MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps I'm being a bit of a moaner but I have a very irritating problem. My drivers seat craeaks like a s**t house door in a force ten! Just as you are accelerating or breaking ......... eeekkkkkk aaaaaarrrkkkkk. Its only a minor niggle but highly annoying non the less, and i feel it spoils the driving experience. Anyone else have the same problem?

She also pulls to the left, anyone having this problem too.......( joke!)

Apart from these minor niggles.........GRRRRRRRRRRReat!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lots of MINI owners have creaky, squeaky chairs.
(This issue keeps returning.)
Mine too, and I'm getting sick of it. They have to sort this out. Some people have taking half the car apart to solve it, amazing.
I'm gonna have another talk with my dealer about this, it gives the car a cheap feel.
Has anyone heard of an official fix for this ? And I don't mean the ol' grease spray.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine's going in on Friday for a 'fix'. Apparently it involves some spacers that they add into the seat. I hope it works, as you say it's v.annoying and these spacers have taken 4 weeks to come from Germany!
I'll post again after the weekend to let you know if it works.

·
Registered
168 Posts
On my seat I simply adjusted the height up and down a few times, and it cured it...

Just a thought... :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fixed Mine.

On my car the drivers seat back was not fitted correctly.

So it kept clicking and the seat creaked all the time.

All I did (as my dealer was incapable of fixing it) was remove it and put it back on correctly. I used some sticky fixers to make sure everything holds.

It is very easey and only takes a few minutes if you are practical.

Now it is quiet and lovely, my driving pleasure has increased a lot and on a long journey it doesn't feel as if the seat is always moving around.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Adjusting the height only works for a short period. It comes back after a few days.
Apparently there is a fix, the spacers, and I'll ask for it at the dealer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
BTW, the lumbar support started to 'click' at the slightest after about 3500 miles. All in all not very impressive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The lumber support on my car has just started to click loudly on the drivers seat,it started at 3000 mls, going in on tuesday to be looked at i will keep you posted!

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
me too with the lumber support. Happened only after 1500 miles. The car is in the dealers now to get various other niggles fix. Will report back should I find out what the problem was.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine went in on Friday for the "spacer" fix.
I've now been told that the actual seat bases need replacing. Again, waiting for parts from Germany - think they've only just been redesigned so it could take a few more weeks.
They seem to have done something to them as they now squeak a bit less.
They also looked at the knocking noise from the tailgate and decided that it needed a new lock fitting which should be in in about a week (although since they had a look at it, it hasn't made a sound!)
An engineer I spoke to said that those who had problems with the squeaky seats first should be getting the replacement bases in the next week or two.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
LMB said:
me too with the lumber support. Happened only after 1500 miles. The car is in the dealers now to get various other niggles fix. Will report back should I find out what the problem was.
Well supposedly the dealership removed my lumber support and re-aligned it:confused:

Result: No difference, still creaks:rolleyes:

LMB:(

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm speaking to my dealer this week about the seats and lumbar support. I'll keep you posted.
I hope the 'early' MINI owners are not left with the annoying problems the recently built MINI's don't seem to have !

·
Registered
374 Posts
Martinbloke reported creaky seats on a March delivery car. Has the problem really gone away?

·
Registered
35 Posts
JV said:
On my seat I simply adjusted the height up and down a few times, and it cured it...

Just a thought... :)
This does really work - move the seat down and up a few times and the creaking vanishes - sure, it does come back after a while so just move it up and down again. Seems to develop when the seat is fixed in one position for any length of time. It's not perfect but not that bad:)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Creaky Seat

My seat has creaked from almost day one. I returned in to the dealer and they fixed it once, but after a week or so it returned. They then ordered me a new seat. This was 5 months ago and still the part is on back order!! The bad thing now is that the passenger side has started playing up to!:(

·
Registered
88 Posts
Car's gone in today to get the chairs done. Apparently they take them apart completely and install a 'modification'
Let's hope it'll be a proper fix !
I must say at least the dealer is making an effort.

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Squeaky seat - SOLUTION

About 4 months ago my drivers seat at 800 miles started to get a squeak when ever the road was uneven. for a month I went back and forth 4 times to my dealer to get it oiled, get the upright seat back stripped and refitted with a new frame, get the base stripped and re-fitted etc.

Eventually the squeak went, however....

about 1 week after this solution, the seat started to creak and produce the ocassional snapping sound too. The re-fitting of the leather left me with a very sloppy fit and greasy hand marks on the leather and plastic too. the base of the seat is very sloppy and no where near as firm as the passengers (which is used every day incidentally). And the lumbar support is loose and sloppy too.

About 2 months in to this saga I contacted BMW customer services who said they would take the problem on board and contact solve the problem on my behalf. That's what Customer care is for yes ? Yes.

4 months later after over 10 emails BMW customer services basically said - "We can't seem to contact the right person at the dealership to talk to so your probably best handling this problem yourself. Write them a letter or something.."

Not good this really is it - Watchdog here I come.

I mean, i've forked out over £16k for this car and they can't be bothered to help me.

What is this world coming too ?
I'd rather wait a few months for a good car instead of getting one of a lesser build quality. Everybody seems to be after a quick buck these days, no pride in workmanship (well, not with BMW anyway).

KAS.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Amazing story KAS, you got me worried now. I hope I'm not going down the same slippery slope.
So far my dealer is trying to solve things, I have to give them a chance to fix things.
Like you, I will not accept a bad job done.
We paid a lot of money for this car.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts