take sometimes for me to notice any problems and like anything the earlier you find a problem the easier it is to fix it. :) Advise any experience mini driver out there. Another question for anyone out there, what is the price for LSD option on the MCS. My dealer doesn't seem to know and he said that it is not available on my 05 with delivery date in late Feb- early Mar. Is this true?

Thanks
I picked my car up almost 2 weeks ago and made up a check list for the pickup, i think its still on my PC at work, will have a look tomorrow and post it here for you.

I would definitely check for the gearbox/clutch rattle on idle, plenty of threads on here about it. Start the car up, put it in neutral and listen for a chattering or 'sewing machine' noise, try depressing the clutch and then releasing and see if there are any noises, there shouldnt be a noise. I'd definitely take the car for a spin before signing anything, take the salesman with you, listen for the clutch/gearbox rattle at the end of the run also.

Whilst on the run dont keep chatting to the saleman, even if it means awkward silences, you are listening for rattles/noises/etc, plenty of time for small talk later. I dont know what the temperature will be like when you pick it up, but cold weather will tend to show up any rattles in all their glory. Try and refrain from putting the heaters up full because the rattles usually improve once things are heated up.

Like i said i will post my checklist tomorrow if i can find it.

Hope this helps.

BC

·
Registered
227 Posts
I picked up my 05 MCS in September, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. No rattles, paint problems, noises, drive train noise. Nothing. Hope it won't bother you if yours is equally problem free. You tend to hear a lot about the problems, but an awful lot of people have problem-free cars. Just be aware that the Mini has alot of electrical servos built into it, and occasional whirring noises or noises you are not used to are "normal." You should be able to tell a rattle from a servo moving a flap in the heater system.

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
JoeDentist said:
I picked up my 05 MCS in September, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. No rattles, paint problems, noises, drive train noise. Nothing. Hope it won't bother you if yours is equally problem free. You tend to hear a lot about the problems, but an awful lot of people have problem-free cars. Just be aware that the Mini has alot of electrical servos built into it, and occasional whirring noises or noises you are not used to are "normal." You should be able to tell a rattle from a servo moving a flap in the heater system.

Here is another happy customer....not a peep out of PKT RKT at all.........and having been inside the gearbox I can tell you one thing.....GETRAG builds em like brick sh*thouses.....closes thing to a proper competition gearbox in a production car I have EVER seen. Simple and rugged.....not that it cannot have problems....either a bad machining operation or a badly fitted bearing IS a problem and your warranty SHOULD COVER it.
The biggest hassle with the gearbox/dealer issue is that essentially (I believe) GETRAG is responsible for the warranty and its contract with BMW does not allow dealerships to open them. If one has a problem, it cannot be repaired by the dealership. In fact, you cannot buy parts for the gearbox from the dealerships.......ergo....the dealership will make triple sure there is truly a problem before replacing what has to be a pretty pricey unit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Heres the checklist i said i'd post, i put it together for my cars pickup, its a an improved version of one that was on here (i think). It may need to be tailored slightly if your car has a different spec, but hopefully it'll help. Hardest part is disciplining yourself to work through the checklist at the dealers, because chances are when you see your car all you will want to do is get in and drive it!

1) What are the default programmable settings?
2) Check my programmable settings.
3) Check documents.
4) Check TLC booklet and service book etc.

Pick up inspection:

1) Verify purchased options.
2) Check paint, bumpers, panel fit for imperfections.
3) Check wheels for curb scuff/imperfections.
4) Wheels – lockers, valve caps, tyre pressures.

5) Lock/unlock doors and boot via remote and keys.
6) Open/close windows via lock.
7) Confirm both windows drop just before doors open.
8) Check windscreen/windows for stress cracks.

9) Check both interior door panels for fit and finish.
10) Check dash fit and finish.
11) Check seats for imperfections.
12) Check rear seat fold.
13) Check interior panels, headliner for imperfections.
14) Check both seat adjustments and rear passenger access fold/slide.

15) Operate all wipers. Xenon headlights - operate headlight washers.
16) Check window operation.
17) Check door locks (interior toggle).
18) Check exterior mirrors adjustment and heating.
19) Check radio/CD operation.
20) Check on-board computer functions.
21) Check ASC on/off toggle switch

22) Open bonnet.
23) Start engine, listen for unusual sounds.
24) With engine running inspect engine compartment.
25) Take a drive, check shifting, pull to right or left, unusual sounds, heater/air conditioning operation.
26) Upon return, and with engine running, check engine compartment for any leaks, splashes, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks bc_seventy_six for a great check list, I am sure to take it with me to the dealer. I will also turn my ears to the gearbox for any funny noises as many suggest. I just hope that my mini will be great (as how it should be) when I pick it up and years and years after.

I finally got a chance to study the owner manual on-line last night. This Mini sure have many electronic gadgets to play with. Are all the dealer activate electric gadgetries really have to be done by the dealer? My wife's Grand Cherokee allows you to change all the settings right on the car computer. I find myself playing with her jeep setting all the time (my current car is a no power anything Mustang.) I am so looking forward to play with all those gadgets on the mini but more importing to Motoring in a great motor like a Mini Cooper!

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.