MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left rear runflat is slowly losing air pressure. It is a Pirelli Eufori Runflat. Sometimes in the space of a few days, sometimes over a week. There does not seem to be any evidence of a screw or nail in the tyre and no damage to the sidewalls.

Does anyone no if it would be possible to stop this with some tyre gunk? Save having to buy a brand new tyre for the car as I only replaced the fronts the other month!

Regards,

Nev.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Try over inflating the tyre upto say 60 psi, it may be that the tyre just needs reseating on the beading of the rim. This solved my slow leak.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers all!

After pumping the tyre up that far do you leave it for a certain amount of time and then let it back down to the required rate?

Nev.

·
Registered
317 Posts
No it should reseat itself immediately! Alternatively get a tyre shop to reseat it for you and clean the rim prior to pumping it up again! Have to admit none of this worked for mine!! It still goes down slowly

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you take the wheel off, then give it a couple of bounces on different edges, then deflate back to the normal pressure. If you leave the wheel on the car, inflate the tyre, let the car roll for one revolution of the wheel then deflate to normal pressure.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure I will take the wheel off, but I will try and drive one revolutuion with the extra pressure. If you hear a loud explosion........

Nev.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tyre has not blown up! I guess I will report back if and when the TPC comes back on to see if it has worked.

Nev.

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
If you do pop the wheel off, you might do well to get a very soapy/water solution and apply it to the tire all around to see if you see any tiny bubbles that might identify a leak.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Nev
Just wondering what happened with your slow puncture? I have exact same problem on my 05 MCS and searched your thread among others.
Thanks Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
It might be also worth taking to a tyre fitters to get the valve checked out, or just replaced. It may not be seated correctly or be passing a little air if faulty, I have had this on my mini where i could hear air escaping and by moving the rubber valve about it either stopped the air coming out, or made it worse. Took it to a tyre fitters and they just fitted a new one cos they are dirt cheap and its ok now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the same problem- I got new tyres put on the car (pirelli Eufori) and 2 tyres were losing pressure. I brought the car back to tyre place nad they took wheels off and poured sudsy water on the wheels- (hi-tech i know)....small air bubbles (almost froth) could be seen escaping from the front face of the wheel where tyre meets rim- they said the tyre/wheel needed to be sealed bit better and this has solved my problem! They said the run flats were cat....

·
Thi Rascule
181 Posts
I had this on my front driver side goodyear, I put up with it for about a year, then when I changed the tyres dur to wear, I found a huge nail firmy set between 2 of the inner tread paterns. I only noticed it by looking inside the tyre, it didn't really notice at all from the outside, even if you knew where to look.

I figure I did about 8,000 miles, some at quite high (but legal of course) speeds.

·
HOT Arizona
116 Posts
Hey there,

Check your valve stems!!! I have had this happen to me on other cars - after checking the tire several times we found a leaky valve stem. You pay top $$ for a great tire and then the tire shop used the cheapest valve stems they have. Also check the wheel itself - I have had one car that had aluminum wheels ( factory ) and the wheel had a leak! ( a very slow one ).

Good luck
John - Bigcoyote

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Nev
Just wondering what happened with your slow puncture? I have exact same problem on my 05 MCS and searched your thread among others.
Thanks Steve
Hi Steve. Got your email but thought I would post on the forum. I actually spotted the cause of the puncture when I was washing my S, two nails deep in the tyre. The tyre was repaired at Quik Fit, with no detrimental differance to the performance.

I have heard of runflats needing to be sealed on the rim properly on BMWs as well, so that could be the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated.
When I first noted the problem 3 months ago all I got from the tyre places here was give us $500 (NZ) and we will put a new tyre on - but you will have to wait a few days while we order it in. What other type of cars would be off the road for a few days each time they get a puncture!
Can be frustrating getting experienced info down here where you are lucky to see a handful of new MINI's in a week.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great looking car Steve. In the village I live in there are about 3 Dark Silver S's within half a mile of each other!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a slow leak with Pirelli Euforia runflats...1-2 psi per day. Couldn't see any evidence of a puncture. Tire shop immersed the normally-inflated tire in water, couldn't find a leak. Next they inflated it to max pressure on the sidewall label...again no bubbles. Then they lowered the pressure to 15psi...bubbles appeared in the tread. After the tread area dried, couldn't see the puncture spot, only could locate it by white marks made while the bubbles were issuing. Tire dismounted, patched from the inside, reinstalled, no more leak. Tire shop said the low pressure inflation test sometimes finds leaks that don't appear at normal pressure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts