MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Big girl's blouse
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let the GF's uncle drive the S the other day (he'd driven it when it was stock and wanted to compare).

When we got back from the thrash, he wanted to have a look under the bonnet - I noticed that one of the screws on my Alta pulley was sticking out at an angle! :eek:

When I reached in to touch it, it fell out! After a lot of faffing about I managed to get the screw back in and tighten it (there isn't much room....). I'm glad I caught it - not sure if the screw would have made any noise if it flew out, but even if it would I could attribute that to road noise, and would have been driving around with three screws in my pulley (is that a euphemism? :D) . I imagine it would have been fairly unbalanced with only three in..

I remember that when the guy did my pulley for me that he didn't use loktite which worried me a bit, but I know he has done loads of pulleys so I forgot about it...

I'm thinking of loktiting the heads in the pulley to make sure no other screws come loose - I presume that should do it...

Cheers,
Sprydle

·
Registered
145 Posts
Red Locktite!

For god sakes man, locktite that thing! IF it had flown out in motion, the screw could have dented your hood!

You should by a lottery ticket with that kind of luck!

ciao
CB

·
Registered
64 Posts
You better locktite those bolts. They aren't big enough for the torque to hold them reliably. Losing one bolt probably wouldn't cause enough of a vibration to matter(The mass is too little, and too close to the point of rotation). But loss of one might put too much strain on the others, and if one came out, what about the others?? I wouldn't want to have to pay the tow, and the replacement of parts(non warranty for all of it). Just take them out one at a time, and use a drop of loctite red on them.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Actualy it would be better to back them out cross pattern, just like your lug bolts.
You have uneven torque on it now, you need to fix it very soon.
As suggested, red loctite and tighten in the same pattern.

·
Big girl's blouse
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all,

it's a hell of a job though - there's not much room at all...... My torque wrench will not fit in the gap.... I'll see if I can find a smaller wrench.

Cheers,
Sprydle

·
Registered
171 Posts
Torque?

Sprydle said:
Thanks all,

it's a hell of a job though - there's not much room at all...... My torque wrench will not fit in the gap.... I'll see if I can find a smaller wrench.

Cheers,
Sprydle, obehave is right on, you have uneven torque on it now. Take the tension off the pulley while tightening the screws. If you have to, you can grind down the hex wrench to fit in the gap. While grinding keep dipping the wrench in water so you don't remove the temper.
What are they about 6mm screws, whats your torque spec?
My two piece Clamp-On Style pulley has six, 6mm screws. I used Loctite blue per their recommendations
http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm?&pageid=19&layout=3 no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts