MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here, but got a question as the title suggests. My wife owns an r52 cooper S, which has the manual AC setup at the moment. What we want to do is add the auto climate control to it instead. I've had a quick search, but not seen much info about doing it other than it's a relatively big job.

I've got a full heater assembly, heater assembly wiring loom, all actuators, sensors, control panel, etc, but when plugging the heater loom's two plugs into the car's main dash loom I get no power to any of it even though I've coded it in with NCS expert.

The few results I have found suggest rewiring is involved, but that seems to be for those who didn't even have aircon to start with, whereas my wife's car does. I also found the genuine BMW retrofitting instructions on PDF, but again that's adding it to a car which didn't have aircon to begin with.

Does anyone know exactly what else is different between cars with the basic AC setup and cars with the auto AC setup so I can try to replicate the differences? Any tips will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did indeed, had to sell it when we had kids since it never got used. So I got an r33 skyline gts25t instead, which was crap in comparison despite other owners all raving about them, but still big enough to fit the kids in, and now they're big enough to not need baby seats and pushchairs I got rid of it and have now got a 300ZX instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's no point in selling it, since the one we bought has most of the toys anyway, is low mileage and is in great condition. It shouldn't be a huge job, only wiring differences it seems. I'm simply asking if anybody else has already done this and documented the differences so that I can replicate it. I've seen both heater assemblies in front of me and there are no differences other than the solenoids operating things instead of cables, and the manual heater assembly even has the fittings to take these solenoids anyway. I've also already got the heater loom, can code it into the car with NCS, etc. It also already has aircon, so it's not as if I have to worry about adding that either. Just wondering if anyone on here is familiar enough with the setup to know what I'm currently missing. As for it's worth, I've got auto climate control in my own car, and my wife has had it in her past cars too. Being able to simply set a temperature and the car maintain it itself is great, far nicer than just having three knobs which look more at home in an old rover. :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Being able to simply set a temperature and the car maintain it itself is great, far nicer than just having three knobs which look more at home in an old rover. :)
But it is an old Rover ::wink:::big_grin:
I agree, automatic climate control just takes the faff out of getting the car up to temperature in winter or cool in summer.

But TBH I think you're already way further on than anyone has ever attempted with a Mini.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If that's the case, I'll share what's involved once I figure out what bit I'm missing. I removed the dash loom too while I was getting the rest of the bits, and assumed I didn't need that bit. There's a chance I was mistaken though, so I'll see if that bit of loom is still available. It threads through the entire dash, serving the cluster, the heater loom and whatever else, and plugs into a wiring connector near the fusebox in the passenger footwell and also another connector near the BC1, so it makes sense that the additional wires I'm missing may well be in that. It also had the remains of the sat nav loom, but I won't be using that since I'm fitting an android tablet into the sat nav unit instead. Should be a 12v ignition feed on the sat nav connector I could tap into for powering the tablet though. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
NoviceMini
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing