MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Thanks for this great forum. My wife and I are dumping our leased Jeep Liberty(unsafe junk) and want to purchase a MINI. Our first date (24 years a go) was a rally and we won in a RX-7. Having driven Corvairs in High School and college, we have owned a XJS Jaguar, a 924 Porsche and still the 92 GMC.

Susan test drove a used MINI last month (5' 10" ex-model) and fell in love with the MINI. Johann wanted more for the 2002 than a new one. I have loved them since my old rally days 35 years ago but never owned one. Now we want one. Bad.

The problem is that we live in a third-world state within the USA and the only MINI dealer is not open yet (supposedly will next month). I talked to the "salesperson" and their expected inventory is a joke (mainly automatic transmissions with two packages with an unspecified "premium" package on top of those others!). In an area with over 300 days of sunshine, the new inventory includes no sunroof models.

What we are searching for is a chili red with a white (sunroof) top, not an "S". A new or "2004-5", and even recent used one would be OK. When we do on-line searches for dealers, no show up for a 250 mile radius even though Phoenix is closer than that. We are willing to travel to, or ship back, the right MINI.

If anyone can recommend a dealer, even as far away as the Hamptons, I would appreciate the recommendation. I am looking for an honest, fair deal, without the extra money "premium" additions.

Where the only question is red or green chili (prefer a red chili MINI) in New Mexico...

Mark (highdesert)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try Classic MINI of Ohio. They usually have a pretty good selection. Talk to Julie. Very helpful and will answer any questions you have. Good Luck! :cool:

·
kgouin
481 Posts
You could always order a MINI to your specifications. It only takes about 3 months for it and it is well worth the wait! I bought mine from Mini of Peabody in Massachusetts and they were great! They have a really good reputation.

·
Registered
313 Posts
MINI of the Hamptons has a reputation for having cars on the lot and build slots open. they have been shipping cars all over for a nominal fee. Give them a call or you should be able to link to them, check the sticky thread about convertibles in stock started by MOTH.

·
Poco Loco
137 Posts
You can't go wrong with MOTH, Classic or MOP. Each has a well earned reputation. MOTH and Classic have lots of experience shipping west, not sure about MOP's experience but you can ask.
Have fun building and tracking your baby's progress.
Where are you in the Land of Enchantment?

·
Happy Motorer!
60 Posts
I'm surprised MINI of North Scottsdale didn't show up on your search. I was in Scottsdale on vacation a few weeks ago and stopped by the MINI dealership there. I went in and asked if I could drive one of their convertibles, as I had one on order and had never seen one! They were very gracious and let me drive all over the place. I don't know anything about them as far as pricing, service, etc., but they seemed nice. They were on Scottsdale Road near the loop, right across from the entrance to the Fairmont Princess hotel. Hope that helps!

·
Happy Motorer!
60 Posts
BTW, just noticed in "Dealership Feedbck" section that a new MINI dealership is opening in Albuquerque... you might get in touch with the person who ordered from them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I live in Michigan, where the one MINI dealer has a generally rather poor reputation, though some people like them. I decided not to risk it and ordered from Classic MINI in Cleveland. They were very pleasant to deal with. Now I just have to wait... .

Mark

·
MINI Geek
515 Posts
MarkS said:
I live in Michigan, where the one MINI dealer has a generally rather poor reputation, though some people like them. I decided not to risk it and ordered from Classic MINI in Cleveland. They were very pleasant to deal with. Now I just have to wait... .

Mark
Mark -
go to MOTH or Classic MINI. You can't go wrong.

MarkS -
Motor City MINI isn't that bad. A few years ago they handled things poor, but now they aren't too bad. That is for their sales department. As for their service, I've heard a mixed bag with the department. Mostly bad though. That is why Classic MINI isn't too far away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, everyone, for the input.

buz,

We are 12 miles outside of Santa Fe.

De Laura,

Yea, I heard that one was located in Scottsdale, but the may be listed under another name. The new dealer in Albuquerque is the one with automatics, no sunroofs and an extra premium package. They are getting ones with heated seats. In NM! Go figure.

Regards,
Mark (highdesert)

·
Registered
201 Posts
steebo777 said:
Mark -
go to MOTH or Classic MINI. You can't go wrong.

MarkS -
Motor City MINI isn't that bad. A few years ago they handled things poor, but now they aren't too bad. That is for their sales department. As for their service, I've heard a mixed bag with the department. Mostly bad though. That is why Classic MINI isn't too far away.
Thanks. Yeah, I've heard they've made some efforts to improve things at MCM. There seems to be a theory that they tend to treat older people better than younger ones, but even though I fall into the first category I decided to play it safe. Lots of people seem very happy with Classic and I don't mind a trip to Cleveland on occasion.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Welcome to MINI2!

If price + wait isn't scaring you away, just buy new out of state, and ship back. You can get the exact car you want. Or drive back of course. If you'd like to get a car sooner, just start calling dealers and see what they have available, since many that have extra slots may have a new car coming over on the boat in a few weeks, but its more difficult to find exactly what you want then.

And as far as heated seats, given that the cold weather pack costs $300, they're actually quite popular in the south, because if you have a sore back or just like some warmth on a cooler night, they're right there and not very expensive at all. I know people who had trouble selling their MINI in Texas because buyers expected heated seats. I just drove home with mine on, and it was quite nice. Its 45 degrees out, but I use them in even warmer weather.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Go to Chicago. Either Patrick or Jacobs. Sell at list price, seems like feedback is generally good with occasional exceptions.

·
MINI Groupie
105 Posts
Congratulations on your decision to buy a MC!

I'm ordering from Sandia MINI in New Mexico. When I originally contacted them early October, they had a variety of cars arriving in Nov and Dec. I was only interested in a MCS so don't know what they had in the MC. All the MCS in the color combo I wanted had the premium package (Panoramic Sunroof, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Automatic Air Conditioning, On Board Computer). They were pre-selling their dealer spec'd orders like hotcakes so maybe all the good ones were spoken for!

Sounds like you don't want to order and want to drive one off the lot so I would suggest using the dealership map on miniusa.com. Go East young man! Just click on each dealership and call them. I originally called as far North as Chicago, down through Kansas, Missouri, Texas and over to Florida. I spoke to everyone using my 3 cents a minute/anytime/any state phone card from Costco. Put them through their paces! I never encountered anyone who wasn't helpful, pleasant or was a "typical salesperson". Everyone was happy to sell to out of state buyers with the exceptionof one dealership in Texas.

An option for locating a used one is eBay. They usually have 60 to 80 auctions. Check out the "cars for sale" posts on the various forum sites. Check out this website to download the pricing/option lists and owner's manuals. It's an invaluable resource as are the mini2 forums. http://www.motoringfile.com/

Best of luck in your quest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We just adopted a late '03 with 6,500 miles on it. Just got back from driving it home, some 1,000 miles. It is the first time that I drove this trip without back pain, those seats really work. Averaged over 30 mpg going 75 mph. Not bad. The wife loves the car and I probably will not be able to drive it much...

I've been preparing an accessory list...

Thanks for all of the comments.

Regards,
highdesert

PS The new, nearby MINI dealer is giving us grief about getting an extra key. They say that they need to see the title which is two weeks off because I bought it out-of-state. Any suggestions?

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Congrats on your adoption!

You might need to buy a second then, if you don't get to drive it ;)

They usually require some sort of proof of ownership, I'm not sure what NM gives you, but don't you have some proof of registration with your name on it? They shouldn't be too picky, as long as your ID matches some sort of official paperwork. If they're still a pain, just wait 2 weeks...

Did the car not come with 2 remote keys + the little plastic wallet key? Or you just want 3 real keys?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts