MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I bought a 2011 Cooper D a few months ago with 50 000 miles, official Mini dealer.

I never expected to obtain the Mini official mpg, but lately this is getting ridiculous. I have the BMW N47 engine, I do a lot of city driving (I don't have traffic, but a lot of roundabouts and low speed driving). Anyway, every weekend I get to a highway and do a few miles to regenerate the DPF.

Everything seems fine with the car, but I am getting an average of 35 mpg, and the better I got with normal driving was around 45 mpg...unacceptable.

I will scan it today with INPA to see if I get any codes but I did that before and nothing came out..... do you have any opinions on that? Should I check the MAF, or something in special?

Thank you so much for your opinions...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input kippax.... yes, I would accept that since you have a 2.0 diesel engine with auto gearbox.... this consumption is clearly unacceptable.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
My wife's 2009 R55 Cooper D returns a steady 62MPG as she's constantly on the motorway to get to work and back every day and she has a heavy right foot. My 2008 R55 Cooper D returns a steady 54MPG and thats mostly town driving with the odd motorway blast now and again. This figure would be better if it was on the motorway everyday but it's just a weekend car. Both units are the Peugeot Hdi's (lovely engines)
@minionept my 2004 petrol R50 is getting better MPG than your diesel. That returns a steady 44MPG and would return more no doubt if I drove it like an old lady!

·
Registered
166 Posts
The cold weather can take a toll on your MPG.

If it's really really bad I'd look into renewing the thermostat.

Perhaps you could rule it out by checking if your car is reaching operating temperature within given time.

I believe the car should be easily reaching 90 degrees within 15 minutes of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I serviced the car when I got it, everything is OEM, top quality oil......apart from the air filter, which is not OEM, however a good brand, made in Holland.... is it possible that an air filter can have such influence in the car mpg?

It seems impossible, but I think i checked everything else so far....

Thank you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any opinion on this???? I am thinking about the sensors.... MAF seems ok, what about any other sensors???

·
Registered
166 Posts
What do you mean by stored DPF code?

Are you a motorway driver?

Don't suppose you've clogged your DPF and now it's forcing more diesel into the cycle to heat up quicker to regenerate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
my r50 return's 39mpg steady/spirited driving my old S would average 19mpg!!

i would take er for a good hard drive to clear anything out that might help...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for late reply.... let me thank you for your comments...

Anish that was exactly my idea.... the car is used most in city, but I try to take it every week to motorway to regenerate.... I deleted the error, went to motorway and forced regeneration... I monitored everything with software, regen was successfuly done, the car seems great, runs great..... but mpg is very poor.... still having 6.9 l/100km which is around 34 mpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone. I just brought my first Dooper (Hatch Cooper D, 2.0, 2013) from UK to Cyprus and to say I'm disappointed in the mpg rate is to say nothing. The average mpg is about 25 (!!) mpg, while most of my trip is extra urban. I do not know the precise mpg yet as there is no trip computer but the figure is more or less accurate.

Is there any known fuel consumption problem with this precise model? Can this be caused by some engine malfunction?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Hello everyone. I just brought my first Dooper (Hatch Cooper D, 2.0, 2013) from UK to Cyprus and to say I'm disappointed in the mpg rate is to say nothing. The average mpg is about 25 (!!) mpg, while most of my trip is extra urban. I do not know the precise mpg yet as there is no trip computer but the figure is more or less accurate.

Is there any known fuel consumption problem with this precise model? Can this be caused by some engine malfunction?

Thank you in advance!
the n47 diesel engine hmmm wish bmw stayed with the m47 diesel because that engine is a peach but bmw went backwards with the m47 including putting the timing chain at the back of the engine stupid idea that was. then add they eat timing chains, anyway fuel economy the early engines in bmw 320 compacts were doing 60 ish to the gallon easy. i think its down to how they have set the fuelling and power to help generate heat in to the dpf,, i have seen better mpg with mapped cars where the power is made early in the rev cycle so power from 1000 revs so can drive lower revs but there is the if lower revs more hassle with that stupid dpf filter.. i know of a few cars with dpf deleted and maps they all say getting 60mpg easy. but of course that would be a mot failure if the mot tester knew it had been removed,

·
Registered
2 Posts
the n47 diesel engine hmmm wish bmw stayed with the m47 diesel because that engine is a peach but bmw went backwards with the m47 including putting the timing chain at the back of the engine stupid idea that was. then add they eat timing chains, anyway fuel economy the early engines in bmw 320 compacts were doing 60 ish to the gallon easy. i think its down to how they have set the fuelling and power to help generate heat in to the dpf,, i have seen better mpg with mapped cars where the power is made early in the rev cycle so power from 1000 revs so can drive lower revs but there is the if lower revs more hassle with that stupid dpf filter.. i know of a few cars with dpf deleted and maps they all say getting 60mpg easy. but of course that would be a mot failure if the mot tester knew it had been removed,
Ok, here is what I found in wiki article of N47:

The return spring on the turbo's waste-gate was not originally lubricated or covered, this frequently resulted in early failure causing the waste-gate to remain partially or fully open. With the subsequent loss in compression, fuel consumption increased by 30%-50%. The problem was described by BMW engineers as a "known fault" and was immediately repaired.

Do you think this might be the case? Cannot find any other good reason why does this tiny car eats twice as more as big diesel saloons...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Ok, here is what I found in wiki article of N47:

The return spring on the turbo's waste-gate was not originally lubricated or covered, this frequently resulted in early failure causing the waste-gate to remain partially or fully open. With the subsequent loss in compression, fuel consumption increased by 30%-50%. The problem was described by BMW engineers as a "known fault" and was immediately repaired.

Do you think this might be the case? Cannot find any other good reason why does this tiny car eats twice as more as big diesel saloons...

Thanks!
i know its nuts because that engine is in larger cars and will do better/same mpg, if was return spring a simple eobd scan would show it up as a charge pressure fault. for me i would go down the dpf connected reasons mybe getting blocked, if car used around town low revs,, ie under 2500 revs a lot then for me dpf is a fair contender,,
Cataclean Diesel DPF & Catalytic Converter Cleaner - 450ml | eBay
hash=item2ee97b1420:g:xFwAAOSwls5Y7PO0
click on this link its called cataclean dpf cleaner this stuff i have used for years, its a mot in a bottle, if car is above emissions put a bottle of this in and the reading on gas machine drop to nearly zero, works on petrol cars as well.. i would put a bottle in to half a tank of diesel then go give it a hard run 3000 revs everywhere, i've seen cars that would not run because of block dpf and used this stuff with a forced regen and most cars respond well to it, cheaper than the £800-£1200 mini would want to replace before it needs it,
also get egr valve cleaned and maf sensor with maff cleaner

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2009 cooper D and I get 56/mpg(5L/100km) and I drive it hard. I get as good as 3L/100 on the highway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My newly aquired 2013 Cooper D 2.0L Automatic is getting around 48 mph on motorway journeys, mainly with cruise control set to 78 mph (75mph in real terms, e.g. SatNav verified).

I was hoping for a little more, perhaps low 50s, but I can live with it.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
My R50 Petrol just about matches your performance and my 2009 Cooper D Clubmeister smashes it. I get about 56MPG is running around the doors and 60+ on a motorway run

·
Sour Mash
1,287 Posts
If you are in the US is possible somewhere along the line someone used imperial gallons by accident. 1 US gallon is about 0.8 imperial gallons. So a car that does 50MPG in the rest of the world you will naturally find it does 40 if you measure it by US gallons.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
11 Participants
mike1967
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing