MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know from my other thread my MINI was pinched yesterday and I have just had some alarming news.

This was not just chancers but an organised gang of car thieves who are targeting MINIs. I have just spoken to a girl who has a highly specced MINI one in Fulham and she was approached by the same two guys who took my MINI. Mine was taken at 1.00pm yesterday in Tolworth and she was approached at 3.00pm in Fulham that afternoon.

The two guys are in their early thirties. One white guy has short spikey dark brown haIr with a large cut with stitches in across his left cheekbone/eye with heavy bruising, the other guy is mixed race with light brown skin and is taller with a freckly nose.

IF ANYONE OF YOU ARE APPROACHED BY THESE GUYS CALL THE POLICE BECAUSE THEY ARE AFTER YOUR MINI :mad:

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
What do you mean she was approched by the 2 guys?
Were they threatening violence or soemthing? :(

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
@rseholes. I'd love em to approach me. They will come across the wrong person soon! I hope they get busted soon. Did these guys actually approach you then??

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yikes.

I think forums like this allow criminals access to "us" in a weird way. They can pick and choose who's near and who has the best MINI to Snatch.

Sounds like a movie.

·
The S stands for speed!
260 Posts
No one will be taking my Mini. Let's just say "My name's Friday, I carry a badge."

Motor on.

Did I mention the gun that goes with the badge? :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
interceptor said:
What do you mean she was approched by the 2 guys?
Were they threatening violence or soemthing? :(
I was basically being watched over a few days/weeks I'm not sure and two of them followed me then came into my shop and snatched my keys. There was also someone waiting in another car for them.

What I don't understand is how they find out this information in the first place or whether they just follow someone in a specific car they have been tasked to snatch and check them out over a number of days.

They didn't threaten me as they didn't need to but they were rather menacing to the other girl who also works in a shop open to the public.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
a couple of years ago my girlfriend was driving her then car Mazda MX5, she pulled up at the traffic lights and got a tap on the rear bumper from the car behind, she was just about to get out when she saw masked guys getting out of the car behind (car jackers) she shut the door floored it pulled the handbreak on and went the other way - they didnt stand a chance :D .
For peace of mind i'm glad the doors lock automatically on my MCS - so if anything like this happens again at least they cant open the door.

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
RobHardyUK said:
i wonder why specifically MINI's? Wonder what the plan is..? hmm.

Probably as they are becoming more common now, they are easy to strip and sell parts.
Im continually noticing odd Parts on Ebay off MINI's that would only come off a Written off MINI or possibly a Stolen to order MINI.

·
MINI2 Sex God & etc......
1,106 Posts
When the doors close after you set off they are closed until the car is switched off. But if that jurney is interupted by somebody hitting your mini the doors will automaticly open. This is the safety feature if you have an accident, but in some cases like carjacking they will also open if they bump you.

·
Prospective Motorist
32 Posts
Situations like this make me glad that carrying concealed firearms and the self-defense of life and property by means of deadly force are still legal in Texas. :)

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune m&m :( What I would say to you all (but more so in the UK were this type of crime is prevalent and it's illegal to carry any sort of firearm as self defence) is that it's not worh putting up a fight. These gangs are mean and ruthless, your better letting them take your car rather than maim or kill you in the process.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
UKC4 said:
When the doors close after you set off they are closed until the car is switched off. But if that jurney is interupted by somebody hitting your mini the doors will automaticly open. This is the safety feature if you have an accident, but in some cases like carjacking they will also open if they bump you.
With carjacking its usually a light tap as they dont want to damage the car they are about to steal to order so if its just the light tap like I give sometimes when parking close to my Astra to fit both cars on the driveway then this wont trigger that mechanism off - well its yet to do so anyway:)

·
That's a Gamble
110 Posts
Forgive me if this is nonsense BUT:

I'm sure a few years ago my friend knew someone who worked in the satnav / car security field and they had this card thing that had to be in the car to make it work, if the card was not in the car (ie in the drivers wallet) then the car would start and drive but would stop after a couple of hundred yards. At the time this sounded like a good idea, is this on the market? I would think that security wise anti carjacking stuff would be on the market.

Anyone know anything??

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
23 Participants
BitRot
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing