MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my most difficult decision yet is to wait for the cooper S, or just get the cooper standard, and wait for the aftermarket to go crazy over this car....

its a toughy(sp?) but maybe you guys can help....

does it seem possible that in, 4-6 months time there will be a big HP kit for the mini cooper??? if so, is it worth waiting for???

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
I've seen a web site which offered a supercharger for the cooper which would bring it up to 200 BHP, they were even developing one for 400 BHP. I'll try to find the site for you.

·
Registered
577 Posts
A turbo kit on a Cooper would be asking for trouble. The Rover gearbox would probably not be able to handle the increase in power. The Cooper S has a Getrag six speed that is supposed to be more robust. My friend's brother builds turbocharged engines and did the design work on the Volvo Turbo, among others. He said simply bolting on a turbo is not going to work. You have to beef up the crankshaft, pistons, connecting rods, cooling and lubrication systems, etc., to handle the extra power. You also need to beef up the transmission, differential, CV joints, etc., or it is not going to last very long.

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
Can't beat the beutiful sound of a Turbo dump valved car though!

I love that, what do superchargers sound like?

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
mr.bill said:
A turbo kit on a Cooper would be asking for trouble. The Rover gearbox would probably not be able to handle the increase in power. The Cooper S has a Getrag six speed that is supposed to be more robust.
EVO magazine have a Cooper with the Works conversion and have managed to knacker the gearbox out already, something to do with high amounts of torque in the low gears... thats why the power is limited on the conversion and is also why the Cooper S gets another ratio...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts