MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back on 1 Sep I put in a pro forma for a 2005 MCS LY/WHT w/WHT 17's and bonnet stripes, all three packages. I finally got a production number almost at the end of September.

Today they finally moved me to "scheduled (pronouce that like shedyooled in honor of the car's origins) for production. It's literally gonna drive me INSANE waiting. :confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The perma-grin will be nice! I got a temp-grin the day I ordered, 'cos they had an S on the lot for me to test-drive. My buddy has a VW GTI VR6, which he has been kind enough to let me drive, but it's not remotely as much fun as the Sssssssss...

Ennybody got any idea how long it might take it to get to me? I've read all the info in the FAQ, but it might be fun to have a few folks make an educated guess! The VIN got assigned sometime this weekend, and I'll be picking it up from MINI of Sterling in Sterling, Virginia.

The person who guesses the closest will receive (if they come to DC) a pint of Guiness from me for their efforts! :yellow:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, if you think that's bad, you should be in my shoes...

I got "the call" on Saturday, (car is in a will be ready for collection any time after Monday). Because of personal and work schedules, I can't pick up my car until Friday morning.

So~ between now and then, I just have to wiat, (which sucks). Being American, I need my "instant gratification".

Just kidding folks ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, that IS awful. When I get the call, I'll be camping outside of MINI of Sterling just to get a glimpse of my baby.

They might not pay me at my work, but that's not important until I have to start making payments! :D

How long was your overall wait? I'm getting the impression that Sterling sells a lot of cars and that's what made my wait so long up til now. :yellow:

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
I feel your pain! And nice color by the way!

My schedule is as follows: (this is assuming today that you start production) (first date is my schedule of events, the second is my guess for your schedule)

Went into production 9/24 10/25
Ended Production 10/4 11/4
Waited at Oxford 10/4-10/12 11/4-11/12
Jumped on the Patriot 10/14 11/14
Landed on the USA 10/25 11/25
At the VDC 10/25 11/25
Estimated Delivery Date November 4, 2004 December 3-4, 2004

That's my guess! Hang in though! You have to keep telling yourself that you are doing the right thing, even tho it takes a couple of months (weeks)!

10 days to go!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Since CooperSAZ was first with a Dec 3-4th date, I'll "bid lower" and say Nov 30th. Of course, I'm only playing for the beer. :D Can we make it a Bass instead of Guinness? ;)

I have my second order in at Towson (MD). First time I did an MC back in 02. Trading her in for the MCSC. I've been told she should be here in mid-December, with an order placed mid-October. The dealer says they swapped on of their spec cars for my order since I was a repeat customer. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The convertible is schweet. I thought really hard about getting one, but I'm going to be commuting down to DC from Catonsville and parking at the train station, so I didn't want anyone ripping up my roof to rip off my H-K sound system! :p

Bass will work fine - I'll join ya in one of those. Plus, I like your estimate better (naturally). I don't think I've been this impatient for something to happen since I was engaged!

SAZ, even though I'm hoping your estimate is wrong, I can still face early December... I guess. I was actually hoping that aliens from space would come down and magically teleport my car to the dealership. Oh, yeah, and bring world peace and stuff.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If I had to do my old daily commute - from northern Montgomery Co. to Tyson's I'd probably stick w/ the MC. As a telecommuter, the car is as much a toy as a daily driver.

My wife thinks I'm silly spending every free waking moment at the Mini OL or MINI2 site. She hasn't seen me this way since, oh, let's see... I placed my original order in March of 02...

Have you checked out the regional activities and clubs? Getting together for one of the regional events may help pass the time (or just make you even more impatient :D :D )

BTW, your spec is awesome! The three packages make it so easy for us Americans to spec the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've really enjoyed the whole experience so far. My MA gave my wife flowers when I put the money down on my pro forma. They made sure I got a test drive in, in both a MC and an S. Great experience all the way 'round, 'cept for the wait. But they have to keep demand high! :rolleyes:

I was originally going to get BRG with the racing flag roof, but I saw a LY S on the day I got the offer letter for this job, so I took it as an omen. Plus, no need for a racing flag on the top - the speed will be self-evident.

My daily commute (in the car) will be about 8 minutes each way to the train station, but I can see myself having to take the long way home (apologies to Supertramp). :yellow:

·
656 Posts
indimini said:
Since CooperSAZ was first with a Dec 3-4th date, I'll "bid lower" and say Nov 30th. Of course, I'm only playing for the beer. :D Can we make it a Bass instead of Guinness? ;)

I have my second order in at Towson (MD). First time I did an MC back in 02. Trading her in for the MCSC. I've been told she should be here in mid-December, with an order placed mid-October. The dealer says they swapped on of their spec cars for my order since I was a repeat customer. :)
I'm dying over here! That was funny! Beer it is! Guinness, Bass, they are both very good! Repeat customer perks, that was very nice of them!

What about a "gift certificate" for beer? I cannot see myself heading to the east coast from this lovely weather in Arizona anytime soon!

·
656 Posts
powerchordboy said:
SAZ, even though I'm hoping your estimate is wrong, I can still face early December... I guess. I was actually hoping that aliens from space would come down and magically teleport my car to the dealership. Oh, yeah, and bring world peace and stuff.
I hope so too! But I think I am going to be close! The one thing you can hope for is that you get to Southampton immediately following the end of production! My little guy sat there for a couple of days (actually a little of a week!) :( I have heard of people getting out and onto a boat within a few days. This may push your delivery time up by a week!

I was starting to feel like I was playing the 'Price is Right' there for a moment! Bidding lower, 1 higher etc etc! Good stuff!

The wait is tough, but that is why we have the forums! It is a good support group! While family and friends think we are nuts, we here at the forums understand! We are either going through it with you and have gone through it and can tell you our stories!

·
Registered
514 Posts
CooperSAZ,

If you win (and my wife agrees), I'll drive the beer out to you. Seems a shame to waste the convertible on East Coast weather in December. :D

·
656 Posts
indimini said:
CooperSAZ,

If you win (and my wife agrees), I'll drive the beer out to you. Seems a shame to waste the convertible on East Coast weather in December. :D
Now, how can I say no to that! :D Deal!

While I have never been, I hear the east coast weather in December is interesting, to put it mildly...

Out here, we get sun and a high of 60-65 degrees, a low of 38! (Very cold) But then, I need to keep in mind where you guys live! Although, the weather forecasters (never right) say we are going to have a pretty strong El Nino this year! Storm that comes up alongside of Mexico and hits Arizona. They are saying 10" of rain this winter! But we shall see! My wife thinks I nuts, I was excited when I heard the news as I will get to try out the DSC on the MINI (in the rain). Otherwise, it will be always off! :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
If I get to make the trip, I just hope I don't have the weather last time I was out there (admittedly it was 6 years ago). We went out in April for a vacation (stayed in Carefree) only to find it was snowing in the desert! We had arranged for a Saab convertible thinking we'd use it everyday. Only on the last day of our trip did it get above 60 and we put the top down just so we could say we did. The locals could pretty easily tell we were from out of town with a stunt like that. :)

We had to cancel our trip up to the Grand Canyon because the interstate was snowed over. I have to admit that the desert was absolutely gorgeous in full bloom.

In the DC area, we probably get as much ice as snow. Snow storms seem to happen in the Feb time frame (or at least that's how I remember winters here). So I have about 2 months to wait for my new car and probably another 3 months before I can use it properly. :p

·
656 Posts
What a pity! Carefree is a nice town in which to stay! Ironic how the town has nice weather, someone arrives from out of state, BOOM, it snows! That's crazy!

Have you been to the Grand Canyon? It is quite the site!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Haven't made it to the Grand Canyon yet. We hopefully will get out there for vacation again in the next year or two. I also love Tuscon and the Desert museum.

If it weren't for the scorpions and the lowly Arizona Cardinals I would consider living in AZ :p

·
656 Posts
Scorpions and Cardinals, eh?

You get use to the scorpions! Besides, if you live in a home that is developed, they typically do not bother people!

Arizona Cardinals? I have nothing to say to that one! They stink! The first couple of years, the state was excited, but then the trend set in.... year after year... I know they say consistency is the key, but come on... Here's an exciting piece of info, the Cardinals are 1 of 2 teams in the NFL that posted a profit in recent years! Yeah! Funny! The Bidwells have their formula for winning. Certain salary cap, est ticket sales, estimated revenue! They are happy with it! From a business point of view, they are good, from a NFL/sports point of view, they do not help move the sport forward....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Information UPDATE...

I spoke with ASKMINI this morning to make sure all the specs of my MCS were up-to-date prior to production. The specs were fine, which is a good thing because they started the build sometime Friday.

:yellow: On its way!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts